Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Nexxus; Nope shouldn't be a need to change the swingshafts.
A few of us over here have been using wide blocks on the car on carpet (effectively using the MRE setup). For a Diff, I'd try B/A on the front, with X/D on the rear (giving 2deg of toe in).

Try and stick with White/Blue springs, as the stiffer spring will help intial reaction, and hold more corner speed. Roll bars aren't really needed on the rug (i find) as there shouldn't be any bumps... Try Blue/Blue if the car feels a little difficult to turn in, as you'll lose some steering with a diff over a one-way.

BTW, the setup I posted (here) has been used in both stock and 19t with good effect (both made A Finals at the Carpet Wars over here in the UK) so is pretty effective...

HiH
Ed
http://www.thard.co.uk/setups/Maritime9-9-05.jpg
Do you recommend this as a starter? Same Tyres and gearing as I'd use at the Carpet track. What would need alterations for the short arms?
Old 03-20-2007, 04:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
http://www.thard.co.uk/setups/Maritime9-9-05.jpg
Do you recommend this as a starter? Same Tyres and gearing as I'd use at the Carpet track. What would need alterations for the short arms?
Yeah thats a pretty good setup, used it to get in the A at maritime (long time ago now though). Very tight technical track, so worth a shot

To use the short arms, bolt them on, and run the camber links at usual heights (I prefer the outer hole on the Rear hubs, makes the rear smoother). I'll have a think this evening and hopefully have some more pointers, I'll write up a sheet with suggestions for a base setup for you. BTW, is it an MSX or MRE your running?

Cheers
Ed
Old 03-20-2007, 04:15 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RocketRacer
i need some help with my setup.

i am currently running foams on outdoor asphalt. brushless mod. the biggest problem is have been experiencing is major understeer on mid corner and corner exit.

how can i try and overcome this problem?

my setup is as follows.
front
60w Oil
3 hole piston
Tam Blue spring
no stabilizer bar
5.5mm ride height
5mm rebound stroke/droop
.5mm spacer under inner camber link
4degree caster
2degree camber
1 degree toe out
Locked centre shaft and spool in front
shocks are on 2nd hole from inside on tower and outer hole on suspension arm

rear
50w Oil
3 hole piston
Tam Yellow Spring
5.5mm ride height
yellow stabilizer bar
6mm rebound stroke/droop
.5mm spacer under inner camber link
3mm spacer under outer camber link
0degree hub
3 degrees toe in
shocks are on 2nd hole from inside on tower and outer hole on suspension arm
You could try less front droop. Also, how many shims do you have behind the ball studs on the steering cross beam?

Ed
Old 03-20-2007, 04:33 AM
Tech Regular

You could try less front droop. Also, how many shims do you have behind the ball studs on the steering cross beam?

Ed
i am running it as per the manual, so there is a 1mm shim under the ball stud.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Yeah thats a pretty good setup, used it to get in the A at maritime (long time ago now though). Very tight technical track, so worth a shot

To use the short arms, bolt them on, and run the camber links at usual heights (I prefer the outer hole on the Rear hubs, makes the rear smoother). I'll have a think this evening and hopefully have some more pointers, I'll write up a sheet with suggestions for a base setup for you. BTW, is it an MSX or MRE your running?

Cheers
Ed
It's an MSX (TRFMAD's old ride before he got the MRE)
Old 03-20-2007, 04:47 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Also. can I run the MRE lower deck (to make use of the air vents for the motor) or does it need some mods? Have heard some stories of changing steering positions, want to keep with the MSX set up, so the option is an MRE/MSXX lower deck, or a 4mm MSX lower deck.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

what can you say about the msx version? i will run it in paking lot pavement. do you think it will perform good in parking lots?
what are the differences of msx from original 415..? and what is refine 2? is this the same with msx?
Old 03-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
what can you say about the msx version? i will run it in paking lot pavement. do you think it will perform good in parking lots?
what are the differences of msx from original 415..? and what is refine 2? is this the same with msx?
Choice TRF415MSX MRE ver.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
MSX is a very capable car it can work on any surface, i think Hupo still runs his instead of the MRE. MSX has LW suspension so it can change direction quicker and is usually the standard for outdoor racing. The MSX has also other little things such as blue shocks, gold Ti shock and suspension shafts and aluminion rear hubs.

Charles
Old 03-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nexxus
Also. can I run the MRE lower deck (to make use of the air vents for the motor) or does it need some mods? Have heard some stories of changing steering positions, want to keep with the MSX set up, so the option is an MRE/MSXX lower deck, or a 4mm MSX lower deck.
Attached is a base setup to try, it's a combination of the maritime one, with updates that I know work from my recent setups for the MRE.

With regard to the bottom plates, yes you can use the one from the MRE or MSXX, as they both still have the holes drilled for the old steering system, so just a case of bolting it on.

HiH
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-msx-carpet-base.jpg  
Old 03-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

TryHard, do you have a possible base setup for my situation. Mod, foams, outdoor,asphalt. i am running a 3.5 Brushless motor in my MSXX. any help would be much appreciated.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Tech Champion

Hi RR,

I've never run foams, so I can't really help with that... Have a look at here, http://www.thard.co.uk/setups/pages/Foam.html, should be some setups that might help, although they are all for carpet.

HiH
Ed
Old 03-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
53877 is the only way I know
The steel spool outdrives for the TA05 work for the MSX spool, correct? I already wore out a pair of the delrin ones.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Tek Nickal
The steel spool outdrives for the TA05 work for the MSX spool, correct? I already wore out a pair of the delrin ones.
Yup they fit I'm pretty sure you can get them seperate from champ.

HIH
Ed
Old 03-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yup they fit I'm pretty sure you can get them seperate from champ.

HIH
Ed
I bought some of the steel drive cups from somewhere on ebay (stellamodels?) i'm pretty sure champ can get just about anything. i placed my first order with them last week and they sure came through - got the MRE kit screw bags and 10 sets of the MRE sticker sheet sets too! i don't know if they parted out an MRE or what, but i go them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.