Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Yokomo TC, the BD-5

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey jimmy checkout the spool that tir racing offers for the bd it's pretty sweet later joey
Old 07-31-2009, 12:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Elwyn, set me aside a set of graphite parts. I will PM you later. On my way to a warmup race this weekend. Thanks.
Sure, will reserved you a set of graphite parts.

Jimmy, you want the wing mount too?
Old 07-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

congrats to volker so far qualifier #2 behind Jilles
Old 08-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

what's up with the upper deck on volker's car? .... i wonder what this gives the car in terms of handling. and if this will be available for purchase ....

and why's he using a conventional sway bar moung in the rear of the car? interesting to know the thinking behind these mods.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mounting the sways on the arms like that put more leverage on the arms since they are farther out on the arm compared to stock location. Just another tuning option. You seen how big the track was they were running on?!!!

Well ran my BD5 over the weekend. I didn't do too good. BMain. The track had more traction than a carpet track! I broke 4 spool drive cups, one caster block, and one spindle. Some how, I even ended up pulling the shock end off the shock shaft without breaking any thing?? And I even pulled the servo up off the chassis. Next time I will shoe goo that bitch down! Ending up going back to oneway. But on the layout, my car was hard for me to push it. Very hard to drive. It was good on some sections, but very inconsistent on others. Especially the 180° sweeper at the end of the straight. I could never hit it the same each lap.

What will help though is the new graphite suspension set which I will order from Elwyn tonight. The stock suspension just flexed too much. Not good on this very high traction track. Can't wait to get those in. I'll be back at that track next month. I at least have a starting setup now.

A good note though, the chassis did not tweak at all with such high traction. I even managed to get the car airborne about 5-6 feet up cartwheeling in the air. No tweak!

Also, the MaxConcept steel diff showed no signs of wear. It held it's setting all weekend long. And still remains ultra smooth. Only down side is stock/17.5 running. I feel it's just too heavy to run for stock. Not only is it 22.4g heavier than a stock diff, but it adds that weight to the rear end. Next time I'll run the aluminum diff. I'll save the steel diff for club racing.

Overall the car did okay, but not as good as I wanted. I think the hard arm set will improve that. Elwyn, I'll be ordering from ya in a few hours!

Oh and congrats to Ronald for 3rd at the Euros!
Old 08-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

bro, maybe u should use front steel spool ....
Old 08-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Jimmy is the track just that tight and technical or is it all just about the unreal level of traction that caused your trouble. Pics make it look like a tight technical track. Heard about the traction levels!!!

Rod
Old 08-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What up Rod. Well the traction is kind of inconsistent. I think over the course of the day as the temps warm up inside, the traction goes up and up and stays up. Most used spool (because of the hairpin at the end of the straight). But in past, it is a oneway dominate track. It was pretty technical and super duper high traction. Many were traction rolling. Going softer on the spring helped a lot with that. I still think oneways are the best for 17.5. I just was not able to come around on my setup till the end. But I geared wrong and setup my brakes wrong. Tekin brakes are very inconsistent. But I think I have it figured out now. My friend (Timmie) finished 4th in the A. He was running a oneway as well. He got his setup figured out in time. I ended up on 3.5 mm front and 4mm rear ride height with Hara Black springs up front and Hara Grey in the rear. The track is very smooth. I didn't have a traction rolling problem at all. Just keeping the rear end down and consistent.

Steel spool? I think not. My friend worn out his steel axles and bones using a steel spool on day one of practice. But switched to oneway. Now he has to replace it all. I think another guy wore out his ECS axles on his XRay. I used MuchMore joint lube on mine. So far it's holding up. But with that level of traction, I wouldn't go steel on steel.

I need those arms!!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Jimmy, for the servo issue. Maybe you can try Yokomo ZC-203 servo tape.
Once you use it, the servo is hard to seperate from your chassis. Yokomo Japan drivers use it on the BD5
Old 08-03-2009, 03:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

guys, i just receive a prototype spool for BD5.....

the cup is made from steel...middle part is aluminum...

Old 08-03-2009, 04:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I am using the Jaad spool for the old BD. It is lightweight and has steel outdrives. I should have weighed it before I put it in but I believe it is equal or very close to the Yokomo BD-5 spool with the plastic outdrives. I think it can do this because there is less meat where the pulley attaches.

If I get a chance I will pull it out and weigh it and report back.

I agree the arms have a lot of flex. I just ordered a compete set.

Has anyone tried the optional rear arms with differing shock positions?

Also. My servo came up also so I shoegoo'ed it and haven't had a problem since!

Last edited by fpart; 08-03-2009 at 05:18 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default Volker's car

In the photo of Volker's car a few post ago, there are body post sticking out of the body, but there's no chassis mounted???

I've never seen that before. Can someone explain?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geppetto
In the photo of Volker's car a few post ago, there are body post sticking out of the body, but there's no chassis mounted???

I've never seen that before. Can someone explain?
Look really hard you can see the ESC wires and the belt do believe that was his wet/dry car. Some of the guys had two cars depending on whether it rained or not.

Rod
Old 08-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Mounting the sways on the arms like that put

Oh and congrats to Ronald for 3rd at the Euros!
He could have won if Rheinard hadn't hit him....
Old 08-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RKeasler
Look really hard you can see the ESC wires and the belt do believe that was his wet/dry car. Some of the guys had two cars depending on whether it rained or not.

Rod
Ok. I see it now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.