R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #91
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,530
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default

my friend used a spx this past weekend in mod TC using 5.5 and no heatsink on esc with no thermal issues. Air temp was mid to high 70's track temp was 110
The Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #92
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,126
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wease View Post
my friend used a spx this past weekend in mod TC using 5.5 and no heatsink on esc with no thermal issues. Air temp was mid to high 70's track temp was 110
I ran profile #2, with a 4.5 and the esc was barely warm (even without the heatsink). It worked great.

Also, has anyone noticed the brakes have improved over the Tc spec in the SPX? For some reason my SPX feels like I just put brembro brakes on my car LMAO.

-Korey
__________________
Xray - RC America - Hudy - Apex RC - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - RC Mission America - SpeedZombi - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #93
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,052
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
From my understanding, switching from Sphere TC to SPX Stock Spec, I suppose to lower 2-3 tooth on the pinion when running profile 5-8 with a stock motor.

Do I have to lower 2-3 tooth on the pinion if I am running a modified motor with Profile 2 or 3?
No - on profiles 1-5 or 6, the speedo acts like a Sphere '07, so no special gearing is required like profiles 7 and 8.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #94
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 459
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
No - on profiles 1-5 or 6, the speedo acts like a Sphere '07, so no special gearing is required like profiles 7 and 8.
I read somewhere that profile 1-4 on SPX Stock Spec is the same as profile 1-4 on Sphere TC, which is supposed to be more aggressive then the regular Sphere Competition. I wish LRP could publish more info about this.

Thanks guys.
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #95
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 459
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
I ran profile #2, with a 4.5 and the esc was barely warm (even without the heatsink). It worked great.

-Korey
Hey Korey, thanks for sharing. What was the approx air temp at your track?

How is profile 2 with SPX Stock Spec and 4.5T, as compared to Sphere TC, assuming you have used Sphere TC previously?
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #96
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,530
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
I ran profile #2, with a 4.5 and the esc was barely warm (even without the heatsink). It worked great.

Also, has anyone noticed the brakes have improved over the Tc spec in the SPX? For some reason my SPX feels like I just put brembro brakes on my car LMAO.

-Korey
My bad I thought it was a 5.5
The Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #97
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 459
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wease View Post
My bad I thought it was a 5.5
I see, it was Korey you were referring to
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #98
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,126
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wease View Post
My bad I thought it was a 5.5
No worries, I wasn't even 100% sure you were talking about me

Profile 2 and 3 felt the same as they did on my TC spec I had previously. I will probably add the heatsink and wire a fan up regardless though. It never hurts and only makes the ESC run better than it already does right now. I always remember people from Novak saying the cooler the ESC is, the better. It just works better, plus it puts less strain on all the components.

-Korey
__________________
Xray - RC America - Hudy - Apex RC - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - RC Mission America - SpeedZombi - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #99
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,305
Default

I never messed with a esc like this, I just got the SPX and a 17.5 Duo. The track is 100' x 36'. Where should I start with a FDR? Thanks
__________________
Sponsored by mooby 64
outlandr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #100
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,530
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlandr91 View Post
I never messed with a esc like this, I just got the SPX and a 17.5 Duo. The track is 100' x 36'. Where should I start with a FDR? Thanks
On a track 100' x 60' I was at 3.92 fdr .Duo was set a 0 timing
spx settings were 1-7-2-2 motor was at 146 degrees after 6 minutes
The Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #101
Tech Addict
 
burito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 511
Default

As for the comparison of the profiles between SPX StockSpec (#80710) and Sphere Competition (#80700) or Sphere Competition TC-Spec (#80750)

80700 vs. 80750:
- later batches of both models had identical profiles and hardware, only difference was the integrated heatsink/fan on 80750.
- earlier batches of 80700 (before 2007-edition came out and first batch of 2007-edition) had slightly different hardware but software was always identical.

profile difference between 80710 vs. 80700/80750:
- profiles 1-4 are identical on all speedos.
- 5-8 on 80710 are the real stock profiles, 7+8 are the extreme ones were you need much lower gearing.
- 5+6 on 80710 are actually fairly similar to 7+8 on 80700/80750 (but not identical)

hardware difference between 80710 vs. 80700/80750:
- apart from the obvious (heatsink/fan) there is also a hardware change in 80710 which was needed to gain most of advanced timing features.
- this change also had a nice side effect of a stronger push brake on 80710 (dragbrake is not affected).
- fet's and other hardware is identical between all 3 speedos.


