R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Here you can drive whatever you like, HPI has tons of cars that aren't Mazdas or DNAs or whatever other cars you all are complaining about. Just don't expect to win.

New cars come out all the time and people always come back to what works best.

Want to race something that looks real? Pull that car out of your driveway and race it.
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Its called touring car racing for a reason. Thats why there's a separation between TC and GT cars. There are so many touring car series around the world because the cars look like what a spectator can own such as the V8 Supercars in Australia and the WTCC in Europe. I still have Protoform S40s, M3s, a couple of Opel DTM bodies etc. I haven't run any of the new bodies racing locally since I have so many "old school" bodies. Besides, many of these companies want royalty payments to use their name and body and if I were Dale Epp, I wouldnt pay either.
SpeedySST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Even many real touring cars don't look like their stock counterparts. Many have huge wings and spoilers anywhere they can stick them to get extra performance. Not to mention chopped tops, huge tires, and completely slammed.

Nothing like real stock cars.

If you're into realistic, I think VTA series is probably the way to go.
EVILGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarr View Post
The class you want is pro10 not touring car. Personally I'm tired of all the doorstoop style bodies and want something that looks like a real car. Untill now all of the TC bodies have become slightly used bars of soap and all look the same except for the stickers. Protoform has been trying to be different with the R9 and the LTC and I applaud them for that.
No, no it's not. Pro 10 are useless pan cars, i'm talking about giving our touring cars some downforce and not making them look like the family car we drive.
tomt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

RCGT Baby!

The bodies are all realistic, and at 17.5 speeds the body doesn't make a whole lot of difference. It's a kick in the pants, and the cars look great!

Between Tamiya and HPI there are scores of realistic bodies made.

reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
...but that has to be the most godawful porsche ever made.
I agree, no such thing as a Porsche sedan
UGLY

Reen, I agree with you, that looks something like an Opel Astra?? Those 2 companies, Tamiya and HPI do make some nice bodies. Good suggestion.
Speeds Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:19 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
RCGT Baby!

The bodies are all realistic, and at 17.5 speeds the body doesn't make a whole lot of difference. It's a kick in the pants, and the cars look great!

I personally like the Protoform shells out there now, but would more prefer realistic RACE car bodies, especially like LMP shells. RCGT looks like fun to me, but damn are they slow, and I prefer the more hardcore racer oriented superstock and mod classes. Probably because I started out with Nitro TC speeds, then moved on to 8th scale buggy, which are ballistic.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:17 AM   #23
Tech Adept

I really love realistic bodies, but most racers just use their "mazda 6" bodyshels. Tamiya Kyosho and HPI have so many different good looking bodies, but I've never seen them on the track

I don't like the new Porsche Sedan (and even the SUV). Porsche cars are sportcars and racecars and they should stay...
Der Dicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:34 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Personally I would love to see a 10 car road rally race.

Get the Impreza's, Evo's and such tearing it up on a track on slicks or treaded tyres just for a bit of fun...

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:52 AM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
RCGT Baby!

So as long as we put rear view mirrors on the body, we can put huge air dams, fender flares, side skirts and whale tails on it as well and call it realistic. I don't get it. We all want the body that handles best and if we raced realistic bodies, we would settle on whatever works best. And then we would try every manufacture of that body to see which one is faster. And then we would come on here and complain that the bodies are slowing us down. Jeesh.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:46 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeds Gonzo View Post
I agree, no such thing as a Porsche sedan
UGLY

Reen, I agree with you, that looks something like an Opel Astra

You're kidding right? I don't think anyone out there is ever going to confuse that Porsche with a Saturn.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:24 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok, not trying to be a prick here but I think some are missing the point. It's a TOURING CAR class, not GT or GTP so using those type bodies would be not allowed. I'm not sayting the body needs to be a dead on accurate model of the real thing, just get it somewhat closer.

R10 USGT, TRF416 USGT, DB10R, TA05R VTA, R40, RS4 3SS, RS4 super, Savage, Hellfire.

Youthful enthusiasm only rules until old age and common sense exert themselves
JCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeds Gonzo View Post
Reen, I agree with you, that looks something like an Opel Astra?? Those 2 companies, Tamiya and HPI do make some nice bodies. Good suggestion.
It's a Toyota Altezza (same as a Lexus IS) from Tamiya. It's a brick, but it looks cool! I wouldn't want to run it in mod or something, but with a 17.5 it works great.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Dicke View Post
I really love realistic bodies, but most racers just use their "mazda 6" bodyshels. Tamiya Kyosho and HPI have so many different good looking bodies, but I've never seen them on the track
...mostly because people are afraid to run them. Just like everyone thinks you need this year's pro-level chassis to be a competitive club racer.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
So as long as we put rear view mirrors on the body, we can put huge air dams, fender flares, side skirts and whale tails on it as well and call it realistic. I don't get it.
How is that not realistic? Realistic doesn't mean it looks just like something you'll see in the local parking lot. The body I posted is a very close replica of an actual 1:1 race car. I am racing RC cars, not parking them in front of a 1:10 Wal-Mart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
We all want the body that handles best and if we raced realistic bodies, we would settle on whatever works best. And then we would try every manufacture of that body to see which one is faster. And then we would come on here and complain that the bodies are slowing us down. Jeesh.
Only if that's how you choose to be. Some prefer to go to the track to have fun racing with each other with cars that look cool, even if we're a little off Reinhard's pace...