Like Tree5Likes

Tamiya TB-03

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timmie
Hi all,

I hope this works, been trying to post a setup while trying to do some work today I hope this comes out right, if not I'll just type out what I used on other setups lol. Anyway this is the setup I used the other day. It might be a bit aggressive for some but you just have to try it. If its too crazy in the back just go one hole in on the rear shock and you'll be good. Also got a video to load but took me like 3 hours to load it I don't know what I'm doing so put it on you tube. In a bit of a hurry so I will post more tonight. Video is from my local high traction track. I will post a video if I can of the low traction setup I am posting here now. I got a beginners setup too I will post. Oh and I will post the high traction setup when I can. Follow what I'm saying? Can you tell I'm in a hurry hahah! Enjoy!

Rosewood RC Speedway/ TB03 first qualifier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek1EK3oSbEs

And so you guys can see the lay out better I added a overhead shot of the track
Timmie, interesting set up couple of questions...

why'd you remove the spacers underneath the suspension blocks? i remember the stock set up had 1mm underneath. also... whats your esc/motor combo?

i can see your car is hitting a second gear right when you enter the sweeper.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
Timmie, interesting set up couple of questions...

why'd you remove the spacers underneath the suspension blocks? i remember the stock set up had 1mm underneath. also... whats your esc/motor combo?

i can see your car is hitting a second gear right when you enter the sweeper.
Oh man...your right I need to fix that, what I get for being in a hurry. I'm so used to 416 and evo i forgot about those little plastic spacers. Good call thanks. Well I am going home now so I will take my time with the setup sheets, and not be distracted.

In that video I was using the same setup equipment wise as the pictures I posted, Tekin RS with a Express Motorsports 17.5 duo. Idk, the car felt slow to me in that qualifier, still didn't have my gearing sorted and my brakes strength was adjusted wrong.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Adept

Timmie,

Was leaving out the sway bars by choice or did you just not have the kit? I assume it was by choice for the rough parking lot.

Glad to hear the steering hopups solved the steering slop. What servo saver were you using, though? I've noticed slop in the stock servo saver.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Tech Addict

Alright I fixed the error I had on the other setup about shims under the blocks. Also here is my setup I used the other day for high traction. Chris do you have any setups your using? Or does anyone else care to share theirs? I think people might be hush hush about things with TCS going on and stuff heheh I still have one more setup to post which is basically like stock but some tweaks to make the car easier to drive for most people. But I will have to post that another time because I got a lot of work to do. Going to try some other little things with my evo5 tomorrow since I'm happy with the TB.

There are a few little details I haven't gotten to with the car that I will be sure to write about after this weekend. Just got a lot going on atm. Off the top of my head though, things that are changed from stock are, aluminum suspension blocks, turnbuckles, steering upgrade kit, hex head screws, aluminum diff, 44mm wheel axles, spool, carbon short suspension, and aluminum wheel hexes. Oh and I also got some run time on B3 Tamiya tires as well
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB-03-tb03hgset.jpg  
Old 07-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by redbones
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm going to run my LRP TCspec with a 17.5Duo(middle hole). The track has a 120ft straight and top speed do matter. Some people have suggested a 3.5fdr, but I think that is too much. I am looking at around 4.0. With the current pinion set that I have, I can go from 38 to 46. Which means I need a spur of about 75. But What worries me is the amount the motor can move. I don't want to buy a gear set that I won't be able to mesh at all. What would be a safe spur/pinion combo to achieve the FDR for the 17.5 class? Thanks
Well at the track that I posted the aerial shot of, when I was running a TC spec sphere, I ran mine on profile 8 and a 17.5 duo with middle timing and 4.3 fdr on my 416. Maybe wasn't the fastest car on the straight away but I wasn't far from it. At that track most of the time you can make is in the infield. But if your track is very high speed all the time with no tight turns, 3.5 4.0 would probably be good. If you could fit it, try a 90 spur with a 54 tooth pinion. That gets you a FDR 4.06. But with me I always try to run the biggest spur I can for more punch out of corners and gear to wear I top out about mid way of the straight. Yeah, people might catch you at the end of the straight, but you can leave them in the turns and thats where people make mistakes usually.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SKYFLAKES
for 13.5T should i go for TBO3 or TA05 ver 2?

