Wiki Posts
Search

Novak havoc and Novak gtb brushless system difference

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Novak havoc and Novak gtb brushless system difference

So is the only difference between the Novak Havoc 17.5 brushless system and the Novak gtb SS pro 17.5 brushless system the speed control ? Are both the motors the same motors... you just save 90 dollars or so buying the cheaper speed control. And what is the difference in the 2 speed controls that makes it so much cheaper
Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The Havoc speed control is a lower cost unit that has a motor limit. If you were to ever run modified an 8.5 would be the limit and if it's capability is the same as the older SS speed control you might find your gearing a little limited even with that motor (though the sintered rotors help with this). The on-resistance of the Havoc is a little higher than the GTB but the difference is probably less than the connectors you'd use with a lipo battery, so not noticable. If you're staying with 17.5, 13.5, or 10.5 spec classes you might never notice the difference. I plan to get one of these setups for 13.5 carpet racing.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not sure on exact differences in the speed control besides the no fan on the Havok but I would guess there is some difference inside.

As for the motors there is a big change from the Havok to the SS.
The rotor, bearing and end cap are different which changes the specs. (look at the chart)

I just picked up a reman Havok 13.5 with the free upgrade to make it an SS which you have to install yourself so it was a chance to see the difference.

Have not ran it yet but will sometime soon.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

so the havoc would be fine for racing up to like 13.5 expert and around there i wouldnt be losing any type of critical performance compared to the GTB SS pro now would i
Old 12-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am looking at one of thier bundles for VTA or stock, depending on how VTA takes off at our track.

At this point I can not finish a race without making a mistake that would cost me more then any motor could ever make up. The Havoc bundle is the perfect solution for me.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by sszzxx
So is the only difference between the Novak Havoc 17.5 brushless system and the Novak gtb SS pro 17.5 brushless system the speed control ? Are both the motors the same motors... you just save 90 dollars or so buying the cheaper speed control. And what is the difference in the 2 speed controls that makes it so much cheaper
The 17.5 SS Pro motors in both systems are identical. The speed controls are different. Here is our ESC spec chart, showing the differences in our speed controls:

Novak ESC Specifications
Old 12-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by AZrcdriver
As for the motors there is a big change from the Havok to the SS.
The rotor, bearing and end cap are different which changes the specs. (look at the chart)

I just picked up a reman Havok 13.5 with the free upgrade to make it an SS which you have to install yourself so it was a chance to see the difference.

Have not ran it yet but will sometime soon.
You probably purchased a Novak EX 13.5 motor with the free upgrade kit. We are not offering the motor from our Havoc Sport Sensored System 8.5 (#3038) separately.

The four new Havoc Spec Systems feature our ROAR approved, race-ready spec motors with the colored timing rings.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
You probably purchased a Novak EX 13.5 motor with the free upgrade kit. We are not offering the motor from our Havoc Sport Sensored System 8.5 (#3038) separately.

The four new Havoc Spec Systems feature our ROAR approved, race-ready spec motors with the colored timing rings.
Colored timing rings? Can these be used on current 17.5 SS motors? Or is the timing advanced as far as it can go already?

Also I have a older smooth can 13.5 what can I do to make it a "SS" type motor?
Old 12-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by IH8Racing
Colored timing rings? Can these be used on current 17.5 SS motors? Or is the timing advanced as far as it can go already?

Also I have a older smooth can 13.5 what can I do to make it a "SS" type motor?
The different colored timing rings are used by the manufacturers offering approved motors for ROAR spec racing to indicate the winds.

One way to get a current SS13.5 Pro motor is to send your existing motor in for exchange:

Novak BL Motor Service Program
Old 12-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are all the different bundles shipping already? VTA or 17.5 are the models I am looking at.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by cherokee
Are all the different bundles shipping already? VTA or 17.5 are the models I am looking at.
The four new Havoc spec systems are not shipping yet---we are awaiting packaging.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

From another thread:

Originally Posted by reenmachine
It seems that the Havoc ESC is pretty similar to the (discontinued?) XBR.
Except that the brushed motor limit on the XBR was "No Limit" (according to the box it came in) and a rated current of 480A in brushed mode. Yet the Havoc, with the same brushless motor limit has a 27 turn limit in brushed mode.

Did they change the programming so that instead of using all three brushless phases in brushed mode, they are only using one?
Old 12-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

NEWB here.

Got this Havoc Sport for my 5 year old to run a Hacker 17.5 or a Trinity Duo 17.5 with it come to find out i can't run anything but Novak w/it per the manual any help would be great.

Thanks.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

The Trinity Duo can run in sensored mode so you should be able to run it with the Novak Havoc. Of course, you will need a sensor cable.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Tech Adept

The Trinity Duo is sensored and do have cable as well as the Hacker is sensored with cable. So does that mean they will both work with the Havoc Sport.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.