Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 AM
  #811  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Timmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beautiful North Carolina!
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by kerk
Wow, great explanation! If you don't mind, I would like to add that make sure you have ball stud of the correct length. I learned it the hard way.
Too shallow shimming with a too long ball stud and you wind up having it rubbing on the outdrives/wheel axles. While having thick shims with too short ball studs, can strip the thread on the up rights or bulkhead on relatively light knocks.

Cheers!!
Thanks a lot! And thank you for adding the note about correct ball stud length....I mentioned that earlier in the thread but it never hurts to go over things again. I also add a set screw to the open hole in the rear upright to prevent the ball stud from tearing out on a side impact. If you use 3mm shim or more, you have to use a 8mm stud. I'll re post a pic later showing the set screw mod I use in all my Tamiya's
Timmie is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 09:14 AM
  #812  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (26)
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,922
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
I must be really weird....... (Quiet down Chris Lim)

I run 3mm shims in position 1 and no shims at position 2 front and rear!! I also run +1 camber on the front and 0 at the rear. I maybe giving away some secrets here but my TB carries corner speed like no bodies business and the amount of turn in speed I can (man I shouldn't post this) adjust with expo on the radio..... THERE I said it....

Alot of this though has to do with the X-pattern tires wearing correctly and maintaining a correct contact patch.


Jon,

What ever it takes for the Showdown Series. Lets make sure you are #1 after the next round and keep it that way through the end! I would love nothing more to have TB03's win both classes! (just "thinking with my dipstick!")



Jimmy Wright
you left the door open with that one Jimmy.

but i guess we're both weird then! cus thats how my car is set up. and like you said.. my car rotates like a door knob.

i did try Rheinard's set up before with 3mm - #1 and 2mm - #2... it must be a mod thing cus it felt numb to me.

it's something ill revisit this sat when i have buddies with stop watches helping me out. id like to see what the laptimes look like.
Hebiki is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 09:28 AM
  #813  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Timmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beautiful North Carolina!
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tns
Timmie - thanks! That was indeed well explained and easy to understand. I'm going to have to print out these posts and file them for reference sometime

kerk - thanks for the great advice too - something like that is easy to overlook and we only find out the hard way.

Can't wait to try out the tuning adjustments. Weekend's still far away - argh!
Anytime! I'm glad that it made sense lol. Was pretty late when I typed it out Well save paper lol....I'm working on a detailed write up about building the car. Got a website worked out thanks to my girlfriend, and she is being kind enough to do all that html junk for me Got my chassis from speedtech earlier in the week and my car is in a million pieces hehe. So I'm going from the ground up so to speak with what I do to get my car ready to race. All the tips I have posted here along with some I haven't mentioned( and no one has noticed hehe) will be covered. Hopefully, time permitting it will be online next week before I fly out to California.
Timmie is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 09:52 AM
  #814  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (26)
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,922
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Timmie
Anytime! I'm glad that it made sense lol. Was pretty late when I typed it out Well save paper lol....I'm working on a detailed write up about building the car. Got a website worked out thanks to my girlfriend, and she is being kind enough to do all that html junk for me Got my chassis from speedtech earlier in the week and my car is in a million pieces hehe. So I'm going from the ground up so to speak with what I do to get my car ready to race. All the tips I have posted here along with some I haven't mentioned( and no one has noticed hehe) will be covered. Hopefully, time permitting it will be online next week before I fly out to California.
aww darn.. should i put off my TB-03 site then? i had it all planned out.. but ill let you do all the work.
Hebiki is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 09:54 AM
  #815  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Timmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beautiful North Carolina!
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
I must be really weird....... (Quiet down Chris Lim)

I run 3mm shims in position 1 and no shims at position 2 front and rear!! I also run +1 camber on the front and 0 at the rear. I maybe giving away some secrets here but my TB carries corner speed like no bodies business and the amount of turn in speed I can (man I shouldn't post this) adjust with expo on the radio..... THERE I said it....
I don't think thats weird at all lol. It works for you and that is all that matters In fact, when I first built the car I ran kinda similar to what your doing. Running dual ball diffs the car just didn't steer or have enough on power steering. So I was running 2mm at location 1, no shims at location 2 on the rear. On the front I was using no shims at all.

I had to use some expo at the Coliseum like you said to take away some turn in to keep my car from traction rolling in the high speed chicanes. But normally I don't run any expo at all. I don't know, I drive like a mad man haha you'll see if ya make it to the nats The way I have my set ups suit my, go into the corner hot, crank the wheel, and as the rear is rotating back into full throttle, driving style

Last edited by Timmie; 08-19-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: ummm does anyone actually read this? lol
Timmie is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 09:58 AM
  #816  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Timmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beautiful North Carolina!
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hebiki
aww darn.. should i put off my TB-03 site then? i had it all planned out.. but ill let you do all the work.
Oh man I'm sorry Chris I forgot we talked about that...Up to you really, I can zip all the pictures and files to you when I'm done if you would like.
Timmie is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 09:59 AM
  #817  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (26)
 
Hebiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 12,922
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Timmie
Oh man I'm sorry Chris I forgot we talked about that...Up to you really, I can zip all the pictures and files to you when I'm done if you would like.
its a wordpress blog.. so not a lot of work is involved driving factor is content. which i always need help with. maybe we can get that Jimmy Wright guy to be involved?
Hebiki is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 10:05 AM
  #818  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Timmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beautiful North Carolina!
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hebiki
its a wordpress blog.. so not a lot of work is involved driving factor is content. which i always need help with. maybe we can get that Jimmy Wright guy to be involved?
Haha lets ask Jimmy for a picture of him pointing at something...then we can photoshop him into the pictures and make him point at details in the pics....kinda like the little cartoon guy in the Tamiya instruction manuals!! LOL!!
Timmie is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 AM
  #819  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (10)
 
J.Dy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 165
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Jimmy, thanks for sharing your secret. My #1 problem for rcgt is the lack of steering. It was ok for surf city since the track is huge but it's really killing me at speedtech. Are you going to tcs?
J.Dy is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 11:09 AM
  #820  
Tech Initiate
 
Glinzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germany, Stuttgart
Posts: 32
Default

Originally Posted by Timmie
....I'm working on a detailed write up about building the car. Got a website worked out thanks to my girlfriend, and she is being kind enough to do all that html junk for me
I can't wait for that. Exactly what i need. This thread is so full of good advice. But the more advice coming, the more difficult it gets to keep everything in mind. Time to get this all together. Thanks a lot to you and your girlfriend for writing up these things.

I found something interesting for our parking lot drivers. The best known german RC-magazine has tested the TB-03 and made it Lot-safe

Just look at the .pdf below:

http://www.dickietamiya.com/CommonFi...estbericht.pdf

Page 3 first picture: Foam Covers round the ball heads for less "parking lot wear" dust and sand won't come to the ball heads.

Page 3 second picture: Notice the bar going from the bumper brace to the gear cover. They say that it'll give the chassis more resistance in the case of a front crash. The impact energy will be distributed widely over the whole chassis and breaking of the "bathtub" will be prevented.

Cheers

Glinzo

Last edited by Glinzo; 08-19-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Glinzo is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 12:05 PM
  #821  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Timmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beautiful North Carolina!
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Glinzo
I can't wait for that. Exactly what i need. This thread is so full of good advice. But the more advice coming, the more difficult it gets to keep everything in mind. Time to get this all together. Thanks a lot to you and your girlfriend for writing up these things.

I found something interesting for our parking lot drivers. The best known german RC-magazine has tested the TB-03 and made it Lot-safe

Just look at the .pdf below:

http://www.dickietamiya.com/CommonFi...estbericht.pdf

Page 3 first picture: Foam Covers round the ball heads for less "parking lot wear" dust and sand won't come to the ball heads.


Page 3 second picture: Notice the bar going from the shock absorber to the gear cover. They say that it'll give the chassis more resistance in the case of a front crash. The impact energy will be distributed widely over the whole chassis and breaking of the "bathtub" will be prevented.

Cheers

Glinzo
Wow thats really neat to look at, thanks for posting that up. Interesting what they are doing there with the bumper brace. Knowing the way some people I know drive, they would rip the top of the diff case off lol. Those foam dust covers you can get from team associated. Part number is #6272
Timmie is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 12:26 PM
  #822  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Timmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beautiful North Carolina!
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I wanted to share a cool picture I did of my TB in photoshop hehe I thought it would be neat way of showing everything about the car at once Hope you all like it!
[IMG][/IMG]
Timmie is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 12:47 PM
  #823  
Tech Master
iTrader: (36)
 
slakr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 1,818
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Timmie... instead of playing with photoshop you should finish my TA05 for me so I can run it this Saturday
slakr is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 12:53 PM
  #824  
Tech Initiate
 
Glinzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germany, Stuttgart
Posts: 32
Default

Originally Posted by Timmie
Wow thats really neat to look at, thanks for posting that up. Interesting what they are doing there with the bumper brace. Knowing the way some people I know drive, they would rip the top of the diff case off lol. Those foam dust covers you can get from team associated. Part number is #6272
Thanks for the part number. I Didn't know such parts are avilable. I would have made them by myself. Honestly i will do that. There i'll start saving

The only thing they (magazine) complain about is the steering. The absence of ball bearings at the rockers is the only negative point.

In the end they say that the TB-03 is a well-optioned car which can handle much more powerful engines than the one it comes with. A scale racer for newcomers into RC and experienced drivers. (They don't say a word about the pros ) If you take care at the building process you will be satisfied by a solid model with a good performance. The nice appearance will be for free

I forgot:

They pre-cutted all the coils with a metric M3 cutter.

Nice Paintshop work there. I wish i had a car i could photograph.
Glinzo is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 01:00 PM
  #825  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
Timmie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beautiful North Carolina!
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

And I know this is unrelated, but I just had to post a pic of our local tracks remodel Any one on the east coast needs to check us out Still has some work left but its coming a long Oh and its bigger than the pic, I'm waiting on a wide angle lens[IMG][/IMG]
Timmie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.