Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2910Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

F1 RC Cars - 2012 British Grand Prix

Just sharing. 26 racers with 12 different chassis types for our club race. Hope you like the photos, video, and event writeup.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Post-race press conference - Great Britain (per my recollection which could be mixed with fantasy).

Photo: Porsha Mangilit (2nd), Yuichiro Takaya (Winner), Chito Detabali (3rd). Great racing guys and girl!

Q: Taka your car looked planted and easy to drive. What's the secret? You must be happy.

Taka: Nooo actually my F104 was very difficult to drive. After 5 minutes I felt so tired due to the concentration needed. I was contemplating changing to an easier to drive setup, but gambled that when track becomes higher grip in the finals the car would naturally become easier to drive. Happy and relieved to win. It was very tough competition.

Q: Porsha you came from 11th on the grid to take 2nd. How did you do it and how to you feel?

Porsha: I have been driving the F103. Today was the first time I tried the F104. Before qualifying I was leaning towards using the F103 as it was easy to drive versus the F104 which felt slightly faster but so difficult to drive. Decided to take a risk and went with the F104. Being unfamiliar, my qualifying was not so good. But during the races it became easier to drive and I am happy to be second to Tito Taka san.

Q: Chito, now two consecutive podium positions. Congratulations. Rumors have it that there are old photos of you racing in Tamiya Cups 10 years ago.

Chito: Hahaha you must have me mistaken for my older brother "Tochidet". I am happy to make it on the podium again. Have been testing rubber tires and I actually like them. The driving feel and style is more realistic. Can't wait to see how well I do with them.

Q: To all drivers, again congratulations! See you at the German Grand Prix.

Full story, photos, results and video of the British GP here.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadRacing
I just wanted to post some pictures of my Lotus T128. Decals are from F1 Paint Labs.

Also this F1 won the F1 Summer Series here in Atlanta at HotShot Rc Raceway.
Looks good, nice job
Old 07-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J-PaP
Maybe I'm just use to it but it seems easy to manage. The cars actually still understeer through corners. I had setup the f1ultra initially with 0 toe and I couldn't carry any speed through corners

Generally I run my cars like this:
Softest pitch spring I can get, Softest T bar (x1)/Softest roll springs
Pitch spring set so that the car very slightly sags at the pivot (for the link cars)
Centre t-bar screw 1mm below chassis. Blue rubber ring. (t-bar cars)
Same height front and rear
Medium front spring
2-4 degrees toe out.
1.5 degrees camber
Battery as far back as possible

Bar where I have a tangle I'm generally in the top 2 and end up with either 1st or 2nd fastest laptime.

Anything else that looks different compared to how others set their car up?

Actually would like to know how people have their cars setup when using less toe out. I had originally tested less toe out and it didn't work. Clearly am missing something I needed to change in addition to make it work.
Really like to get some feedback on the above. Since most others run only 0-1 degrees toe out then what else do you do? Do you raise the rear? Move the battery forward? Last time I tried less toe out I fairly much lost half my cornering capability so there must be something else to make up for it?

Thanks
John
Old 07-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Really like to get some feedback on the above. Since most others run only 0-1 degrees toe out then what else do you do? Do you raise the rear? Move the battery forward? Last time I tried less toe out I fairly much lost half my cornering capability so there must be something else to make up for it?

Thanks
John
I experience quite the opposite. If I want less steering mid corner I will add slightly more toe out. If I want slightly more mid corner steering I use less toe out. Most racers do this for most any cars including sedan and usually only go =/- 1 degree. You may get more initial steering with toe out but then the rest of the turn is unresponsive.
Too much toe out and the outside wheel will not turn enough because the inside wheel hits full lock too soon. We do this trick when a car is loose.

Are you are trying to get rid of a high speed push? Softer front springs, softer front tire, more front camber, heavier rear side springs (F1ultra) and/or more rear pod droop are what I would change.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MikeR
I experience quite the opposite. If I want less steering mid corner I will add slightly more toe out. If I want slightly more mid corner steering I use less toe out. Most racers do this for most any cars including sedan and usually only go =/- 1 degree. You may get more initial steering with toe out but then the rest of the turn is unresponsive.
Too much toe out and the outside wheel will not turn enough because the inside wheel hits full lock too soon. We do this trick when a car is loose.

Are you are trying to get rid of a high speed push? Softer front springs, softer front tire, more front camber, heavier rear side springs (F1ultra) and/or more rear pod droop are what I would change.
I'm just trying to develop a better understanding of what others do. There isn't really anything wrong with how my cars behave at the moment. I'm just thinking that given my setup is so vastly different, perhaps going for the norm would yield faster laptimes.

