Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just pulled mine out to update the electronics and get back into the hobby. Put a Tekin RS pro in with the 17.5 motor. Now I have to figure out where to gear this thing.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys,

Just picked up a new in box (unassembled) 415 msx mre. My intention is to use it in VTA or GT with a 25.5 or 21.5. But before I assemble it I would like to know what it's worth. I may be better off selling it and getting something a little more up to date. None of the packages have been opened. It's as if it just came off the shelf at the hobby shop.

If I do assemble it and race it, I need to put some kind of a diff in the front. Aside from putting the same diff in the front that's in the back, what are my options? The bulkheads look pretty far apart on this thing. I have a 417 and love the diff in it. I also have a Spec R gear diff in the front of the 417 that is awesome. Would love to be able to upgrade the 415 to something as nice.

Thanks
Andy
Old 02-20-2011, 12:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by woodys3b
Hey guys,

Just picked up a new in box (unassembled) 415 msx mre. My intention is to use it in VTA or GT with a 25.5 or 21.5. But before I assemble it I would like to know what it's worth. I may be better off selling it and getting something a little more up to date. None of the packages have been opened. It's as if it just came off the shelf at the hobby shop.

If I do assemble it and race it, I need to put some kind of a diff in the front. Aside from putting the same diff in the front that's in the back, what are my options? The bulkheads look pretty far apart on this thing. I have a 417 and love the diff in it. I also have a Spec R gear diff in the front of the 417 that is awesome. Would love to be able to upgrade the 415 to something as nice.

Thanks
Andy
I am planing to install the spec R Gear diff for the 416 in my 415 in the rear with spool in front.

Currently i run the 416 16T center pulley with the 36 Pulleys . Fot this i use the cyclone 169T belt in front, and a xray 60T belt in the rear.

For the spec r diff mod i have to change the belt to the 170T Cyclone TC belt in front, and the xray T2009 61T belt in the rear by using the 37T Oneway puley in front as well.

Back to your question:
There is/was a ball diff for the 415 in the front available. But i think it is pretty hard to get. Dont know if you should sell it or build and race it.

I am pretty happy with mine, because i have tonns of spares, and i can attach Lipos easyly with my stick pack conversion modd.

Greetings Rainer

Tamiya TRF415-wp_000245.jpg Tamiya TRF415-wp_000279.jpg
Old 02-20-2011, 03:14 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Rainer,

That's some really good feedback. If I can use Spec-R gear diffs in both ends, I'd be very happy with that.

Do you have any issues with the 950 wheel bearings? Is it worth the effort to go to 416/417 knuckles/uprights/axles in order to use 1050 bearings?

Are you using the Tamiya stick pack chassis or is there some other option out there that I'm not aware of?

Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Rainer,

That's some really good feedback. If I can use Spec-R gear diffs in both ends, I'd be very happy with that.

Do you have any issues with the 950 wheel bearings? Is it worth the effort to go to 416/417 knuckles/uprights/axles in order to use 1050 bearings?

Are you using the Tamiya stick pack chassis or is there some other option out there that I'm not aware of?

Thanks again.
In the front of the car you cant install a rear diff because of the middle belt layout. Oneway or spool is possible or the (hard to get) ball diff.

I am using the parts from the stick pack conversion set. combined with the bittydesign lipo tray for the 415.

This tray was designed for all 415 with enough offset tho fit all lipos in the car.

I shaved of about 7 mm offset, from the tray and can attach 60C Lipos completly balanced and gat about 1360g race ready with a standard body (with the electronic layout as you can see on the pic above).

Greetings Rainer
Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Ok, I understand.

I think I found the front diff. Tamiya 53921.

Looks like I'm stuck with a ball diff in the front.

How do I get rid of the center shaft one way pulley?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ok, I understand.

I think I found the front diff. Tamiya 53921.

Looks like I'm stuck with a ball diff in the front.

How do I get rid of the center shaft one way pulley?
I am using part 53708 in place of the center oneway: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53708
Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

If anyone is intrested in a TRF415 MSXX, i have one for sale.
The car was used for half a season, it does have some marks on the underside of the car.
The car comes with spares and a brand new assembled rear diff and front diff aswell.