Thanks!
If you are able to, try to find people with these cars and drive both. Or any brand shaft car and any brand belt car. That way you could get a feel for both drivetrains. If you were planning on running 17.5 I don't think it matters much. But 13.5 has a good amount of torque so with a shaft car you usually need to be a little smoother with the throttle especially in low traction. I ALMOST ordered a TA05 V2 but decided against it at the last minute. But really, you couldn't make a mistake either way they are both excellent cars, and both Tamiya's
Old 07-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bluesxman
Timmie,

Was leaving out the sway bars by choice or did you just not have the kit? I assume it was by choice for the rough parking lot.

Glad to hear the steering hopups solved the steering slop. What servo saver were you using, though? I've noticed slop in the stock servo saver.
Hello

Yes actually it was. I almost went and put some on when I was at Rosewood*high grip* because I wanted to free the car up some more but decided against it. When I got my TB03 I wanted to make it as fast as possible with the least amount of change to the original kit. Another reason I left them off is because it complicates the setup. For people that may not know how to set sway bars up right, it can really screw up the consistency of a car. So basically I wanted to keep it simple and fast.

Yes i know the steering upgrade kit is a bit pricey but it makes such a difference that it is like a completely different car. Ah good point I also forgot about servo saver I use the black high torque Tamiya servo saver with the hopup aluminium horn. I never even cut the factory one out of the parts tree LOL! I use this saver on all my cars.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Tech Lord

Alright I fixed the error I had on the other setup about shims under the blocks. Also here is my setup I used the other day for high traction. Chris do you have any setups your using? Or does anyone else care to share theirs? I think people might be hush hush about things with TCS going on and stuff heheh I still have one more setup to post which is basically like stock but some tweaks to make the car easier to drive for most people. But I will have to post that another time because I got a lot of work to do. Going to try some other little things with my evo5 tomorrow since I'm happy with the TB.

There are a few little details I haven't gotten to with the car that I will be sure to write about after this weekend. Just got a lot going on atm. Off the top of my head though, things that are changed from stock are, aluminum suspension blocks, turnbuckles, steering upgrade kit, hex head screws, aluminum diff, 44mm wheel axles, spool, carbon short suspension, and aluminum wheel hexes. Oh and I also got some run time on B3 Tamiya tires as well
yup.. hush hush with the set up. plus i failed at our regionals.. so you wouldnt want my set up anyways.. its always a$$ backwards. i just like to see other people's set up to compare notes.

interesting to see your links change in length btw your two set ups... 14mm and 13.6.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Hebiki
yup.. hush hush with the set up. plus i failed at our regionals.. so you wouldnt want my set up anyways.. its always a$$ backwards. i just like to see other people's set up to compare notes.

interesting to see your links change in length btw your two set ups... 14mm and 13.6.
Least your honest about the hush hush LOL Well I noticed something up when things got all quite in here when I started posting setups lol. But its all good, I don't keep many secrets

pushrod links changed with my droop setting adjustments

Ok forum vortex enough for me now, got to go rebuild the evo now Take care
Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Well at the track that I posted the aerial shot of, when I was running a TC spec sphere, I ran mine on profile 8 and a 17.5 duo with middle timing and 4.3 fdr on my 416. Maybe wasn't the fastest car on the straight away but I wasn't far from it. At that track most of the time you can make is in the infield. But if your track is very high speed all the time with no tight turns, 3.5 4.0 would probably be good. If you could fit it, try a 90 spur with a 54 tooth pinion. That gets you a FDR 4.06. But with me I always try to run the biggest spur I can for more punch out of corners and gear to wear I top out about mid way of the straight. Yeah, people might catch you at the end of the straight, but you can leave them in the turns and thats where people make mistakes usually.
maybe I don't need such a low ratio. My duo17.5 temps at about 145F at 4.5 on my 416. So I am thinking maybe around a 4.3 will do on my TB03. A 82T spur with a range of 43-47 will get me in the 4.65-4.25 which is just right. Actually, the setup is not all that different from my 416 other than the camber link/roll center heights. There's no time to test it before the race so we'll see what it can do!
Old 07-21-2009, 03:29 AM
Tech Adept

