Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
It's amazing how much adding a simple 3" servo entension relieves any trouble from accessing the RX to program the ESC.

Edit:Beaten to the punch!

Worried about wear and tear on the connector? Really? Do you program the ESC that often? For most normal humans, it's installed in the car, played with somewhat early on to get things close, and only fiddled with once in a while after that.

If anything does go bad, you you can open the case and solder in a new wire harness very easily. In fact, it's a common mod to upgrade the harness to larger wires and to open the hole in the case to prevent crimping of the wires that causes wire breakage.

By your logic, one more port is one MORE connector to worry about failing.
At my track it seems like there are Hotwires out constantly tweaking stuff...typically I don't very often but when I was trying to troubleshoot my boost fade issue I did quite often. Plus many people move their electronics from car to car so when you add that wear and tear on to the unplugging of the servo wire for programming you end up with broken wires more often. I've replaced servo connectors for a few friends already due to this. The servo harness wires are pretty fragile.

I haven't opened mine up yet to see how easy it is to replace the servo wire...I assumed it wasn't a good idea given how complex circuit boards are getting these days with layered boards and all. I used to do it all the time but when things started getting more complex I stopped. I know on my Quantum ESCs and my JR servos it is very difficult as the Quantum has a hard substance covering the boards for water proofing and the JR servos have what looks like glue all over them.

Yes it would be one more connector...but a connector like a micro or mini USB are a lot more durable than the servo harness...plus a failure of the programming connector wouldn't render the ESC inoperable as a failure of the servo connector does.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Now I know why EA always out qualifies me in the heat races, but breaks in the main. He doesn't want to get caught by Dirla's not existent tech skills after the race

Actually Dirla cheats at every club race so I'm sure he knows exactly what to tech. To be fair, he also tried to cheat at the halloween classic and got caught Sure he forgot to lower the voltage down on his charger from where he was cheating at his own club track
Old 12-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Anyone ever tried a "Y" harness from an airplane? plug the harness into the rx and one of the "legs" to the speedo leaving the other "leg" open for programming? A little more wire but would give you a constant open port for programming? Pros and Cons anyone?
Old 12-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tempest2000
Now I know why EA always out qualifies me in the heat races, but breaks in the main. He doesn't want to get caught by Dirla's not existent tech skills after the race

Actually Dirla cheats at every club race so I'm sure he knows exactly what to tech. To be fair, he also tried to cheat at the halloween classic and got caught Sure he forgot to lower the voltage down on his charger from where he was cheating at his own club track
Ive ran all versions at our track. Cant tell a difference in them really other than smoothness. Speed is still the same as that part hasnt changed.

Come see me this weekend.

Dirla always cheats....even cheating he still cant make the A at our club track! LOL

EA
Old 12-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by mracer
Anyone ever tried a "Y" harness from an airplane? plug the harness into the rx and one of the "legs" to the speedo leaving the other "leg" open for programming? A little more wire but would give you a constant open port for programming? Pros and Cons anyone?
Leaving the receiver in the loop prevents the hotwire from communicating with the esc, so unfortunately something like that doesn't work.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Krio
Leaving the receiver in the loop prevents the hotwire from communicating with the esc, so unfortunately something like that doesn't work.
Gotcha. Thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

So Mike and Eric.....Dirla is not smiling because he won the race....he is smiling because he cheated and didn't get caught?
Old 12-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

a little trick is to put a piece of battery tape around the plug but top to bottom, remove the excedent side tape and punch carefully the receiver pins through the tape, you end up with a piece of tape over the wires protuding to easily grab and pull the plug out.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think most of us are just trying to find a way to update out speed controls without the use of a small laptop. I for one am just looking to get away from windows. I have a netbook that is on its last legs, and I don't plan on replacing it. So if something is not done about all the windows only software that is out there now I will be running 17.5 no timing. The shocking part for me is we have heard for almost 2 years that "an app is coming." I will replace my 4 RS Pros I have now with ones that don't require windows. Don't really care about the cost at this point.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A few guys at the local track are running Viper speedos, which use a separate port, and a custom programmer a bit bigger than a credit card. It looks pretty slick.

Maybe the next major upgrade of the RS will offer something like this?
Old 12-16-2011, 03:52 AM
Tech Master

Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming

Sounds as tho we need a RTR speedo with (A) as in (1) on/off switch for these guys.......

What's wrong? Doesn't yer blue-tube device work with yer toaster yet?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 AM
Tech Initiate

I dont say much on the forum but i think remote programing is the wrong way to go it should always be hard wired
Ps I dont even know why people want new software the current software ROCKS If the new software is better then thats just the cherry on the top
Old 12-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I've got an idea...
If the hotwire has the bluetooth embedded in it rather than the ESC, it can be compatible with portable devices and still be removed from the ESC to eliminate the cheating aspect. It would need to be powered by the ESC unless it has a small rechargeable battery inside.
There can still be a connector hardwired into the ESC yet isolated from the wire that connects to the receiver. This way it won't add any more size or weight to the existing footprint and can be located in a convenient spot for programming.

Just a suggestion...
Old 12-17-2011, 05:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drillit
Sounds as tho we need a RTR speedo with (A) as in (1) on/off switch for these guys.......

What's wrong? Doesn't yer blue-tube device work with yer toaster yet?
I think you miss understood my post. I am not saying I want anything with bluetooth. This is not Big Bang Theory. However, what I am saying is there are more phones at the track then laptops. And that Windows is one of the largest mistakes in the computing world. Also I do not plan on replacing my netbook when it dies. So when someone gets smart about updating these to the "newest" software without needing a netbook or window I will change.

As for the newest software question above I agree this version is very good. However, when your at a big race and someone who has connections gets a hold of the unreleased test software which makes their 17.5 timing car faster then a mod car I have to say I want it too. Not that it is going to help my less then team worthy driving. It would just help me yard sale my care in a more spectacular fashion.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:40 AM
Tech Master

Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming

Nope, not a problem, just pokin fun at You big screen, HD, wifi, i phone types. I try to keep at least 1 friend at the track, and yes, he knows it's just to use his laptop. I've spent the last 2yrs. dialing in my power combinations, now it's just switching between boosted n blinky. (which i understand you can do with the 2 buttons on the rs)

Apple does do wonders for graphics i hear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.