You can contact me via PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzerbro
I am using part 53708 in place of the center oneway: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53708
Thank you sir!
Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 AM
Tech Regular

So, I have been assembling this thing. Last car I assembled was my 417. I have to say that I am more impressed with the 415. I realize that the 417 is a better car from a performance point of view but this thing is a work of art! Even more so than the 417.

I am building it with the following changes:
1. Short reversible suspension. I already have lots of spares for this set-up since I currently race a TRF417 and TA-05 v2.
2. Front diff
3. 36 tooth front and rear pulleys
4. 18 tooth center pulleys
5. 170 tooth front belt and 60 tooth rear belt. The belts don't really need to be longer as far as I can tell. However, the belts that come with the kit are very stiff. I feel there is a lot of speed to be gained by going to a low friction belt. Since I'm replacing them anyway, I'll go slightly longer to center the adjusters up.
6. Square Racing C hubs and rear uprights. Mainly because I have them.

Still have to figure out how to mount the lipo.

So, I'm going to have some parts left over. These are from the MSX MRE edition. If anyone is interested in any of these things shoot me an offer.

1. Front spool assembly
2. 35 tooth pulleys (the every other tooth ones)
3. Center shaft front one way assembly,
4. Most of the MRE suspension parts including some hard coated aluminum axles and pretty blue rear uprights.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

So, Still have to figure out how to mount the lipo.
I use battery tape with my lipo, there are holes each end for the tape to go through.

I made 2 small holes and countersunk m4? bolts to stop the lipo from moving from side to side, I use a 5300mah 30c Acepow lipo (which is too big to fit under the bulkhead).

hopefully that is some help to you

Although with VTA, if you are only using 21.5, a 20c lipo is probably going to be adequate, which may then fit under the bulkheads without shaving off the part where nimh cells would nomally fit beneath.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks.

I have a plan for the battery. I have to use a ROAR approved hard case battery that is 5000mah or less. I can use a saddle pack. With a low profile servo, one pack fits between the servo and the motor. The other side is easy and it leaves plenty of room for speed control, receiver and some weight. We have a 1550mg minimum weight so it's going to take a bit. I will have to shim up the motor mounts 2mm to get the batteries under them. For VTA, this shouldn't matter too much. If it does, I'll just move the batteries out a bit and drop the mount back down. I'll post some pictures when I get all this stuff arranged.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks.

I have a plan for the battery. I have to use a ROAR approved hard case battery that is 5000mah or less. I can use a saddle pack. With a low profile servo, one pack fits between the servo and the motor. The other side is easy and it leaves plenty of room for speed control, receiver and some weight. We have a 1550mg minimum weight so it's going to take a bit. I will have to shim up the motor mounts 2mm to get the batteries under them. For VTA, this shouldn't matter too much. If it does, I'll just move the batteries out a bit and drop the mount back down. I'll post some pictures when I get all this stuff arranged.
Very good idea, but watch out of the car balance, because with this configuration the motor side of the car gets much to heavy than the ohter side.

I would go for a (Bitty design) lipo tray. At this time they are discontinued, but maybe anyone have one for sale. Work perfect in the 415, and any Lipo will fit!

http://www.redrc.net/2008/05/bittyde...ray/#more-9677

Another alternative maybe the exotek Lipo holders. They are available seperatly, and you only have to drill the holes for mounting them.

http://www41.instantestore.net/merch...ttery-cups.cfm

They are alos available in a steel version!

Greetings Rainer

Greetings Rainer
Old 02-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I agree that the TRF415MSX-MRE is a work of art, especially in the rear bulkhead segment. Too bad it is originally designed for the round cell type battery.

In any case, I have two of them and I am going to keep one and sell another if anyone is interested. It has some MRE parts:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ml#post8724004
Old 03-02-2011, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

Default Upon further review......

You guys are right.

I found some SMC Lipos that are short enough to slide under the bulkhead. I ordered the Exotek steel lipo holders and carbon strap. That should work just fine without adding to the balance problem. Sure do appreciate your input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.