Complicated to explain, but I hope I could help a bit.
__________________
Reto Koenig
burito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #102
Tech Addict
 
burito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
In Europe, the motors come with the sensor lead, but the speedos don't. Best to double check, since I think the packaging and product are the same the World over. HTH
Correct for products sold until half a year ago or so but not now anymore! It was decided to include the sensor lead with the speedos now instead of the motors. So all LRP sensored brushless speed-controls now have a 200mm sensor wire included while the LRP brushless motors don't come with a sensor wire anymore.

Of course there can still be stock in hobbyshops of previous versions!
__________________
Reto Koenig
burito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:35 PM   #103
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burito View Post
Correct for products sold until half a year ago or so but not now anymore! It was decided to include the sensor lead with the speedos now instead of the motors. So all LRP sensored brushless speed-controls now have a 200mm sensor wire included while the LRP brushless motors don't come with a sensor wire anymore.

Of course there can still be stock in hobbyshops of previous versions!
I bought my last LRP motor over a year ago, so sorry for misleading people. LRP build 'em tough, so you won't need more than one motor!!
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:30 AM   #104
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 459
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burito View Post
As for the comparison of the profiles between SPX StockSpec (#80710) and Sphere Competition (#80700) or Sphere Competition TC-Spec (#80750)

80700 vs. 80750:
- later batches of both models had identical profiles and hardware, only difference was the integrated heatsink/fan on 80750.
- earlier batches of 80700 (before 2007-edition came out and first batch of 2007-edition) had slightly different hardware but software was always identical.

profile difference between 80710 vs. 80700/80750:
- profiles 1-4 are identical on all speedos.
- 5-8 on 80710 are the real stock profiles, 7+8 are the extreme ones were you need much lower gearing.
- 5+6 on 80710 are actually fairly similar to 7+8 on 80700/80750 (but not identical)

hardware difference between 80710 vs. 80700/80750:
- apart from the obvious (heatsink/fan) there is also a hardware change in 80710 which was needed to gain most of advanced timing features.
- this change also had a nice side effect of a stronger push brake on 80710 (dragbrake is not affected).
- fet's and other hardware is identical between all 3 speedos.


Complicated to explain, but I hope I could help a bit.
Hi Reto, I am glad that you jumped in to answer these questions. It cleared up a lot of confusions and also made the transition much easier. I have purchased 2 SPX Stock Spec and plan to test it this weekend. I may purchase 1 or 2 more after testing it, since I have multiple cars.

May I know if the heat sink is needed for Stock/Mod 2wd buggy, Stock/Mod Truck, 10.5T Touring Car? I prefer not to use the heat sink, so I can interchange the ESCs whenever necessary as the heat sink is too tall for my B4's stock body.

Will the performance drop when the ESC heats up?
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:41 AM   #105
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 459
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Hey Reto, by the way, would the upcoming SXX have any super agressive profile for stock motors, similar to SPX Stock Spec's profile 7-8?
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LRP SXX TC SPEC Stein Tumert Electric On-Road 190 08-20-2012 05:52 AM
10.5 Setups matrix101 Australian Racing 14 06-05-2009 03:27 AM
LRP SPX and TC-SPEC Tral Radio and Electronics 15 04-21-2009 06:07 PM
LRP SPX Brushless Competition StockSpec ESC mazmo Australian Racing 10 02-16-2009 12:44 PM
LRP SPX Bullet Revise Burshless/Brush ESC chappi Australia For Sale/Trade 15 12-31-2008 08:29 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:49 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net