R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tamiya TB-03 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/222181-tamiya-tb-03-a.html)

KREATOR1 09-30-2008 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst (Post 4891052)
I just fitted a 73tooth (48dp) spur, and a 29tooth pinion (6.14:1) to have a try, but there is room to go higher on the pinion and smaller on the spur.

RW spur gears fir stright on too, which is a billy bonus!!

Are you running on brushless 11.5 motor?

DA_cookie_monst 09-30-2008 09:41 AM

it's more a 19t equivalent.

Hebiki 09-30-2008 11:38 AM

any word on tamiya releasing a spool? :D

DA_cookie_monst 09-30-2008 12:34 PM

any setups for this car yet, pref on foam.

Also, if you add washers under the ball studs on the front rockers, is that the same as taking the top of the shock in on a normal suspension??

Core Creations 09-30-2008 01:18 PM

Adding spacers is like standing the shocks up not down. I think it's about 1mm spacer = 1 hole on the shock tower...ish;)

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst (Post 4892004)
any setups for this car yet, pref on foam.

Also, if you add washers under the ball studs on the front rockers, is that the same as taking the top of the shock in on a normal suspension??

DA_cookie_monst 09-30-2008 01:23 PM

would that be the shock side of the rocker though, as that would, like on the normal setup, give more movement of the shock for suspension, if you know what I mean?

eeyan 10-19-2008 10:52 PM

I was lucky to grab this as a raffle prize in a recent local race... Didn't waste time building the thing! Really happy to add the TB03 to my ever growing TB family... :nod:

The car has been out for a month now (in r/c years, that's about 5 years already... :lol: ), but I haven't seen much discussion about it. I'm sure a lot of people already got the kit.

In lieu of this, TAOB will be doing a back to back comparison between this newest iteration and the outgoing TB02R. Both will be equipped with similar "dinosaur" equipment (brushed 23 turn motors) and will run back to back and head on. We'll try to get something done this weekend at the Tamiya facility (Aliso Viejo, CA). If we get lazy... oh well. Maybe next time. :blush:

BTW... that new Skyline is very nice (not to mention beasty looking!) But I think the sexy Garaiya found the sweet spot in me. :sneaky:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...TB03_pic01.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...c04_edited.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...09_edited2.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...on_pic01_f.jpg

Phat-Boy 10-20-2008 10:47 PM

nice body

that evo body looks sweet! can you also give us some review of tb-03 very intrested to getting one or two.

swimbikerun 10-28-2008 06:14 AM

I searched through the forums and was wondering which parts from which parts work for the TB-03 since most of the part numbers are new. I understand the suspension is from the 416 and most of the drivetrain is from the Evo 5 MS are interchangable. In particular I am looking at the following:

1. Will the Alum Steering Set & Carbon Link from the TA-05 work on the TB-03?
2. Will the Alum Spur Gear Adaptor on the Evo 5 work on the TB-03?
3. Will the Carbon Battery Plate for the TA-05 work on the TB-03?
4. I assume all the suspension parts are interchangeable with the 416?
5. Stabilizer Bar Set from Evo 5 work for TB-03?

Any help would be appreciated.

alana07 10-28-2008 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by swimbikerun (Post 4986834)
I searched through the forums and was wondering which parts from which parts work for the TB-03 since most of the part numbers are new. I understand the suspension is from the 416 and most of the drivetrain is from the Evo 5 MS are interchangable. In particular I am looking at the following:

1. Will the Alum Steering Set & Carbon Link from the TA-05 work on the TB-03?
2. Will the Alum Spur Gear Adaptor on the Evo 5 work on the TB-03?
3. Will the Carbon Battery Plate for the TA-05 work on the TB-03?
4. I assume all the suspension parts are interchangeable with the 416?
5. Stabilizer Bar Set from Evo 5 work for TB-03?

Any help would be appreciated.

some answers for you here...
2) Evo 5 alu spur gear adapter will work on TB03 but u'll need almost 1mm worth of shims to take up the space (kit plastic adapter is thicker)
4) all arms/c hubs/rear hubs are from the 416
5) anti roll bar set is from the TA05, not Evo 5
hope it helps....

dodo 10-28-2008 09:06 AM

nobody posted this yet...

coming soon (listed at tamiya america website)

TB03D
http://www.tamiyausa.com/images/prod...eader58420.jpg

Sharp and precise of drifting can be experienced through this TB-03D shaft driven 4WD chassis kit. The front damper stay has been changed and is equipped with a normal type suspension system. Comes with 18 spoke black metal plated wheels with Super Driftech Tires! Furthermore the body is ready for you to customize with a rich assortment of Hop Up and drift specific parts. This is the chassis to have for all you drift fans out there!

New design H Parts (Mirror, Wiper).
New design J Parts (Exhaust, Intercooler, Brake disc-shaped wheel hub).
New design N Parts (Suspension mount).
Short reversible suspension.
1050 Bearing Uprights (F/R).
Super drifttech tires (24mm width) included.
Motor, ESC, 2-channel R/C system, 7.2V battery and charger separately required.

