Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lowering the weight of Touring Cars that use lipo

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Sabin
Thanks. Personally, I have no problem running my lightweight car on a bumpy surface. I have some insanely soft springs, and I run 20wt all around and the car just floats over the surface. Chassis roll is pretty much a non-issue, so I can carve corners nicely and I can drop the ride height down a little more for added stability.

There was this dip on the smackdown track that was so big, almost every car was having trouble with it every time they went over it they bounced off it like a ball or the rear end came loose. not me. I went full throttle through it with no drama.
Sorry Sabin i mis-understood your comment.

Wow you run 20wt never heard of before how light is your car?

All i know about bumps is when we run offroad on multi surface tracks the heavier cars seem to be easier to set up but at a cost of performance in the air.

I know it can be done it just is when things get lighter every setting becomes more critical especially oil and springs.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yea that's for sure.

I don't know the weight offhand but I run a corally RDX chassis powered by a 6000mah maxamps pack for practice and 5000smc pack for the club races here. no weights on it, but I do have the receiver on the batt side, and I'm lookin to put the tekin FXR esc on the batt side as well. I'm also thinking of getting one of the low profile lightweight hitec servos aswell to fine-tune it's balance.

it's like the lotus elise of the RC world.

Offroad on the other hand, is a whole other animal.

Last edited by Sabin; 07-30-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sabin
yea that's for sure.

I don't know the weight offhand but I run a corally RDX chassis powered by a 6000mah maxamps pack for practice and 5000smc pack for the club races here. no weights on it, but I do have the receiver on the batt side, and I'm lookin to put the tekin FXR esc on the batt side as well. I'm also thinking of getting one of the low profile lightweight hitec servos aswell to fine-tune it's balance.

it's like the lotus elise of the RC world.

Offroad on the other hand, is a whole other animal.
Using the low profile servo will defo help you to balance the car, as you will be losing the weight that hangs of the the chassis, I have one in each of my cars which run Orion 3800 30c lipo and wouldn't run anything else now until Orion bring out a 35c
Malc THECANMAN
Old 07-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Some ROAR leagle brushless motors vary as much as 25g. That might be worth looking into for saving weight.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by trailranger
Some ROAR leagle brushless motors vary as much as 25g. That might be worth looking into for saving weight.
do they now, I didn't know that.

I found out that rubber tires can very quite a bit too, Corally STCC wheels and tires are 29 grams each, whereas Sorex are 34 grams each, I found this out after trying to weight up my car, and wondered why it was 20 grams under the obligatory 1500 grams what a pain, yet even more poxy lead
Malc The Not so Can Fan Man
Old 07-31-2008, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Personally, I'm not worried about C rating. Mainly because the motor I have pulls a maximum 40-50 amps. Consistent discharge and high mah seem to be a better bet than a high C rating.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

Instead of aluminium hexes for the wheels then find some plastic ones.