Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Pete and others.

If you're RS won't "keep" a nuetral setting this is not the RS's fault. Your radio's nuetral has a bit of "wander" and is the issue. Open up your NW setting to at least 10, no lower than that. Some radios can wander quite a bit as they get older.

This can also cause your drag brake to not work as well. Try NW around 25 if you're having any issues with drag brake.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Pete and others.

If you're RS won't "keep" a nuetral setting this is not the RS's fault. Your radio's nuetral has a bit of "wander" and is the issue. Open up your NW setting to at least 10, no lower than that. Some radios can wander quite a bit as they get older.

This can also cause your drag brake to not work as well. Try NW around 25 if you're having any issues with drag brake.
Ahhhhh, I see. This error code meant that there was actually some throttle signal coming through instead of pure neutral when I booted up, then?
Old 04-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Pete and others.

Yeah I never really thought it was my RS but my old radio. I'll have to double check when I get home but I think my NW was at 51 when I checked on my hotwire. I bumped it up 2 after reading about the NW so it may be at like 53 now. Maybe it is time for a new radio after all.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Yeah I never really thought it was my RS but my old radio. I'll have to double check when I get home but I think my NW was at 51 when I checked on my hotwire. I bumped it up 2 after reading about the NW so it may be at like 53 now. Maybe it is time for a new radio after all.
Did you turn your drag brake to max with the hotwire? If not, I would use hotwire to make sure your drag brake is set to max and recalibrate your radio to this new setting. I have an older KO Propo Mars and it still works well with the Tekin RS's and Hotwire

idbdoug
Old 04-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Champion

No...I had maxed it using the ESC settings. I did change it with Hot Wire after when I noticed. It's just the other guys running the RS out here with the same software version are getting more then enough drag brake at only 30% or so...I've been wanting to get a new radio though and this just gives me an excuse

I dunno...maybe it is just me not being able to adapt well to BL. Even when I ran nitro I had to run drag brake because my brake control by finger was not fine enough.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

No...I had maxed it using the ESC settings. I did change it with Hot Wire after when I noticed. It's just the other guys running the RS out here with the same software version are getting more then enough drag brake at only 30% or so...I've been wanting to get a new radio though and this just gives me an excuse

I dunno...maybe it is just me not being able to adapt well to BL. Even when I ran nitro I had to run drag brake because my brake control by finger was not fine enough.
Good Reason to get a new one.
idbdoug
Old 04-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Team Tekin

The odd thing I just noticed...while I had adjusted my drag brake to max on the ESC...when I went to check it on my Hot Wire last night it was only at 71%.
We increased the drag brake recently. The drag brake at max was about 50% of total max brake strength and was pretty weak on spec motors. We increased the drag brake to 70% of max brake strength. In the HOtwire we allow 100% drag brake for crawlers. So setting max DB on the ESC should show 70% in the hotwire. With the hotwire you can set more than 70%.

If you are loosing nuetral just slightly the signal is wandering. If you are loosing max throttle or max brake settings I am concerned. If the nuetral is only slightly off and you can barely move the trigger to get it to accept, then you may have moved your throttle trim accidentally or the signal is wandering. Radios will wander some with temp and battery voltage.

Tekin Prez
Old 04-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Champion

Very interesting thank you!

Well the radio is over 10 years old now so it may have a bit more wander in neutral than normal.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Ahhhhh, I see. This error code meant that there was actually some throttle signal coming through instead of pure neutral when I booted up, then?
YES
Old 04-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Champion

Ok I am looking at my Hot Wire now and the neutral width was set to 56. I have no idea how it got set that high as that is an adjustment I haven't messed with. Is it possible for it to be too high? Should I drop it back down to the 20's?
Old 04-28-2009, 04:25 AM
Tech Adept

Whoa! Massive thread...

I m in the market for a RS myself. Going to pair it with the Redline17.5 for stock class races hopefully, but was just wondering how come these speed controllers have that massive capacitor thing hanging out the side? What is that for?

Sorry for the noobness. I've been away from R/C cars for about 15 years now.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

You must have the Tekins confused with some other speed controls... The Tekins have some of the smallest capacitors of just about ANY speed control on the market. Here's my RS in a 1/12 chassis... that little silver can on top is the capacitor.

Last edited by Trips; 04-28-2009 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:40 AM
Tech Adept

So these ones are smaller than other brands? Dang! What are these things for?

Sorry, I m just curious.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

To answer the question regarding the reason for having the capacitors... they are there to smooth out the voltage ripple caused by the high frequency switching of the FETs. It helps keep the speed control running cool.

Just as a comparison, here's a shot of my Losi Xcelorin speed control. Hard to tell just from the picture, but the speed control itself is significantly bigger than the RS, and that honkin' huge can on the side is its capacitor...

Last edited by Trips; 04-28-2009 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trips
Hi Marvin,

Okay, you're on version 2.8 of the Hotwire software, if you've tried updating the hotwire software it's Vista that's blocking the upgrade... the Hotwire release that came with the RS1.89 firmware upgrade would show 2.9 on the help screen, and the Hotwire release that came with the 1.94 RS update would show 2.15 on the help screen.

To get the Hotwire update working in Vista, follow the step by step directions in THIS POST You may want to print it before you start with the procedure...

Once that's all done, your hotwire software on your computer should be updated. Check the help screen from the initial Hotwire screen to see the version running. When you've verified that you have the new hotwire version running, plug the RS into the hotwire, and when the main interface appears you can click the "versions" button and you will see that the RS is still showing version 1.80, but the newer versions are present in a list. Select the version you want (I'd recommend 1.94 if you've upgraded to Hotwire 2.15) and update the ESC. DO NOT UNPLUG OR DISTURB THE RS OR HOTWIRE DURING THE UPDATING PROCESS.

Once the screen says the uopdating is complete, you should be good to go.

I'm sending you a PM with my phone number, if you're still having problems after following the procedure in the link above, call any time.

D
you have pm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.