Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Touring cars maxed out

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you buy into the thread topic, that touring cars are maxed out, you have to look at only as a positive with respect to the cost of racing.

That means your car, batteries and motors will stay competive longer because the newer versions are not that much better. If you decide to upgrade after 3 years you will be able to sell your used stuff thats still competitve to a newer/entry level racer. Its a win-win.

I am not as big a proponent of spec racing that I used to be. I started a TT01 spec class at my club almost 4 years ago. At first it was great. A lot of guys got them and started racing. But there is a downside. You still end up spending hundreds dollars on a car/tires/batteries/motors that you can only use at your local club. When guys wanted to move up, they basically had to start all over.

I think Speedybills club has it right; Separate drivers by ability, not with spec classes. Its always better to get a single large 25-30 touring car class together and qualify into the main you belong in than it is to break it down into 3 less supported and unrelated classes.

Its so ironic that everyone says they wants big turnouts, but, no one seems to be able to deal with likelyhood of not making the AMain. The RC Racing hobby needs to get past the AMain or quit mentality to start moving forward.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dondor
Traxxas needs to come out with a spec TC.
Trinity tried that. The car was not that great and you could find nicer cars used for less money. Its way better to level the field with power and tire specs, like the USVTA. That way you have a lot of control over specs and people can still pick up quality components on a budget.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tc3team
You agree with what I wrote after this post, but the problem is the club sometimes- they dont run to a sedan budget, its all the bells and whistles that make the class expensive to run and no policing what cant be used, possibly in fear of turning racers, (and $) away....
You know I am personally guilty of just liking the shiny stuff. I dont need a Helios. I sure love it though.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

You agree with what I wrote after this post, but the problem is the club sometimes- they dont run to a sedan budget, its all the bells and whistles that make the class expensive to run and no policing what cant be used, possibly in fear of turning racers, (and $) away....

I'm not even close to agreement with you.... I go by my own budget and could care less if someone has something new in the pits as long as it is legal then I'm fine with it..
Old 08-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Francis M.
I'm not even close to agreement with you.... I go by my own budget and could care less if someone has something new in the pits as long as it is legal then I'm fine with it..
Sounded like in your earlier posts that club racing should do well on a conservative budget (quote) I'm agreeing with you that clubs sometimes should look at the situation and see if they can warrant a rule change, but my point is that some clubs rules (and therefore the racers) dont run to such budget.

You do, but thats YOUR choice, not the choice of the club and its other racers.

Yeah... WTF (quote), exactly.

If you want "budget" forget sedan unless its VTM (trans-am) or spec racing in some form, unless your competition has similar equipment to you and there are no rules.

Last edited by tc3team; 08-29-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

If you want "budget" forget sedan unless its VTM (trans-am) or spec racing in some form, unless your competition has similar equipment to you and there are no rules.
What do you consider budget racing? It seems to me from that line that your'e under the impression that you need a $600 dollar touring car and all the top electronics to be competitive in club racing and local trophy events.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

The only way to really make a budget class where EVERYTHING is equal, is to allow only one RTR from one company. Kit body, Kit radio, kit batt, kit charger, kit motor, kit gearing. No traction compound. NO modification in any way. The only choice you have is what brand of AA batteries you want for your radio. If your car breaks down, a tech official must oversee the work.

Now that, is a very exciting class to run isn't it?
/end rant
Old 08-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I see that in almost EVERY sport, its the guy who can spend the most time and money that has the best chance at winning. Look at all other forms of racing. Its who can spend the most time setting up their car, get the most practice and spend the biggest budget to win. I bet I could get to Bakers or Haras level if I could afford to practice and race as much as they do, along with having the best of the best, as well as starting out at a much younger age than I did.

Winning is fun, but honestly its the battles that I live for, not fretting about the outcome. What will keep this hobby alive is how fun it is. There are other MUCH more expensive hobbies that survive, like flying RC helis, motocross, or even racing 1:1 cars. I was talking to someone that would spend about $10K per weekend racing onroad oval. Think RC is expensive now?

And to answer the OP, no, I do not think TCs are maxed out.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
I its the guy who can spend the most time...
thats 95% of it in club racing. he whos has the most practice drives the best. equip. can make a diffrence, but for club racing normally the best driver wins, and if he happens to have a good chassis, it makes him that much faster. this is why the trans am class is the perfect club racing class, the slower speed allows the older/lower end chassis to run just as fast as the high end stuff, it just comes down to the driver
Old 08-30-2008, 05:17 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kregger
What do you consider budget racing? It seems to me from that line that your'e under the impression that you need a $600 dollar touring car and all the top electronics to be competitive in club racing and local trophy events.
Budget racing, not with the lastest chassis,brushless speed control and motor and high powered cells.

In the South East UK there are a lot of hard core club level racers out there who will blow a lot of $ into their cars for a club race. Thats just a race to the ATM imho.

I am looking at racing 1/12th uk build mardave cars some time soon, cheap to buy ($120 new roller) and cheap parts support.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Touring cars maxed out? Some very big races would lead one to think that tc has almost faded, but I dont think it is dead. Not yet.

I do see a shift towards more economical types of racing like parking lot courses, pan cars, spec classes and others .
Old 08-30-2008, 06:48 AM
Tech Champion

Am I right in thinking that TC's came about from the need to race on temporary tracks that were set up in parking lots. So it was more about doing onroad and needing a place to run.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Tech Champion

well, I've done my fair share of ranting here, so here's at least a bit of input to try and suggest what can be done to save/preserve/boost (however you want to put it) the sedan racing.

These are not all my ideas, but at least there is an input with all the positive ideas.

1) Locate cheap/or even free ground for racing, less overheads = more for the pot to widen its horizons. One racer mentions his racing is free in a church- this is great promotion for the racing and maybe even for the church- strike a deal with someone if you can! Even if you only have pay for liability insurance it saves the cost of hiring a parking lot or wherever your chosen place may be.

2) Introduce a low cost class wherever possible. Get the racing close, 5 cars on the same lap after 5 minutes is more fun than 2 cars 5 laps ahead of everyone else.

3) Think of the economics and use it to your advantage- Find a slum area maybe and with 5-10+ hardcore racers it is possible to make a club, ground rent will be the cheapest going but you will still need liability insurance I suspect.

Make it a one entrance/exit place with a chain fence situation so you know exactly who is coming in and out. This might not be a good idea but I don't live in the USA so I don't know how viable it is. The only problem is power, you may all need to bring a 12v / generator with you.

4) Existing clubs need to listen to their members frequently so the club knows where to put it's effort- not everyone likes sedan racing so if there enough hard core racers to generate another class, consider it on a trial basis, especially if it's a low cost class option.

Just 15 minutes of every racers time before qualifying starts gives people a chance to air their suggestions and it gives a little extra time to charge cells before the first heat begins.