Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone Gearchart Creator

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

A good reason to make this a native app is in case you don't have cell reception...say at the Gate in Cleveland. Basement, concrete, no windows...scary place for a cell signal. And people.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thanks for the kind words guys, it's great to hear people are getting some use out of this!

I probably won't develop this for other phones, simply because the UI I used is iPhone specific, and would require basically a complete rewrite for other devices. You should check out gearchart.com from your phone and see the mobile redirection is working for you. He put together a mobile version as well, and it's more friendly across many different phone platforms.

I initially just wrote this for myself (since I use an iPhone), but noticed a lot of other guys use them as well, so figured I'd release it for others with that device. I never really wanted to go for the whole mobile segment, I think Harsh's gearchart.com does a fine job of that.

It is definitely possible to write native apps for many portable devices (phones included) so that you can do this offline. Eventually I'd like to get around to making a native version for the iPhone/iTouch, but I've been pretty busy with other projects, so a web version is the best I can do for now. I don't know about availability on other platforms. I thought, at least, there was some Palm thing floating around. Also, for the iPhone folks, check out Snowy's post earlier in this thread. The program he suggests is pretty cool!
Old 11-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Cool, works great on my phone!

thanks!
Old 01-03-2009, 01:38 AM
Tech Lord

I made a small update that will make it "remember" the last internal/spur/pinion you entered so you don't have to put those in each time.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:43 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Essnowyt
syndr0me - I should have shown you what I have on my iTouch at the IIC. I found this app call "go figure". I wrote the simple math equations in that, now I can figure gearing our with just moving slide bars. Kinda cool!

Snowy.
Also, +1 on this program for those of you that need a native app. Thanks again for the suggestion Snowy.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Lord

I updated the site to split FDR and rollout into separate pages to avoid confusion. If you're a rollout person, just bookmark igearchart.com/rollout instead. There's also a link on the page to move between the two. I also added an email address on there in case people want to leave feedback.