Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Yokomo TC, the BD-5

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1
When might this car be available in the States?
Right now Yokomo Japan is still holding to the March 24th release date, which means we should see it here in the states 1st week of April (assuming no delay at customs)

We hope to start pre-orders for the kit the week before the release (at the latest)

Steve
Old 03-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by PW
Congrats on the new venture
Hi Paul,

Thank you. Long time no see/talk Hope all is well at J-Concepts

Steve
Old 03-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YokomoAmerica
Yes, it is true. Masami will retire this year from racing and concentrating on driver support/training and marketing for Yokomo Japan. This was announced I believe recently at the Reedy off-road Race at Yatabe Arena last weekend. His protege Naoto will be a force to be reckon with (who finished 2nd at the Reedy off-road race this past weekend) and who is also the current 1/12th IFMAR champion. Sad to see Masami stop racing...I remember the first time I saw him race I was just starting out in TC and the worlds that year was at a local track (Revelation Raceway) and watching him practice 1/12th pan car was just phenominal...8+ minutes and less than inches from the boards and never touched them...and then he started driving with his feet, I almost fell on my face

We hope to invite Masami to US in the future where he can hang out at local on and off-road track and provide tutorial for the local racers

Steve Wang
It would be neat if Yokomo offered a "Yokomo Driver's Training" program for all Yokomo customers interested, similar to what BMW does. You can learn how to drive and setup your car to be more competitive at your track and on the national scene. Do you know how awesome that would be?

Sad to see Masami retire. He was definitely a force to be reckoned with.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarryN
So Masami-san retired? Noo...
Japan RC Sports & RC World magazine posted
Old 03-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi Guys,

Although Masami have retired, Yokomo do have a group of "young guns" that they recently signed (or about to sign) that will be racing hard and fast for Yokomo. Announcement to come next week and these drivers will be trained and supported by one of the best driver ever in the R/C industry...Masami.

Steve Wang
Old 03-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Sucks to see Masami retiring. He was the only one to make the A at the TC world's all 5 times it was held. I don't think he ever finished worse than 4th either. It would have been awesome to see him win the TC world's once before he retired, but with guys like Reinhard and Hara around, I don't think that would have happened.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Ok Gentlemen, is about that time...

Hi Guys,

With the BD-5 a few weeks away, we are ready to put in our order with Yokomo Japan. Our website is still being constructed and tested in the final stages, and should be available in about a week to 10 days. However, those of you that wish to get on a "early" pre-order list with us, please send me an email at:

[email protected] (Our temporary email until the actual website one is setup)

There's no commitment, you don't need to supply any payment information just yet. It's just sort of a "show of hands" how many of you want one procedure, we want to make sure we bring in more than enough units of BD-5 for the US market. We foresee that it will be a very quick selling first batch and we don't want any one to be caught out without a kit Price of the kits is still holding around $450 range (and we do not expect it to be higher than that), but as mentioned before, we are working hard to bring the price of the kit down further.

For those of you wondering about lipo batteries, yes, it will accept lipo (woohoo!) as long as the height of the lipo is no more than 25mm (EFRA and IFMAR rules have it capped at 23.5mm) so it should accommodate all legal Lipo batteries.

Thanks everyone!

Steve Wang
Old 03-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Elite

Hi Guys,

With the BD-5 a few weeks away, we are ready to put in our order with Yokomo Japan. Our website is still being constructed and tested in the final stages, and should be available in about a week to 10 days. However, those of you that wish to get on a "early" pre-order list with us, please send me an email at:

[email protected] (Our temporary email until the actual website one is setup)

There's no commitment, you don't need to supply any payment information just yet. It's just sort of a "show of hands" how many of you want one procedure, we want to make sure we bring in more than enough units of BD-5 for the US market. We foresee that it will be a very quick selling first batch and we don't want any one to be caught out without a kit Price of the kits is still holding around $450 range (and we do not expect it to be higher than that), but as mentioned before, we are working hard to bring the price of the kit down further.

For those of you wondering about lipo batteries, yes, it will accept lipo (woohoo!) as long as the height of the lipo is no more than 25mm (EFRA and IFMAR rules have it capped at 23.5mm) so it should accommodate all legal Lipo batteries.

Thanks everyone!

Steve Wang
How aboot the 5000+ mah batteries?
Old 03-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

How aboot the 5000+ mah batteries?
The Smc 5200 and the Thunder Power 5000 are less then 25mm so they should fit.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:03 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Hey Steve,

Nice to see you sticking around the industry, and good luck with the new venture. I started out racing Yokomos on the on-road side and it's great to see them making a comeback over here.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scott B
The Smc 5200 and the Thunder Power 5000 are less then 25mm so they should fit.
Great news indeed! We know the lower and top chassis seperation. Now, how about rubbing agains the main pulley or drive belt to the front? Is the offset for the batteries enough to allow a LiPo 5000+ mah to fit without rubbing against these crucial parts?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by futureal
Hey Steve,

Nice to see you sticking around the industry, and good luck with the new venture. I started out racing Yokomos on the on-road side and it's great to see them making a comeback over here.
Thanks Shane, hope you're doing well

Steve
Old 03-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Great news indeed! We know the lower and top chassis seperation. Now, how about rubbing agains the main pulley or drive belt to the front? Is the offset for the batteries enough to allow a LiPo 5000+ mah to fit without rubbing against these crucial parts?
I don't think it will rub against the pulley, and I think the drive belt to the front is on the otherside of the spur gear (spur gear is in the middle with the drive pulley on each side) the one going to the front is on the side opposite of the battery, so this allows the battery to tuck in closer to the center line of the car

Steve
Old 03-07-2009, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

I don't think it will rub against the pulley, and I think the drive belt to the front is on the otherside of the spur gear (spur gear is in the middle with the drive pulley on each side) the one going to the front is on the side opposite of the battery, so this allows the battery to tuck in closer to the center line of the car

Steve
Damn awesome. Thanks again Steve!

If you keep this up, Yokomo will be a super popular car to have at everyone's tracks. Just promise us that mistakes from the past (poor parts support or even any support at all) will remain in the past and it was what made this car disappear in the first place.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:48 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

interested steve, keep us posted.

R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.