Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
Actually turbo is completely seperate from boost and has nothing to do with rpm. Turbo can actually be engaged and advance the timing before boost with a 0 delay. The Hotwire was not suppose to go below .3sec in the release version..... you know what happens when you hurry.

With turbo delay at 0sec and the ramp rate at 3x the unit could add significant timing advance before the motor is turning fast enough to take it.

In most applications we do not think Turbo is really needed. Turbo really is meant for very short uses and only when the motor is fully spooled out and you have room to squeeze just a little more. If you had NOS in your car you would not drive around holding the button

Tekin Prez
So in other words, you're saying that turbo will only engage at full throttle after the motor is fully wound out, and it is not based on the END RPM that you set the advance of timing to stop at?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

SteveL
how much timing is on the motor.if you cooked a motor i would start by taking out turbo
Old 01-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tallyrc
just for reference, what was the problem?
at the soft ware i click revease motor, what a careless i am, but the power awesome,,,not yet really setting, if somebody know the setting for asphlat using 11.5t sp v3 thanks
Old 01-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Danny-b23
So in other words, you're saying that turbo will only engage at full throttle after the motor is fully wound out, and it is not based on the END RPM that you set the advance of timing to stop at?
turbo come in at full throttle.if you run 0 delay there shouldn't be much timing boost because you have already added turbo but adding that soon it could bog or act like a cog
Old 01-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Anyone Run V203 with the Nemesis motor? I wasn't to impressed today with the combo, mostly the motor in general.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Danny-b23
No, turbo is added on top of any timing the instant your delay is up when you are holding full throttle.
Picture this:
You set turbo to 20 degrees with .0 delay and the fastest ramp rate. With boost you have your end rpm as 20000 with 40 degrees and "0" rpm for you start rpm. If you are at 10000 rpm and hold full throttle the turbo will add in addition to the 20 degrees of boost at 10000 rpm.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by alangking_306
at the soft ware i click revease motor, what a careless i am, but the power awesome,,,not yet really setting, if somebody know the setting for asphlat using 11.5t sp v3 thanks
did you run vegas 1 with the 11.5
Old 01-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Turbo when set with a 0.0 delay will be instantly applied when full throttle is hit. Which is why we don't reccomend this setup.

Turbo IS NOT affected by RPM.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Turbo when set with a 0.0 delay will be instantly applied when full throttle is hit. Which is why we don't reccomend this setup.

Thanks for clarifying. I was pretty sure that RPM had no effect on turbo, but I wasn't sure.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveL
FIrst day results were mixed. Car was stupid fast using the follwoing set up:

Drag Brake - 10
Brake Strength - 100
Throttle pofile - 5
Boost - 50
Turbo - 10
Turbo delay - .2
Ramp - 3
Start rpm - 1437
End rpm - 4000
Motor timing - middle position on a Duo 1 Trinity

Roll out was 64.3mm - 42 tire with 78/38 Track is 66' x 36' and pretty open. 8.5 second fast lap time.

Easily .3 sec per lap faster than I have been able to do before but there is a problem. First off, I tested a few different settings and gear ratios early in the day and checked the temp after about 2 minutes each time. Started the morning off with around 140* which I thought would be too hot so I geared down each time until I got to the above roll out. Temp was actually going up each time I went down a tooth but I ran out of practice time and had to run this gearing in the first qualifier.

At the 7 minute mark, the car just stopped and then started to smoke. Yep, burnt Drew Ellis's On Road Nat's motor to the ground. Later in the day I pulled the battery out only to find that the three motor wires that run under the pack, (Yes I run a t-bar with the pack going over the top) had melted a groove in the 1s plastic hard case. When I pulled the car off the track after finding the motor smoking I noticed that every piece of metal in the rear pod including the screws that hold on the top plate were blisteringly hot.

Pulled out the motor and replaced it with a Hacker 13.5 that I had run before and everything went back to normal except for the fact that it took almost 4700mah to recharge the pack after the melt down. Ran the last qualifier finding out that the Hacker needs more boost to be as fast as the Duo.

Question is, was it the motor that caused the melt down or esc set up or gearing? (Drew says Tekin owes him a new motor.) It was odd that the temp kept going up as I geared down, but one guy at the track says that brushless can get hot if they are under geared just as easily as being over geared. Is this correct?

All I know is that the new software is seriously faster than the old and I will have fun trying to find the sweet spot for the new motor than I'm ordering tomorrow morning. (sorry Drew)

And to top off the day, my old Turbo 30 shot craps and fried my receiver pack right before the main. Not a good day.

Any feedback would be appreciated as to what could be the cause for the melting motor.
i would say your start rpm is too low. if you need to add timing that low in the rpm range, they you are better off going to the wide rpm band and have an end rpm near the top end of your motor. that ways you are not adding timing too fast and bogging the motor down. if you want to run a more punchy setup, then move the rpm range higher like say the default 3000-4500. this type of setup make use of the torque of the motor coming out of the corner and just gives it a boost where the motor would normally feal flat.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thank you!
I was looking for a straight to the point answer.

