Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stock Motor Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It will be foam tyres, i usually run 26 pinion and 72 spur, which with new foams gives a roll out of allmost 30mm.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

what do you guys do to your motors to run a little more faster ?? Polish bushings ? Change springs and brushes ? Cut comms after you use them twice ? I know that alot of you guys that race stock tweak the motors to get that edge over your competitor. What are some of your ideas, besides what gear ratio you run or what kinda motor you use. And, I also know a few of you guys have advanced the timing by 3 degrees cause i've seen it on some cars. CHEATERS
Old 09-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As i race carpet ill just play with the brushes+springs to get more rpm or torque depending on the track.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

www.bigjimracing.com has a long list of tuning tips for stock motors, but essentially all i do to keep it quick is regular comm skims, (no set time, just when it gets discoloured and uneven), high-silver brushes, a correctly shimmed armature, and a bit of lube on the bushings. And pay attention to gear ratios.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Default Stock Motor Brushes

Guys;

I've had very good on-Track and Dyno results with the Putnam Green/Blue Brushes in my Epic Motors.

Has anyone done any comparisons between the Putnams and the Trinity 4503/4505's?

If so, what were the results.

Thanks,
Old 09-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Roger
what do you guys do to your motors to run a little more faster ?? Polish bushings ? Change springs and brushes ? Cut comms after you use them twice ? I know that alot of you guys that race stock tweak the motors to get that edge over your competitor. What are some of your ideas, besides what gear ratio you run or what kinda motor you use. And, I also know a few of you guys have advanced the timing by 3 degrees cause i've seen it on some cars. CHEATERS

How did they advance the timing on a stock motor?
Old 09-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

hi guys, i am using tamiya type R, and it works ok to me, i gear it up to 5.9... the temp is ok...
Old 09-02-2003, 06:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'm gearing my P2k Pro on my TC3 at 6.43. Good? Bad? I haven't burned the thing yet.

I geared my Axiom monster at 6.92 and I think I almost burned the damn thing. I'm gonna try and gear it at 7.5 and see.

Any suggestions on Axiom monster?
Old 09-02-2003, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Very easily Will. I'll show you tonight at the R/C tech race. ( Not that I ever used it, but it can be done. )
Old 09-02-2003, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Sydewynder
How did they advance the timing on a stock motor?
You get rid of a little of the trailing end of the brush face. You will have to mess around with some fresh brushes to figure out just how much of the trailing end of the brush face to cut off but it should get you some more power. *But* this is illegal.......
Old 09-02-2003, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

For high rpm motor like the monster a good starting point is 7.2 to 7.5, for motors like the Mvp and the p2k start around 6.5 to 6.8 and tune from there. With the p2k2 might be able to pull a slightly higher ratio as the baseline since it's has more torque. These are just numbers that should at least get you in the ball park for a mid sized track. It all depends on the track you run on, some people run 8's with mosters on tight carpet track and I've run 5.8's on a large track with my Mvp(which was murder on it, but it stuck it out).
Old 09-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Tom
Tech Regular

I run my monster at 6.0

i have run it at 5.6 but it didnt have enough punch out of the corners.

I cut the comm every 5 runs, polish bushings every 4 cuts, replace brushers every 3-4 cuts (i have a brush cutter, use every time i cut)brushers are fantom 315s, springs are red/green

Keep your brush hoods really clean as they get most if not all there current from the hoods not the brush shunt. You can run the brushes at club level with out the shunts if you want.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:43 AM
Tech Regular

That seems pretty dam high, I gear my monsters about 7.2 and they seem to like it.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fatdoggy
You get rid of a little of the trailing end of the brush face. You will have to mess around with some fresh brushes to figure out just how much of the trailing end of the brush face to cut off but it should get you some more power. *But* this is illegal.......
I'm not sure this will give you more power since the contact face is now smaller. More rpm but less torque so the power would even out. Isn't power = torque X rpm / 5252?

Is this also illegal? I didn't read anything in the ROAR rules about brushes.

Anyway, Roger (thanks) showed me what it being done and it is definitely and plainly (if the race director looks) illegal.
Sad that some resort to this. I always wondered why certain people seem to lose 1/2 to 1 second per lap in the main from their qualifying times.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Default How long to break in brushes?

How long should you break in brushes for the following situations?

1. Recut comm and use same brushes.

2. Recut comm and install new brushes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.