In my past experience whenever I tried to move the battery forward or reduce toe, etc. I found the car to be slower. Hence I quickly would move away from it. Perhaps the reason I found the norm to never work was because I would only do one of these adjustments at a time, see they didnt work and move back. Perhaps it is a combination that is what works.

Hence I'm trying to find out what else is different from my general setup to others as it would indicate what that 2nd or 3rd adjustment is needed on top of less toe to have a car that works.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

I'm just trying to develop a better understanding of what others do. There isn't really anything wrong with how my cars behave at the moment. I'm just thinking that given my setup is so vastly different, perhaps going for the norm would yield faster laptimes.

In my past experience whenever I tried to move the battery forward or reduce toe, etc. I found the car to be slower. Hence I quickly would move away from it. Perhaps the reason I found the norm to never work was because I would only do one of these adjustments at a time, see they didnt work and move back. Perhaps it is a combination that is what works.

Hence I'm trying to find out what else is different from my general setup to others as it would indicate what that 2nd or 3rd adjustment is needed on top of less toe to have a car that works.
Mike covered most of it, but I will say that running the battery all the way back is probably hurting your ability to turn in, because of the amount of work the chassis has to do to transfer weight. I would at least try running the battery in a neutral position, then make all the geometry changes and droop adjustments and see where it gets you.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Mike covered most of it, but I will say that running the battery all the way back is probably hurting your ability to turn in, because of the amount of work the chassis has to do to transfer weight. I would at least try running the battery in a neutral position, then make all the geometry changes and droop adjustments and see where it gets you.
That is interesting. Thinking about it what I found when I tested moving the battery forward on the x1 was that steering was much more responsive. Rear felt loose though but perhaps that was because I had too much front steering then.

I'll give that a test and make some further adjustments to everything. I've actually stopped racing the x1 now and have moved to the f1ultra and f104v2. Hopefully that extra rear grip I've got with the v2 will help me be more aggressive with the front.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Tech Adept

Preview of what im working on

like i said, its a work in progress. Still need to finish the pod area before continuing on the rest of the chasis
Old 07-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey...that's Taka! (Yuichiro Takaya) I met him at the 2010 Tamiya Worlds. He's one hell of a driver and a super cool guy. He was there with Shakespear, another gentleman from the Philippines.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Vyger
Hey...that's Taka! (Yuichiro Takaya) I met him at the 2010 Tamiya Worlds. He's one hell of a driver and a super cool guy. He was there with Shakespear, another gentleman from the Philippines.
Yes the same guy. He was also with JP Reyes, the owner of JP Raceway where we race.
That 11 year old girl who placed 2nd is my daughter

Last edited by rccartips; 07-10-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccartips
Yes the same guy. He was also with JP Reyes, the owner of JP Raceway where we race.
That 11 year old girl who placed 2nd is my daughter
Taka is super cool

He smoked everyone at the 95 Tamiya Worlds in 4WD
Helped me a bit with setting up my F-103 as well

I brought his TA02 4WD setup back from Japan, and it was like cheating compared to what the locals at Tamiya were running

That is the only time I was effective as a sedan racer, and it was short lived
Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by kb525
Preview of what im working on

like i said, its a work in progress. Still need to finish the pod area before continuing on the rest of the chasis

Looks promising!!! Looking forward to hearing how well it works for you. Please post pics when you finish.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Guys, one of the very best professional Touring Car drivers, Ronald Volker, was 2003 Tamiya F1 worlds champ. Just a flashback.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I remember JP! He was really cool too. He did a great impression for us...but I wont go into that.

I was also at the worlds the year Ronald was there...I remember the Sake was a little to harsh for him at the after party.

Hey Brad! Here's some pics of the almost competed body...I just need to get the helmet done and then I can officially call it. Thank you for all your help it was GREATLY appreciated. I hope you like the almost finished product.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Vyger
I remember JP! He was really cool too. He did a great impression for us...but I wont go into that.

I was also at the worlds the year Ronald was there...I remember the Sake was a little to harsh for him at the after party.

Hey Brad! Here's some pics of the almost competed body...I just need to get the helmet done and then I can officially call it. Thank you for all your help it was GREATLY appreciated. I hope you like the almost finished product.

Do I like it? It's beautiful, I knew you would take it to a high level, and you did. Congrats on a great build

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.