Quite ofter I think I understand the speedo and then I read some posts on here and get confused.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

so it's a little glitch? if we simply use .1 it wont engage till after end rpm is reached + .1 but with 0 it just jumps to adding turbo regardless of rpm?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveL
FIrst day results were mixed. Car was stupid fast using the follwoing set up:

Drag Brake - 10
Brake Strength - 100
Throttle pofile - 5
Boost - 50
Turbo - 10
Turbo delay - .2
Ramp - 3
Start rpm - 1437
End rpm - 4000

Roll out was 64.3mm - 42 tire with 78/38 Track is 66' x 36' and pretty open. 8.5 second fast lap time.

Easily .3 sec per lap faster than I have been able to do before but there is a problem. First off, I tested a few different settings and gear ratios early in the day and checked the temp after about 2 minutes each time. Started the morning off with around 140* which I thought would be too hot so I geared down each time until I got to the above roll out. Temp was actually going up each time I went down a tooth but I ran out of practice time and had to run this gearing in the first qualifier.

At the 7 minute mark, the car just stopped and then started to smoke. Yep, burnt Drew Ellis's On Road Nat's motor to the ground. Later in the day I pulled the battery out only to find that the three motor wires that run under the pack, (Yes I run a t-bar with the pack going over the top) had melted a groove in the 1s plastic hard case. When I pulled the car off the track after finding the motor smoking I noticed that every piece of metal in the rear pod including the screws that hold on the top plate were blisteringly hot.

Pulled out the motor and replaced it with a Hacker 13.5 that I had run before and everything went back to normal except for the fact that it took almost 4700mah to recharge the pack after the melt down. Ran the last qualifier finding out that the Hacker needs more boost to be as fast as the Duo.

Question is, was it the motor that caused the melt down or esc set up or gearing? (Drew says Tekin owes him a new motor.) It was odd that the temp kept going up as I geared down, but one guy at the track says that brushless can get hot if they are under geared just as easily as being over geared. Is this correct?

All I know is that the new software is seriously faster than the old and I will have fun trying to find the sweet spot for the new motor than I'm ordering tomorrow morning. (sorry Drew)

And to top off the day, my old Turbo 30 shot craps and fried my receiver pack right before the main. Not a good day.

Any feedback would be appreciated as to what could be the cause for the melting motor.
In my first few runs with 203 I had my 17.5 12th motor in the 160's. I geared down twice for a total of 4 teeth and didn't notice any difference in motor temps after 8 minutes. At the time I had a 2400-7500 RPM range, max timing and 5 turbo coming in after .2. I took the turbo out and my temps dropped down 30+ degrees. With your end RPM at 4500, IMHO it sounds like maybe you are adding too much timing too soon.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

SteveL says:
Drag Brake - 10
Brake Strength - 100
Throttle pofile - 5
Boost - 50
Turbo - 10
Turbo delay - .2
Ramp - 3
Start rpm - 1437
End rpm - 4000

Krio says:
You were WAY overtimed at mid/low rpm. With the middle whole on the duo, 50 degrees of boost @ 4k rpm, and 10 turbo with the fastest ramp up you were easily pulling 70+ degrees of timing at HALF speed assuming 1s. For your small track you should drop your boost to 40, put the end rpm closer to 10k, and probably turn the motor to the lowest timing hole with no turbo. Then gear back up now that your motor is running icy cold.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stiltskin
The turbo kicks in after the speedo sees the high RPM value + any delay that you've put in. I imagine that delay would be added based on track conditions.
I've found settings that contradict that, where the turbo would kick in below even the low RPM value. The resulting addition of RPM can be adjusted with the Turbo Ramp, proving it is at least triggered by the Turbo. Not sure what math within the software is responsible for this, but it's challenging trying to figure it out. I also don't think this is useful in of itself, but I'd love to find out why this happens.

To answer the impending question of "what settings do this?", the RPM values are so sensitive that they will be different based on the endbell timing of any given motor, even within the same family of motors. But the basic concept is this: Set your Timing Boost low RPM value just barely out of reach for your motor, just a few thousand RPM above where the motor would naturally top out (from the effects of it's endbell timing) so that Timing Boost won't occur. Then set your turbo delay to 2.0 full seconds, a nice big value so that you can effectively perceive the difference between full RPM (from endbell timing) and the ramp up of the Turbo Boost.

Turbo when set with a 0.0 delay will be instantly applied when full throttle is hit. Which is why we don't reccomend this setup. Turbo IS NOT affected by RPM.
Randy answered my post before I could finish writing it! No one provides faster service than Tekin, NO ONE!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.