Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by m3ndo5a
Oneway.

You guys are the best at what you do...I am sure someone is going to make it fit. The front bulk head is exactly the same. I tried to ordering the housing from Champ and they informed me that it would not fit..I thought that was good business, because they could have sold it to me and let me find out the hard way.
Thats probably good business practices by Champ. But the small amount of shaving to make the holes a little offset is a small price to pay to use your original 415 one ways and spools.

Chassis

As fas as the chassis goes....the holes are off...depending how ur looking at it. With MRE on top of the old chassis...the front inner suspension block does not line up and from the rear the inner suspenaion block does not line up. Although the old steering post holes line up. And there is one other crazy cut on the Hardware side that has a hole where the ESC would go....almost looks like its here for a Motor Fan Post? Just counting there 5 additional drilled out holes.
Not sure why but the MSX also came drilled for the original 415trf chassis stiffener posts. There might be differences between the suspension block mountings, there is a difference between the msx and original 415 also. As you have to shim the arms anyhow, its not a problem. Just changes how many shims your need to position the arms. The big holes where the elecs go, this i beleive is supposed to have a kind of cooling duct. read a few pages back, one of the guys showed some pics of the holes with the duct in place. Very similar to the TC4 cooling setup. Considering i already have a good fan setup for my motors, id just tape across the holes.

Arms

This chassis is using the regular LWT arms..parts number 51104....The evo5 has the HOPS parts number 53928. But if you put both arms side by side they are the same size...it might take you a caliper to tell you different..There are less mounting hole on the Hops and the good thing about the hops is they are cheaper in price....
Ive seen this a couple of times, some parts being essentially the same part, yet different numbers so its suited for different cars. For instance, im running the TA05 LWS set on my MSX (sold the 05), Yet the box noted the fitment of the LWS to the TA05 and the TB02 only. no mention on what swingshafts etc is needed for the MSX, and this LWS has a different number to the MSX LWS set...
Old 08-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

ahah found it.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-158.jpg  
Old 08-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am new to al this Tamiya and like all 13 cars or whatever they have out now. I am familiar with Kyosho as their offroad line sounds like Tamyias onroad lineup. I went to their site and saw the MSX and marcs edition car... but if I was going to go out and buy a car to run for stock or 19t carpet....which Tamiya kit would I buy?

Also who are some good online retailers as locally there is no tamiya support..

Thanks
Old 08-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Default status update

any word on a front diff for the msx??
Old 08-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Front diff half way down the page

Charles
Old 08-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Tech Champion

Arms

This chassis is using the regular LWT arms..parts number 51104....The evo5 has the HOPS parts number 53928. But if you put both arms side by side they are the same size...it might take you a caliper to tell you different..There are less mounting hole on the Hops and the good thing about the hops is they are cheaper in price....
Evo5 arms are shorter, by about 1.5mm (measuring between inner and outer hinge pin points). Also they dont have the rib's running done the outer section (which occasionally rubbed on wheels, and why I removed that material anyway).
As mentioned, they have less mounting holes (I believe it's the outer hole thats been removed).
They will affect how the car handles.... the shorter arms seem to be better suited to indoor carpet racing (very similar in length to the Cyclone/pro4 suspension, which a number of TRF guys use indoors)

HiH
Ed
Old 08-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ultragraffics
I am new to al this Tamiya and like all 13 cars or whatever they have out now. I am familiar with Kyosho as their offroad line sounds like Tamyias onroad lineup. I went to their site and saw the MSX and marcs edition car... but if I was going to go out and buy a car to run for stock or 19t carpet....which Tamiya kit would I buy?

Also who are some good online retailers as locally there is no tamiya support..

Thanks
Simple; Evo5....

Car is up to spec, and already setup for indoor (what with the short arms, see above). Also shaft seems to be suited well too 27t and 19t... belt working best in 19t and mod.

MRE is effectively the latest development of the 415.

Only really two cars in the top spec racing line up at the moment. TRF415 MSX MRE and TB Evo5. the original MSX, I believe, is no longer avaliable (much like the MS varient before it).

MRE is the 4th update to the 415.
TRF415
TRF415 MS
TRF415 MSX
TRF415 MSX MRE

Now if you'd said outdoor... I'd say MRE

(If you haven't guessed have an Evo5 for indoor work, and the MRE on the way to replace the MSX for outdoor )

HiH
Ed
Old 08-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Tech Champion

Chassis
As fas as the chassis goes....the holes are off...depending how ur looking at it. With MRE on top of the old chassis...the front inner suspension block does not line up and from the rear the inner suspenaion block does not line up. Although the old steering post holes line up. And there is one other crazy cut on the Hardware side that has a hole where the ESC would go....almost looks like its here for a Motor Fan Post? Just counting there 5 additional drilled out holes.
Some pages back Rick Howett mentioned that the wider holes by the inner suspension block holes are ment for wider suspension blocks.... apparently tried by the TRF guys, not heard anymore over it.

It's true that the original 415 and MS/MSX varients have different mounting points for there blocks, the inner holes are closer to the bulkheads. Shown by needing shorter hinger pins for the MS/MSX cars (46mm v 48.5mm).
If I remember rightly the 4mm carpet chassis came with the 48.5mm lenght hinge pins, with the spacing the same as the original 415.

HiH
Ed
Old 08-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

So would an original TRF415 be ideal for indoor carpet?

Thanks,
Old 08-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by CRASH
So would an original TRF415 be ideal for indoor carpet?

Thanks,
Old 08-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

EVO5 via TRF415 Stock or 19t carpet

Depending on what type of trigger finger you have..
The 415 feels very smooth on carpet...more relaxed
While the EVOs tends to drive hard....or seems more punchy. If you plan to run Mod in the Future you may want to go with the 415MSX/MRE whatever.

The drivetrain on the EVO5 is amazing. It spins like sooo freely....I was able to get my MSX and TA05 to do the same but it took sometime. Less friction means more power, taller gears and less strain on the motor.......

Good luck in the World Of Tamiya
Old 08-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxepower
Old 08-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

Some thoughts about the MRE...

I was a little dissapointed regarding the steering blocks. I was a little shock to find out that we need to shave a little off the beautiful ba-lu anodize aluminium ....Couldn't Tamiya add another few more programs to their CNC to correct that....??

Any word of a front one-way in the works? I know the existing one from the MSX doesn't quite fit unless we shave off some material from the pulley...
Old 08-03-2006, 08:02 PM
KoE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ben.C
...Any word of a front one-way in the works? I know the existing one from the MSX doesn't quite fit unless we shave off some material from the pulley...
can't wait to see my buddy's face when he knows about this coz he just bought a complete set of front 1way thinking it would be a nice fit
Old 08-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackKat
What's up "harshman"?

Another RDX > Tamiya convert
...don't call me a convert yet, Next Saturday I'll do a "head to head" with the Corally on asphalt ...next month a "head to head" with it on carpet, then we'll decide what's up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.