Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Novak havoc and Novak gtb brushless system difference >

Novak havoc and Novak gtb brushless system difference

Novak havoc and Novak gtb brushless system difference

Reply

Old 12-03-2008, 07:17 AM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Socal
Posts: 157
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Novak havoc and Novak gtb brushless system difference

So is the only difference between the Novak Havoc 17.5 brushless system and the Novak gtb SS pro 17.5 brushless system the speed control ? Are both the motors the same motors... you just save 90 dollars or so buying the cheaper speed control. And what is the difference in the 2 speed controls that makes it so much cheaper
sszzxx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 AM
  #2  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (77)
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,189
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

The Havoc speed control is a lower cost unit that has a motor limit. If you were to ever run modified an 8.5 would be the limit and if it's capability is the same as the older SS speed control you might find your gearing a little limited even with that motor (though the sintered rotors help with this). The on-resistance of the Havoc is a little higher than the GTB but the difference is probably less than the connectors you'd use with a lipo battery, so not noticable. If you're staying with 17.5, 13.5, or 10.5 spec classes you might never notice the difference. I plan to get one of these setups for 13.5 carpet racing.
Davidka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:26 AM
  #3  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
AZrcdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 397
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Not sure on exact differences in the speed control besides the no fan on the Havok but I would guess there is some difference inside.

As for the motors there is a big change from the Havok to the SS.
The rotor, bearing and end cap are different which changes the specs. (look at the chart)

I just picked up a reman Havok 13.5 with the free upgrade to make it an SS which you have to install yourself so it was a chance to see the difference.

Have not ran it yet but will sometime soon.
AZrcdriver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:59 AM
  #4  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Socal
Posts: 157
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

so the havoc would be fine for racing up to like 13.5 expert and around there i wouldnt be losing any type of critical performance compared to the GTB SS pro now would i
sszzxx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:19 AM
  #5  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 455
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I am looking at one of thier bundles for VTA or stock, depending on how VTA takes off at our track.

At this point I can not finish a race without making a mistake that would cost me more then any motor could ever make up. The Havoc bundle is the perfect solution for me.
cherokee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:39 AM
  #6  
Company Representative
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,891
Default

Originally Posted by sszzxx View Post
So is the only difference between the Novak Havoc 17.5 brushless system and the Novak gtb SS pro 17.5 brushless system the speed control ? Are both the motors the same motors... you just save 90 dollars or so buying the cheaper speed control. And what is the difference in the 2 speed controls that makes it so much cheaper
The 17.5 SS Pro motors in both systems are identical. The speed controls are different. Here is our ESC spec chart, showing the differences in our speed controls:

Novak ESC Specifications
NovakTwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:51 AM
  #7  
Company Representative
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,891
Default

Originally Posted by AZrcdriver View Post
...
As for the motors there is a big change from the Havok to the SS.
The rotor, bearing and end cap are different which changes the specs. (look at the chart)

I just picked up a reman Havok 13.5 with the free upgrade to make it an SS which you have to install yourself so it was a chance to see the difference.

Have not ran it yet but will sometime soon.
You probably purchased a Novak EX 13.5 motor with the free upgrade kit. We are not offering the motor from our Havoc Sport Sensored System 8.5 (#3038) separately.

The four new Havoc Spec Systems feature our ROAR approved, race-ready spec motors with the colored timing rings.
NovakTwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:04 PM
  #8  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
IH8Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 204
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
You probably purchased a Novak EX 13.5 motor with the free upgrade kit. We are not offering the motor from our Havoc Sport Sensored System 8.5 (#3038) separately.

The four new Havoc Spec Systems feature our ROAR approved, race-ready spec motors with the colored timing rings.
Colored timing rings? Can these be used on current 17.5 SS motors? Or is the timing advanced as far as it can go already?

Also I have a older smooth can 13.5 what can I do to make it a "SS" type motor?
IH8Racing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:27 PM
  #9  
Company Representative
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,891
Default

Originally Posted by IH8Racing View Post
Colored timing rings? Can these be used on current 17.5 SS motors? Or is the timing advanced as far as it can go already?

Also I have a older smooth can 13.5 what can I do to make it a "SS" type motor?
The different colored timing rings are used by the manufacturers offering approved motors for ROAR spec racing to indicate the winds.

One way to get a current SS13.5 Pro motor is to send your existing motor in for exchange:

Novak BL Motor Service Program
NovakTwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:51 PM
  #10  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 455
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Are all the different bundles shipping already? VTA or 17.5 are the models I am looking at.
cherokee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 PM
  #11  
Company Representative
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,891
Default

Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Are all the different bundles shipping already? VTA or 17.5 are the models I am looking at.
The four new Havoc spec systems are not shipping yet---we are awaiting packaging.
NovakTwo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:29 PM
  #12  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (154)
 
ta_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,449
Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)
Default

From another thread:

Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
It seems that the Havoc ESC is pretty similar to the (discontinued?) XBR.
Except that the brushed motor limit on the XBR was "No Limit" (according to the box it came in) and a rated current of 480A in brushed mode. Yet the Havoc, with the same brushless motor limit has a 27 turn limit in brushed mode.

Did they change the programming so that instead of using all three brushless phases in brushed mode, they are only using one?
ta_man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:38 AM
  #13  
Tech Adept
 
jrxt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 112
Default

NEWB here.

Got this Havoc Sport for my 5 year old to run a Hacker 17.5 or a Trinity Duo 17.5 with it come to find out i can't run anything but Novak w/it per the manual any help would be great.

Thanks.
jrxt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:32 PM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (154)
 
ta_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,449
Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)
Default

The Trinity Duo can run in sensored mode so you should be able to run it with the Novak Havoc. Of course, you will need a sensor cable.
ta_man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:26 PM
  #15  
Tech Adept
 
jrxt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 112
Default

The Trinity Duo is sensored and do have cable as well as the Hacker is sensored with cable. So does that mean they will both work with the Havoc Sport.

Thanks.
jrxt is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service