Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Micros amd Minis/Still popular??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Around here 1/18th has caught on pretty big, especially with the younger people and Mini-Ts. Since christmas there has been an average of at least 20 Mini T racers a week! Mini T's are a great way that MANY people here have gotten into the hobby, they're cheap, fun, and pretty dang tough. Whats cool is probably 12 or more of the average 20 racers are brand new to RC. Mini T as their first ever 'real' RC car and definatly first racing experience. I think due to cost alone cars like the Mini T have done an awesome job drawing in new people.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Tech Adept

I think the micros are a good, cheap, starting point for people to get into the hobby.

The mini-z is good because for around $150 or less you can be all set to race. The only problem, at least where I'm at, is that people investing $150 aren't veery likely to race week in and week out. Maybe once or twice, but it's a fun toy to chase your cat/dog with or setup a small track in your apartment or house.

The 1/18's are another great starting point (or move-up point for mini-z's) for those that don't want to invest tons of money but still want to be able to tinker with setups and parts. It can definitely get expensive if you want it too but it doesn't have to. If more companies made 1/18's I think the racing market would grow but ultimately it'd lead to 1/10 investments.

I personally went from mini'z to 1/18 to 1/10 within 3 months. I bought the mini-z because I missed the RC stuff and just wanted to play around, but then the bug hit. I read about the M18 and for "a little more" money I could get that 1/10 feel I missed. And that worked for about two weeks before I just had to get myself another 1/10 car again.

I know I predisposed to RC since I used to have cars way back when, but I can easily see how someone who's never done "real" RC before take the same path. You hit a limit and then you want to go higher.

I think the Mini-T is a great idea too. I really hope it leads to Mini-BK2's. But again, it'll probably lead to people getting bigger vehicles.

Which get's to the point that 1/10 will never die. It can't. Nothing beats the speed and air you can get with 1/10 vehicles. People want to go fast and jump high. That's why the nitro market is doing so well.

Ultimately I think the mini's and micros are just stepping stones that have been unfilled up untill this point. I don't think they will catch on big in the racing scene, but hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Tech Addict

in long island the mini rs4 died because people putting stupid motors and spends thousands of dollars buy hopups minit is getting more popular at my local track which is long island raceway
Old 03-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally posted by Beeb
I think the micros are a good, cheap, starting point for people to get into the hobby.
The 1/18's are another great starting point (or move-up point for mini-z's) for those that don't want to invest tons of money but still want to be able to tinker with setups and parts. It can definitely get expensive if you want it too but it doesn't have to. If more companies made 1/18's I think the racing market would grow but ultimately it'd lead to 1/10 investments.
Ultimately I think the mini's and micros are just stepping stones that have been unfilled up untill this point. I don't think they will catch on big in the racing scene, but hopefully I'm wrong.
So how do you guys see the future of available sites for 1/10 as compared to 1/18 ?? I'm in a high growth area and in trying to get a 1/10 race program going, I found most owners unwilling to deal with us. Also, the cost for the type of space needed for 1/10 seems to be getting prohibitive. All over the country, property costs are going up. Does anybody see the 1/18 and smaller movement as a way to adjust our needs to whats available in the real world??? It seems like the smaller scales would really open things up for us. I love 1/10 just the same as anybody else......but it seems like even the manufacturers are starting to understand the trends from around the world. If you think we have it tough.....just ask some of our Euro friends what it's like there.

BTW, is there such a thing as an organised 1/18 scale series?? Something like the Tamiya series or any nationwide program aimed at 1/18??? I can't seem to find anything online.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Evoracer
So how do you guys see the future of available sites for 1/10 as compared to 1/18 ?? I'm in a high growth area and in trying to get a 1/10 race program going, I found most owners unwilling to deal with us. Also, the cost for the type of space needed for 1/10 seems to be getting prohibitive. All over the country, property costs are going up. Does anybody see the 1/18 and smaller movement as a way to adjust our needs to whats available in the real world??? It seems like the smaller scales would really open things up for us. I love 1/10 just the same as anybody else......but it seems like even the manufacturers are starting to understand the trends from around the world. If you think we have it tough.....just ask some of our Euro friends what it's like there.

BTW, is there such a thing as an organised 1/18 scale series?? Something like the Tamiya series or any nationwide program aimed at 1/18??? I can't seem to find anything online.
To me, minis will always be a novelty and not worth getting serious over. If there wasn't 1/10th scale anymore I'd probably move on to 1/12 or 1/8.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Evoracer
IMCA
Old 03-22-2004, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

There are places such as Realto and SoCal Raceway that race these and mostly hav alot of people racing in there.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Going strong with my Micro.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:02 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I think it will depend on whether both major manufactures like associated and losi make a mini 1/18 scale sedan for the class to get serious. You kind of need both in there. If they made a miniTC3 and a miniXXXS , I think you would see that class really take off.

I personally think that is the shop pushes minis, you will have people running minis. If the shop is more oriented to 1/10 scale , it will run that. It really depends where the shop wants to put more effort into in my opinion.

If you have a full front case in your shop full of cool looking mini's, parts hanging on the wall for mini's and some picks of races for these vehicles, I think that sparks the interest. And when people start to get into it see the cost is lower than 1/10 scale, they could stick with it.

I haven't found anyone that I have spoken with who doesn't think mini's are cool to race, but having people to race with makes a class, and I think that is the big problem where I am at.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:54 AM
Tech Regular

how are the radio shack x-mods compared to a mini-z, I've looked into both and the mini-z has way more hop ups but x-mods are half the price, also the x-mods have a 4 wheel drive conversion. For my b-day I had the choice between 2 x-mods or 1 mini-z and I chose the mini-z because it seemed like more people have it and that it looked like better quality.