R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-25-2004, 07:43 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default r3 vs 415

looking to buy a new top of the line chasis. so far this two are my choices. for those who own them both or who have driven both, how do you compare the two? w/c one would you prefer? any info will be appreciated. thanks.
rowveg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 07:57 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eeyan Send a message via Yahoo to eeyan

Wait for Hebiki to answer this... the rich guy got both..
Old 03-26-2004, 12:01 AM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

damn you eeyan!!!! im not rich. i just dont eat. btw i only weigh 165 now. i used to be 180
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 12:08 AM   #4
Tech Lord

Default Re: r3 vs 415

Quote:
Originally posted by rowveg36
looking to buy a new top of the line chasis. so far this two are my choices. for those who own them both or who have driven both, how do you compare the two? w/c one would you prefer? any info will be appreciated. thanks.
hey row.. its really hard to answer these questions because it always comes down to belt vs shaft.. and people start saying this and saying that.. BUT eeyan is right.. i own both cars...

comparing the two? i really cant. they're both awesome machines. both very fast..and both very capable.. now are my skills able to keep up? NOPE! but in the hands of any factory caliber driver, both cars can win a major race.

Surikarn won the TITC.. and a few barracuda guys placed in the A-main considering they are not the major race names and not heavily sponsored. so both show you the potential behind each car.

currently i run the R3 in the stock class... and in our parking races.. this car is a bat out of hell on a revenge mission to find the person that killed it's mommy bat. if you know what i mean?

i run the 415 in 19T. this car runs great and is super super fast..... the car handles great (as ive noticed with every tamiya) lots of tuning options.

both cars are built like tanks and have great durability. eventually i need to settled down and run one car... im gonna decide using a coin. seriously thats how much i like each car. im sorry cant help you anymore. but if possible.. drive each one and see which one fits you better. good luck!
Old 03-26-2004, 01:20 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

thanks for the reply guys. i guess i have to toss a coin myself. maybe i should wait for more feedback. hebiki, will you let me know w/c would you pick and why.
rowveg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:41 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
thanks for the reply guys. i guess i have to toss a coin myself. maybe i should wait for more feedback. hebiki, will you let me know w/c would you pick and why.
Here's a tip, if it comes down to a coin toss, look for the car with better support in your area. At least maintaining the car won't be so much of a headache.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 02:35 AM   #7
Tech Adept

mmphrrfff ....come now...this is an easy one, buy both, toss a coin and send the loosing car to me

oh, and please include a mod motor too, kinda low on Rubels here

Thanks, you're the man...he he
Punkynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 08:30 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Hebiki
damn you eeyan!!!! im not rich. i just dont eat. btw i only weigh 165 now. i used to be 180
Oh man, and I used to be 165 and now I'm 180!!! Seriuosly... I got to get me an R3 then to drop my weight back!

On a serious note... rowveg36, are you just starting this hobby or do you have experience building these cars? I've been in the hobby for more than 15 yrs and just finished building the 415 yesterday. Even with those yrs of experience, I still managed to make a few mistakes that I had to redo some steps... the reason I ask is that I know a lot of people who just jumps into RC not knowing how these cars needs to be maintained constantly. The R3 and 415 both are very very good engineered cars, but the thing that I see IMO is their "lack" of ease of maintenance especially in the diff area(something you have to take care of at least every few race days). Because of the aluminum bulkheads, you are required to dissassemble almost half of the car just to get the diffs or one ways out. It's a pain, believe me... Not to discourage you, but Entropy is right, choose the one that has the best local support... it might be the R3, the 415 or something else... Hope this can help you decide... good luck, and let us know what you end up with!
Old 03-26-2004, 08:56 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
HA! Really, last time I saw you, it look like your jaw got fatter. Look who's talking huh!
Old 03-26-2004, 09:10 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Just think of it Hebiki, you'll weigh more if you hold both cars in your hands

Steve Wang
Old 03-26-2004, 09:24 AM   #11
Tech Lord

Quote:
if i had to do it all over again... i would buy both cars ..and be right where we are right now.

the point eeyan made is right. i rebuild diffs once a month..and rebuild cars every 2 months or so... (some people do it more often).. the better u take care of the car.. the better they perform. both having dual alum. bulkheads makes it a pain to maintain the diffs.

my best advice is if your a beginner.. just get a beginners car.. bash around with it.. and if you end getting serious about it... then upgrade to one of these cars.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:13 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Quote:

my best advice is if your a beginner.. just get a beginners car.. bash around with it.. and if you end getting serious about it... then upgrade to one of these cars.

Hebiki's beginner car/cars - 414m2
Losi xxs g+
alex racing barracuda w/ xenon stage2

dyaz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 11:31 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by dyaz21

Hebiki's beginner car/cars - 414m2
Losi xxs g+
alex racing barracuda w/ xenon stage2

Haha... sorry got to add this in.... my coworker is a rookie and he got an R3, a rare pink one at that. He also got a TA04... and guess what he's running? Back to the 04... go figure!
Old 03-26-2004, 12:13 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One of the best cars I used that was easy to maintain was the yokomo sd... easy to get the diffs out. Is the pro 4 like this? I know my cuda can be a pain to work on but they're so pretty!

JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:03 PM   #15

For pro4, you need to take out 16~17 screws to work on diffs. To change spur gear, need to take out 12~13 screws.

Last edited by Aku-Man; 03-26-2004 at 01:09 PM.
Aku-Man is offline   Reply With Quote