Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

anyways thanx.. but for the mean time... i wanna hear oppinions about gearing my superstock TZ???

the racetrack is large... a nice wide stretch and technical inside.. and what do you think should be my gearing???
Old 06-03-2006, 03:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edracer1
HELP
What type of drives do most of you guys run?

Front one-way?
Front diff?
Front spool?
The direct center drive or the one-way center drive?

If I run a Spool or Front Diff should I run the direct center drive?

Can I make a Front Diff out of the rear diff parts or only the Yokomo parts as listed in the Tamiya site?

Thank you, Thank you.
Usually I run;
Indoors - Dual one-ways (rubber tyres/carpet)
Outdoors - Spool and locked centre.

I know a lot of people like to run a diff indoors with foams, and I have found that on very low grip and tight tracks a diff works well too (with a locked centre pulley)

HiH
Ed
Old 06-03-2006, 07:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Tryhard ,
I was going over the close-up pics of some the cars at the Reedy Race and noticed that seems to be the usual setup for them too. But I can't tell in some of the cars. Anyway, I just ordered a spool and direct center drive. You know I haven't even gotten my car yet and I've spent over $300 on spare parts and hopups. Hopefully it will be shipped soon.

One more question, is the TAO5 center drive conversion one-way or direct drive? I admit I already ordered it with the assumption it's direct drv but now I'm not sure.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks Tryhard ,
I was going over the close-up pics of some the cars at the Reedy Race and noticed that seems to be the usual setup for them too. But I can't tell in some of the cars. Anyway, I just ordered a spool and direct center drive. You know I haven't even gotten my car yet and I've spent over $300 on spare parts and hopups. Hopefully it will be shipped soon.

One more question, is the TAO5 center drive conversion one-way or direct drive? I admit I already ordered it with the assumption it's direct drv but now I'm not sure.
It's direct drive for the TA05 conversion, the TA05 oneway set doesn't work on the 415, as the belts are swapped over (on the 05 the front belt is on the right, on the 415 on the left).

HiH
Ed
Old 06-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

HELP
What type of drives do most of you guys run?

Front one-way?
Front diff?
Front spool?
The direct center drive or the one-way center drive?

If I run a Spool or Front Diff should I run the direct center drive?

Can I make a Front Diff out of the rear diff parts or only the Yokomo parts as listed in the Tamiya site?

Thank you, Thank you.
what edd said was correct most people run spool and fixed layshaft out doors but always give the one way a good test cos you will be faster with it what i tend to do is fun the front one only first get the car planted on that then stick the centre one in and i found you can go at least a 10th a sec faster plus the added bonus is you dont get the scrub with a one way un like a spool so that has gotta be better al round
Old 06-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Well i tested the TiR spool at stafford today and it works a treat , the fact it is so much lighter than the one-way seems to aid the top speed and punch coming out of the corners. Just need some tips on how to get more mid corner grip on such a dusty low grip track.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

can anyone tell me on mark rheinards rubber tire setup on tamiyas website it mentions 1 transparent o-ring for each of the shocks. does that go inside to limit the travel or on the outside of the shaft. i would think its on the outside since travel is adjusted by the droop screws. just want to be sure and learn some stuff. thanx. much appreciated!!
Old 06-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by xtrememadness
can anyone tell me on mark rheinards rubber tire setup on tamiyas website it mentions 1 transparent o-ring for each of the shocks. does that go inside to limit the travel or on the outside of the shaft. i would think its on the outside since travel is adjusted by the droop screws. just want to be sure and learn some stuff. thanx. much appreciated!!
Actually... I'm pretty sure it goes in the top of the shocks, replacin/in addition to the foam spacer. It will basically alter the shock damping.
A common trick indoors on carpet is to use a heavier oil, but with no foam spacer, as this effectively reduces the pack (i think) of the shock, making it smoother.
Outdoors, increasing the pack (ie making the shock more responsive) could be desired. Also the O-rings are probably more consistent than the foam.

HiH
Ed
Old 06-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

thanx tryhard. this car is alot more tuneable than my tc3. im still learning it. by the way thanx for your website. its been xtremely helpful. especially figuring out all the toe blocks!!!
Old 06-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

glad i had my TLT-1 at the track today, needed a knuckle, lol.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Hi guys...I avoided posting this until I gave it a try and for Tamiya USA to post it but here's a sneak peak of Marc's Reedy Race setup that Kiyo kindly wrote down. We sweated it out at the track today (freaking hot) trying it out and it is money Wished I went towards this setup direction last week...doh!

Note: The foam and o-ring part on the setup sheet is blank. There was nothing in the shock except the seal. Also, I believe that the front toe is 1.5 total.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-mr-415-setup-reedy.jpg  
Old 06-03-2006, 11:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rtypec
Hi guys...I avoided posting this until I gave it a try and for Tamiya USA to post it but here's a sneak peak of Marc's Reedy Race setup that Kiyo kindly wrote down. We sweated it out at the track today (freaking hot) trying it out and it is money Wished I went towards this setup direction last week...doh!

Note: The foam and o-ring part on the setup sheet is blank. There was nothing in the shock except the seal. Also, I believe that the front toe is 1.5 total.
thanks for the setup! what kind of silver springs was Marc using? HPI?

how the heck did he get the car to turn with a spool & 3deg rear toe-in ?? i tried that at the Tamiya track but my car just keep pushing. i know he's the world champ and i'm not... but stilll... what an amazing guy...
Old 06-04-2006, 06:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ok wait,
The "kit" say the rear suspension blocks are 1XD ft and 1B rear (for 3-deg toe-in) but "Marc's setup" says 1XB ft and 1D. Is this still a 3-deg toe-in?

Can SOMEONE list the difference in all the blocks and explain?
Old 06-04-2006, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

If you go to Tryhard's website there is information on all the suspension block angles

Charles
Old 06-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Charles Godwin
If you go to Tryhard's website there is information on all the suspension block angles

Charles
It appears that both have a 3-deg toe-in..so what has changed? I mean if both have a 3-deg toe-in, what setting is now differrent between the block sets and what is the expected effect.

Another question, are the different degree rear hubs a change in caster? For example does the 0-deg hub vs 1-deg hub vs 2-deg hub mean each tilts back one more degree than the next?

And thanks Charles for directing me to his site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.