ELECTRIC KITS REQUIRE:
(unless stated differently above)
Radio: 2-Channel with servo(s)
Battery: 6-cell flat with standard Tamiya connector
Charger: AC/DC timed or peak for 6-cell battery
Paint: PS for Polycarbonate/TS for ABS
Misc. Items: Building and track equipment

and another version of NSX... 2008, not sure if the shape is same as NSX 2007? anyone can shed a light on this.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/images/prod...eader_8424.jpg

swatdoc 10-29-2008 10:37 PM

Hey guys - what kind of guideline can you give me for tightening the diffs? On old electric off road cars, we used to tighten the diff as far as it would go (small spring fully compressed) then back out the screw 1/4 turn. How are you guys doing it?

Also, how will the car drive, compared to the stock front diff, with the optional one way front drive installed or the new spool (solid drive) that is being released?

Thanks

redbones 10-30-2008 11:05 AM

diffs are a little different on a touring car. what you need to do, is first clean all the parts with motor spray to get the factory oils out. You can sand the diff rings with wet 1000 grit paper. Diff rings have front and a back. The side that has the sharper edge should be the one to face the balls. Put everything per instructions. When you adjust the diff, tighten it to a point where the diff stops slipping. Use some flat objects to the hold the outdrives in place, then try to turn the pulley with your fingers. It depends on how strong you are, but there should be point where the diff won't slip smoothly, but rather "skips". I usually stop it around there. Hope this helps

swatdoc 10-30-2008 11:33 AM

I'll try your technique - thanks!

Hebiki 10-30-2008 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by redbones (Post 4996364)
diffs are a little different on a touring car. what you need to do, is first clean all the parts with motor spray to get the factory oils out. You can sand the diff rings with wet 1000 grit paper. Diff rings have front and a back. The side that has the sharper edge should be the one to face the balls. Put everything per instructions. When you adjust the diff, tighten it to a point where the diff stops slipping. Use some flat objects to the hold the outdrives in place, then try to turn the pulley with your fingers. It depends on how strong you are, but there should be point where the diff won't slip smoothly, but rather "skips". I usually stop it around there. Hope this helps

Originally Posted by swatdoc (Post 4996456)
I'll try your technique - thanks!

i usually take an old sway bar... and bend it to a "U" shape..and slide this into the outdrives.. this helps me hold them in place while i try to turn the pulley. :nod:

swatdoc 10-31-2008 09:06 PM

a couple follow up questions on sanding the diff rings - 1- i assume you would only have to sand the side facing the balls, correct? and 2- what is the actual purpose of sanding the diff rings - retain the grease better?

DRAG_ON 11-01-2008 12:14 AM

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...ader_53953.jpg

can any1 please help, i have difficulties finding TB03 (1way transmission), i saw in Tamiya America, DF03 1 way transmission any one have any idea that this DF03 1 way transmission can be used for TB03 ??

DA_cookie_monst 11-01-2008 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by swatdoc (Post 5001994)
a couple follow up questions on sanding the diff rings - 1- i assume you would only have to sand the side facing the balls, correct? and 2- what is the actual purpose of sanding the diff rings - retain the grease better?

it allows the diff balls to grip the plate better, allowing for less pressure on the diff to attain the same diff action.

swimbikerun 11-02-2008 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by DRAG_ON (Post 5002327)
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...ader_53953.jpg

can any1 please help, i have difficulties finding TB03 (1way transmission), i saw in Tamiya America, DF03 1 way transmission any one have any idea that this DF03 1 way transmission can be used for TB03 ??

The TB-03 one way is already out. It's Tamiya #54057 "TB-03 Front One-Way Unit." It runs $47 or so from Tower but can get it for about $30-$35 from Japanese/HK dealers if you are placing a large order and getting other stuff to offset the shipping.

reenmachine 11-02-2008 04:07 PM

Does anyone have any idea whether any TB-03 parts are backwards-compatible? Specifically, would a TB-03 spool (#54125 Direct Coupling) fit a TB-02?

swatdoc 11-08-2008 11:27 PM

Hey guys - I'm slowly getting my TB-03 together but it's taking some time, as I'm waiting for hop up parts to trickle in from Hong Kong. I do have some points to clear up if you can help me please.

1- I got 2 sets of the lightweight aluminum swing shafts, but noticed they say "rear" on the package. So, is there a problem running these on the front? (btw I will be running a brushless 17.5 motor max)

2 - i got all aluminum replacement suspension mounts, going with the stock 1A's in the front and 1XA/1E in the rear. I know you have to add a 1mm spacer under these - I assume this is in addition to the stock 1mm plastic spacers the kit comes with? So basically a total of 2mm of spacers under the aluminum mounts? I bought a set of the blue alumium 1mm spacers from Tamiya for this.

