Wiki Posts
Search

Need Advice, starting 1/12 scale but want cheapo setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1
I've had the cogging problem in both 1/18th and 1/10 Mamba systems on carpet, running the motors that come with them, and I wasn't the only person experiancing this at my track, they would seem to stutter coming out of the tight corners. But I can say they don't seem to have the problem on the dirt oval or off-road. Maybe something to do with high grip track??
Went to sensored set-up in the TC with LRP speed control and Novak motor and have no problems. Have a Novak 4 cell system in the 1/12 and runs real nice.

im willing to be you were either overgeared, or had some settings off in the esc. also, the newer firmwares work much better than older ones..
Old 10-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
thanks for the info guys. This is all VERY new to me as I did mainly touring onroad when I was in CT. Now its been offroad for a few years. Figuring as the only class that seems to have consistency as far at a variety of tracks is 1/12, worth a look.

Can anyone sum up the differences between the 12L4 and the 12L5?

As for electronics brushless, what are you guys recommending for a CHEAP brushless setup, esc and motor, or at least ESC?

What is the difference between the novak 4 cell ESC and there standard GTB brushless esc?

Any news on the SMC lipo for 1/12?
Any decent used 12th scale car will work well for you. I'd look for a CRC or Associated car because both are handled by the major distributors so even if your LHS doesn't stock parts, they can get them easily. I've heard the Mongoose runs fairly well with a 17.5 and that would make it an ideal entry level brushless speedo.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by timmay70
I the mongoose set-up for 12th. Great little speed controller. I only had one issue at one track on one particular layout. I haven't seen the issue emerge since then. The track is the one in the video that I posted on you-tube (mongoose in rev 5). The track went down the straight into a sweeper that ended with a 180 into an immediate90 deg right. At the 7 minute mark the controller would cut-out right after the sweeper, just before the 90 deg right.. Every time it would temp at 104 deg on the heat sink. Long e-mails with Charlie revealed the fact that it was never set-up electronically/software wise for 4-cell racing (like the GTB 4-cell was), so in rare occasions little issues like this would pop-up. Many things were tried to resolve this (in concert with my e-mails with Charlie), the only thing that seemed to work in this situation was to start to roll the throttle through that section, and everything seemed to be ok.

That said, I know for a fact that Charlie was beating the tar out of a Mongoose at the IIC in World GT using the handout LRP 13.5. The little speed-o has the clout to handle racing, it is the 'when' the 4-cell issues would pop-up.

I have some new tricks that I am going to hit the little guy with next. We'll see if it survives (again)...

I believe that the 12R5 builds as a link car out of the box, and the t-bar gear is available separately. The Rev. series cars from Speed Merchant has been winning National titles for years, and I am sure that there are 4s and 4.5s in the classifieds sections for decent money. The great news is that the Formula front suspension will bolt right on...
I have seen the mongoose used in 1/12 also, no issues at all on our small carpet track with a 17.5 (novak). The only thing I'd say about the speedmerchant cars is the customer service is suspect. Do a search on the 12th thread and you'll see several comments on this. I had a rev 4 and it was a nice car, but I run a BMI now due to the great customer service.