Got a question for all the TB 03 drivers.
Read a lot of feedback on the TB03 and I'm impressed. I'm looking for a new Tamiya car right now. I'm driving the TT01E with hops ups. Doing great but want some more. Next year I'm planning to race the GT2 class.
The "problem" is I cant seem to choose between a TB03 or a TA05 V2. So I'm looking for some advise here.
Havent read a lot of feedback on the V2 yet . But that will start hopefully soon.

Thanx
Old 07-21-2009, 04:22 AM
tns
Tech Apprentice

Default Need advice

Hi all

I just myself a TB03 a few weeks back and it's great to see this tread so active these days

I'm quite a novice at RC, being in the hobby for only a few months, and I'll be really grateful for any answers to some questions...

I'm currently running a hobbywing 5.5T bl motor in the Tb03. On the track I frequent (outdoor asphalt) it is too fast for (my) comfort. The car seems to be oversteering a little at low speeds, and pushing at higher speeds. While I'm sure much of it is due to my driving and set-up inexperience, I'm wondering also if the car itself is suitable for a 5.5T?

In general, any suggestions as to what I can do to improve the handling?

I've had the back suspension arm ripped out on 2 occasions, after overcooking high-speed corners and brushing the side of the car against the barriers. Argh!

I have the essential hop-ups - the entire drive-train is alum, as are the suspension mounts (I'm hoping these will hold the arms better in case of future accidents...), and the steering linkages.

Thanks!

NS
Old 07-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Timmie,

I raced last weekend at GB in my full TCS trim.
*side note* I've been struggling finding a setup for my all over the place driving style. I haven't found one that lets me drive hard comfortably but I can get it around the track decently.
On this day I could not get the car to turn-in. (my fault, too much kickup and high roll center. I was racing on a uber traction track the week before and didn't think to change it)

notes:
Luckily Randy raced the GT2 class so I could guage what the fast guys would run, he was in TCS trim also.
the traction is not bad, probably above average ol' parking lot (they soda up the driveline).
I was geared at 80/38 LRP motor, Tekin RS, temped all day around 170 (i had no turn-in so used brakes) I had good rip coming out of the corners but the Xrays, TC5s, etc. would start to pull away halfway down the straight. I'm thinking I need to go to a 80/41 or so if I can get the turn-in I want without brakes) I used B3's. but I think A's would have been better since it wasn't that hot out. This will vary of course depending where the sun is.

I'll try it again this saturday for their club race before TCS.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tns
I'm currently running a hobbywing 5.5T bl motor in the Tb03. On the track I frequent (outdoor asphalt) it is too fast for (my) comfort. The car seems to be oversteering a little at low speeds, and pushing at higher speeds. While I'm sure much of it is due to my driving and set-up inexperience, I'm wondering also if the car itself is suitable for a 5.5T?
I'm not running brushless, but I see the same issues: low speed oversteer with high speed understeer. In general, what are some variables a person could play with to correct both? It seems that what you'd do to fix one would just make the other worse.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by tns
Hi all

I just myself a TB03 a few weeks back and it's great to see this tread so active these days

I'm quite a novice at RC, being in the hobby for only a few months, and I'll be really grateful for any answers to some questions...

In general, any suggestions as to what I can do to improve the handling?

I've had the back suspension arm ripped out on 2 occasions, after overcooking high-speed corners and brushing the side of the car against the barriers. Argh!

I have the essential hop-ups - the entire drive-train is alum, as are the suspension mounts (I'm hoping these will hold the arms better in case of future accidents...), and the steering linkages.

Thanks!

NS
5.5T is way too much motor for this car. i think this car works best in 17.5 with 13.5 near its limit. anything more and the car will be out of its comfort zone. try a 17.5 motor...and you'll notice a huge difference.

your high speed understeer/low speed over steer might be a product of the motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.