Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Side note: There were SEVERAL updates to most of the different Spektrum Rx's. I use the older micro Spektrum RX. So far (knock on wood), I have had no issues with them. My grey case ones worked great when they were all updated. All but one, are long gone now though.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by goose510
Pretty much I had ran the batteries before on a spx 13.5 combo before several times with no problem. I installed a tekin rs 17.5 system and had one day of practice on it before the day this happened. I charged and stored my lipos as I always do. A week went by I checked my lipos in the morning on Sunday in preparation for some club racing. I run the first qualifier and during warm up it was fine. In the middle of the race I noticed the car was really show and could not feel the boost kicking in. I didn't think anything of it. I pulled the car off and took off the shell on my car to realize that my thunderpower lipo had puffed up. It literally tore the sticker on the seem from puffing so much. I checked my temps when I pulled the car off and it was around 160. Went to run a second heat and in the warm up felt the same lack of power pulled it off to see my second lipo was also puffed up. I always monitor my lipos when charging and both were fine before I put them in my tc to run the qualifiers. I have thoroughly checked my charger and it charges just fine. Does not overcharge at all. Which is why I am at a loss when trying to figure out whats going on. The esc is the only other explanation.
Can I ask what charger you were using?

I just read on another thread where people were complaining about SMC packs puffing up at random. Can't remember about Thunderpower. Usually they are good packs....

Double check all your connectors, make sure A goes to A etc. Make sure no solder is over lapping on the post also. Cap on the right posts?
If all that is okay, I would be tempted to send it in to Tekin to review. The only thing that could drain a lipo that fast is a short for the windings. Unless you have the proper equipement to check it under load

Any one else with some ideas?
Old 05-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Spdjunky
Can I ask what charger you were using?

I just read on another thread where people were complaining about SMC packs puffing up at random. Can't remember about Thunderpower. Usually they are good packs....

Double check all your connectors, make sure A goes to A etc. Make sure no solder is over lapping on the post also. Cap on the right posts?
If all that is okay, I would be tempted to send it in to Tekin to review. The only thing that could drain a lipo that fast is a short for the windings. Unless you have the proper equipement to check it under load

Any one else with some ideas?
Yeah I am using a onyx 230. I manually checked the job it was doing when charging a buddies lipo and it did just fine. I checked countless times all of the settings and wires to make sure I didn't cross any wires. Nothing is frayed and I have not had any hard hits. I guess I have to send it in! Maybe they can find something going on. Thanks to all that have been trying to help!!
Old 05-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

goose510,

I would tend to lean toward the ESC and heres why.

IF the cutoff was set right, the esc would've stopped running if the battery wasn't full. This eliminates the charger.

A puffed pack would mean an extremely high discharge rate IMO, not just a low pack that went below 6.4 volts.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Goose, were you running a balancer with the Onyx 230?
Old 05-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Spdjunky
Goose, were you running a balancer with the Onyx 230?
Yeah I was using a friends. I forget the brand. Thats what a few folks were telling me at my local track. They said there may be a possible malfunction on the part of the esc or the motor. Before the motor would not be an issue but with the power these Tekins dish out the 17.5 almost runs like mod class. I guess I have to send it in and see what the folks at Tekin have to say. I just figure the Tekin system is pulling to much power and puffing up the lipos.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Randy- I saw the approved ROAR list for the Sportsman ESC for the Nats.
The Tekin RS is on the list as long as you have the v208 software. When will this software version be released.
Thx,
John
Old 05-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by goose510
My cutoff is set at 3.2. The person that setup my rs has done so for countless others and is a local pro. I didn't think it could blow up two lipos but they both happened on the same day. My temps never reach over 160. I am just at a loss. Are there any recommendations that you can give me. I can't go back to my lrp spx at this point. Not after feeling the power of the tekin. I have been trying to get into electric but it is just too expensive when stuff like this happens.
goose,

I do not understand your "3.2" response. The available settings for Voltage Cutoff are:

1 = None (LED 1 ON)
2 = 6 volts (LED 1-2 ON)
3 = 9 volts (LED 1-3 ON)
4 = Custom (LED 1-4 ON)

Accordingly, I use "1" for single cell pan cars and "2" for two cell TC racing. With that "1" setting, I cannot run the car for too long because there is effectively no voltage cutoff with that setting. With the "2" setting, the car will shutdown after you reach 6V (maybe 10-12 minutes); but, that long of a extended run can overheat your motor under certain conditions. Therefore, I never do runs lasting more than a minute or two beyond a normal timed race (*6 min for my TC/WGT classes).