3 - for mounting the aluminum suspension mounts, does it not matter if you mount them "notch up" or "notch down" ? I realize that for the mounts closer to the middle of the chassis you have to mount them "notch down" to clear the ribs molded into the chassis, but for the foreward most and rearward most mounts can you install them "notch up" so they're a little more solid?

itchynads 11-10-2008 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by swatdoc (Post 5030597)
Hey guys - I'm slowly getting my TB-03 together but it's taking some time, as I'm waiting for hop up parts to trickle in from Hong Kong. I do have some points to clear up if you can help me please.

1- I got 2 sets of the lightweight aluminum swing shafts, but noticed they say "rear" on the package. So, is there a problem running these on the front? (btw I will be running a brushless 17.5 motor max)

The standard practice is to run the alloy drive shafts in the rear because they will bend in a crash, especially if you are running a one way or spool.

ali_g 11-10-2008 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by swatdoc (Post 5030597)

2 - i got all aluminum replacement suspension mounts, going with the stock 1A's in the front and 1XA/1E in the rear. I know you have to add a 1mm spacer under these - I assume this is in addition to the stock 1mm plastic spacers the kit comes with? So basically a total of 2mm of spacers under the aluminum mounts? I bought a set of the blue alumium 1mm spacers from Tamiya for this.

3 - for mounting the aluminum suspension mounts, does it not matter if you mount them "notch up" or "notch down" ? I realize that for the mounts closer to the middle of the chassis you have to mount them "notch down" to clear the ribs molded into the chassis, but for the foreward most and rearward most mounts can you install them "notch up" so they're a little more solid?

i bent my front alloy UJs after one run :sweat:

swatdoc 11-10-2008 02:19 PM

OK so the alloy just swing shafts just aren't durable enough to run in the front - thanks.

Since no one corrected me, I assume I'm correct on the mounting of the alloy suspension mounts then?

vadersing 11-11-2008 06:04 PM

I noticed my TB-03 tends to swerve to one side when I run a more powerful motor like a 10.5 brushless. No such problems with slower motors.

I read that this is what some call 'torque steer'.

How do I overcome this?

Phat-Boy 11-11-2008 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by vadersing (Post 5041372)
I noticed my TB-03 tends to swerve to one side when I run a more powerful motor like a 10.5 brushless. No such problems with slower motors.

How do I overcome this?

get belt cars.:lol:

DA_cookie_monst 11-11-2008 11:44 PM

does it swerve left?

AWK 11-12-2008 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by vadersing (Post 5041372)

How do I overcome this?

You have discovered the problem all shaft cars have to some degree: torque steer. There is not a lot you can do besides learn to drive with it. The faster motor, the more noticable the problem will be.

rctouringracer 11-12-2008 08:21 AM

I don't have TB03 but I do race an EVO5 and I don't have a torque steer issue, but I have taken the time to balance the car. I'm really interested to know if the TB03 has this problem before I purchase one the 2009 TCS series. If this is a notable issue with the TB03, I'd like to hear more comments from more owners, thx.:eek:

DA_cookie_monst 11-12-2008 08:55 AM

I had some, but I was running lipo too, so it would lean over to the right as it is out of balance.

AWK 11-12-2008 09:06 AM

You can adjust to make it less, but it will always be there. In left hand corners, it was great, but right handers it will push. You can tell with any motor, just the faster the motor, the more noticable. It is a fast car though. I think a bit faster than the TA05 at optimal setup, but not as consitant, and you can't push it as much. You get over the line in this car and it pushes, where seems like the TA05 jsut has more and more to give. Running GT2 though, this would still be a very good chassis, just not GT1.

DA_cookie_monst 11-12-2008 09:32 AM

when I go to race, with me and three kids, running shaft is a billy bonus on the maintenance side!!!

redbones 11-12-2008 09:44 AM

The point in this car is to prevent it from rolling too much. You can adjust this by suspension geometry. Some people have put hard springs in the rear and worked pretty good. These things will lessen the tendency to torque steer, but will not eliminate it. It is just the fate of shaft cars. But at TCS speeds, I doubt it will be noticeable.

dragracer72nova 11-24-2008 10:05 AM

Has anyone setup a TB03 with 17.5/Lipo?
Thank you
Dave

Markus 12-02-2008 01:32 PM

^^ I'd like to know too.:)

Hebiki 12-02-2008 02:21 PM

anyone know the part # to the spool?

DA_cookie_monst 12-02-2008 02:45 PM

I just want to get shot of the torque steer, as I like everthing else, before I put the suspension on the TA05

rctouringracer 12-02-2008 03:13 PM

Tamiya 54125 is the part number for spool.:batman:

Hebiki 12-04-2008 02:53 AM

17.5 in the TB-03

break out those really tiny spurs and HUGE pinions.. with an internal in the 2.4xx... it'll be very hard to achieve the proper gearing for the TB-03.

speedtechrc.com also has the aluminum diff halves in stock. i made a spool out of it since i couldnt wait for the real spool to come out. :D can't wait to try this car out in the RCGT series. :sneaky: :nod:

weekendracer_uk 12-04-2008 06:50 AM

3racing has a spool out already which also fits nicely in my EVO V :nod: the tamiya one is due out january some time.