Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I don't know if this has been talked about already or not but I'm getting a lot of wheel chatter on my car. It's otherwise dialed. My car is quick and transitions as good as or better than any car I've had but I get a lot of tire screech in the turns and the car feels like it's scrubbing. Lap times are still good but I hate to think I'm giving away a tenth or two. When I run the car in circles in front of me, my front tires shake wildly. That can't be good. Anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it? I'm using the Photon Spool with the new aluminum cups and blades.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Question: it seems like the all plastic spool is the best option, just that the current versions cup arrangement is flawed. If that's the case, why not just redesign it with deeper sockets, some kind of pin arrangement, or just as a single piece?
Old 09-29-2009, 03:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DOTMAN
I don't know if this has been talked about already or not but I'm getting a lot of wheel chatter on my car. It's otherwise dialed. My car is quick and transitions as good as or better than any car I've had but I get a lot of tire screech in the turns and the car feels like it's scrubbing. Lap times are still good but I hate to think I'm giving away a tenth or two. When I run the car in circles in front of me, my front tires shake wildly. That can't be good. Anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it? I'm using the Photon Spool with the new aluminum cups and blades.
I use the original cups and there comes some play on it but they are great. My wheels don't chatter on my car.
are the cups damaged?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

what are your running akerman wise for insert and screw position on the linkage?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
Question: it seems like the all plastic spool is the best option, just that the current versions cup arrangement is flawed. If that's the case, why not just redesign it with deeper sockets, some kind of pin arrangement, or just as a single piece?
I'm curious...is the problem you are having that the spool itself wears out? I had/have an issue that over time the spool out drive have become loose in the spool. Meaning I could twist them back and forth about 3mm while still screwed into the spool. I am sure this happened over time and not from just one hit. I just bought a set of aluminum outdrives and will test them out this weekend. I'm hoping that will solve this issue.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

What happens on the v1 spool cups is that the square edges round off and then spin in the spool.

I bit the bullet and got the Titanium Racing spool - if can't see this breaking any time soon, and replacement cups if I ever need them are cheaper than a set of TOP spool cups anyway.

Plus, it looks the mutts nuts
Old 09-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Your wheels are turning to far. Your right you are scrubbing speed. Reduce your endpoints. Just turn down your dual rate. I had this problem with my xray car years ago. Spools are really hard on the front end.

Last edited by AdamD; 09-29-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)

I would like to thank Vincent,EJ for the Oppurtunity to join TEAM T.O.P.

Looking forward to working with the Team at the next race ill be racing with Fairtrace and Schreff weekly. so we should really be able to get some good setups for foam and rubber carpet cars.

I will be running mostly 17.5 rubber and foam
Old 09-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AdamD
Your wheels are turning to far. Your right you are scrubbing speed. Reduce your endpoints. Just turn down your dual rate. I had this problem with my xray car years ago. Spools are really hard on the front end.
Thanks, Adam...when I reduce steering, the car doesn't turn, particularly in tight sections
Old 09-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mikky32
I use the original cups and there comes some play on it but they are great. My wheels don't chatter on my car.
are the cups damaged?
The original cups stripped. I switched to the new aluminum cups. They are not damaged
Old 09-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HenBeav
what are your running akerman wise for insert and screw position on the linkage?
I'm running mid ackerman with the 10 insert. And I have the the links on the forward hole on the steering knuckle. I have the arms back too. I have a 1mm spacer behind the front arm
Old 09-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks, Adam...when I reduce steering, the car doesn't turn, particularly in tight sections
Its hard to say how to get your car to turn or rotate better without knowing your setup or what type of track your running on. I know from experience that a good setup will allow you to turn your dual rate down. You should not need 95 on your dual rate to go through a 180 type turn. Is your car pushing off power or is it not rotating through the corner?
Old 09-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

you should only need about 20-22deg of steering through on most tracks or maybe 25 on the more the small technical indoor ones, any more than that and you giving up tons of corner speed.

If you don't have gauges to check steering throw use a 1mm gap between the steering knuckle and caster block as your max throw.

Regarding the spool I would recommend using the updated plastic spool body w/ the optional aluminum cups. The cups don't come loos from the updated body and with more load being absorbed by the cup with the fixed body the stronger cups solve the wear problem.

Mark
Old 09-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)

well on a photon your not getting anywhere near 20-25 degrees or more i think if u get 16 you have maxed out most cars i seen (photons) 14 15 is the avg i seen a bit more on my car but maybe like 15 heavy thats it with a proper setup thats plenty my car steers plenty and im at 80 percent d/r with 15 degrees and there is no problems indoors on carpet or asphalt
Old 09-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DENNIS STORTI
I would like to thank Vincent,EJ for the Oppurtunity to join TEAM T.O.P.

Looking forward to working with the Team at the next race ill be racing with Fairtrace and Schreff weekly. so we should really be able to get some good setups for foam and rubber carpet cars.

I will be running mostly 17.5 rubber and foam
Dennis, congratulation on the sponsorship....Hit me up when your coming to LA..

Dotman(oliver) I noticed EJ car had the same problem at iic race. His car was chattering alot in the turns and his car was still very FAST..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.