Can that "pro" check the settings he originally used on your RS to make sure that the Voltage Cutoff is truly set properly?

Hopefully, no one else has posted the above. I am behind a couple pages of posts...LOL

Bill
Old 05-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
goose,

I do not understand your "3.2" response. The available settings for Voltage Cutoff are:

1 = None (LED 1 ON)
2 = 6 volts (LED 1-2 ON)
3 = 9 volts (LED 1-3 ON)
4 = Custom (LED 1-4 ON)

Accordingly, I use "1" for single cell pan cars and "2" for two cell TC racing. With that "1" setting, I cannot run the car for too long because there is effectively no voltage cutoff with that setting. With the "2" setting, the car will shutdown after you reach 6V (maybe 10-12 minutes); but, that long of a extended run can overheat your motor under certain conditions. Therefore, I never do runs lasting more than a minute or two beyond a normal timed race (*6 min for my TC/WGT classes).

Can that "pro" check the settings he originally used on your RS to make sure that the Voltage Cutoff is truly set properly?

Hopefully, no one else has posted the above. I am behind a couple pages of posts...LOL

Bill
You can set your LVC to a custom voltage. In his case, it is being set to 3.2. That means the ESC will shut down when it gets to 3.2v total. That is regardless of the pack being 1s, 2s, 3s, etc.... So if you are running your LVC to 3.2 and you are running a 2s pack. You are pretty much not running a LVC. That will get you down to 1.6 per cell.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJGonzo69
Randy- I saw the approved ROAR list for the Sportsman ESC for the Nats.
The Tekin RS is on the list as long as you have the v208 software. When will this software version be released.
Thx,
John
Is 208 just going to have all timing advances disabled and the blinking LED for quick id?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Tech Champion

Default That's it!

Originally Posted by reenmachine
If your lipo cutoff is truly set to 3.2 in the numerical field above the slider (custom setting) then there's the problem. When Bill referred to a setting of "2" that is on the slider, which means 2-cell, which is 6.0V. A custom setting of 3.2 would be a "conservative" choice only for someone running 1-cell lipo.
reenmachine,

BINGO! I did not know the custom settings aspect.

goose,

That is your problem!

I highly suggest that you find someone else to set your ESC properly.

Unfortunately, not a lot a drivers are actually "pros" at RS ESCs. Seeking out an "advanced tuner" would be appropriate if one exists in your area. In the SF Bay Area, I was fortunate enough to find the right pro that helped me with my initial WGT ESC setup. theisgroup (Yang) is also a great source for single cell applications. From that experience, I was able to figure out my own RS setup for TC (two cell).

Bill

Last edited by Still Bill; 05-05-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Tech Champion

OK pakk,

Kudos to you too. See ya at da track.

Bill
Old 05-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 267 (98%+)

2.03 tomorrow for a b44 6.5 on a high bite track 115 foot straight. Any reccomendations?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Still Bill
reenmachine,

BINGO! I did not know the custom settings aspect.

goose,

That is your problem!

I highly suggest that you find someone else to set your ESC properly.

Unfortunately, not a lot a drivers are actually "pros" at RS ESCs. Seeking out an "advanced tuner" would be appropriate if one exists in your area. In the SF Bay Area, I was fortunate enough to find the right pro that helped me with my initial WGT ESC setup. theisgroup (Yang) is also a great source for single cell applications. From that experience, I was able to figure out my own RS setup for TC (two cell).

Bill
I will check the settings tomorrow but I still can't see how I could have drained so much after a 6 minute run even if the settings are below 6v. In theory don't I have to run it for at least 10-12 minutes or more before I drained so much of the lipo? And sorry if I ask dumb questions I am completely new to electric and am trying to learn all I can.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by -WHEELMAN-
2.03 tomorrow for a b44 6.5 on a high bite track 115 foot straight. Any reccomendations?
dual mode 60-70 timing advance 17/84

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.