Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Here's what I have tried to fix this with no luck so far.
HP mini notebook running XP. I had 208 loaded on this computer previously with no problems. When I installed 208 I chose the express install.

Download a fresh copy of HW SW and reload

deleted all remnants of all previous hotwire installations manually (I was only able to find the obvious files however. I imagine there is a file somewhere not allowing me to install the newest sw)

looked for a virtual store (not found I am assuming because it only exists in Vista and W7)

Tried turning user account verifications off. (Again not found)

Tried installing the express and full versions

Tried several different Tekins that work fine on other computers

Tried the Hot Wire cable on a 2 other computers

Tried installing HW to a different folder than the default.

I was sure to restart the computer on all installation attempts except the first (I haven't had to restart on any of the other installations)

The 2 dialog boxes I get are not ones I have ever seen before. The first says "This computer will NOT support updating your speed control software. Click CANCEL to go to Tekins help page, or OK to continue" After that page closes, the usual hotwire rectangle appears. If I plug in an RS, the SW opens after flashing this dialog box on to the screen

ENABLED: Adjustments
DISABLED: Updates

After that the software opens like usual, but there are errors on the page and it doesn't display correctly. If I make a setting change I get a 3rd dialog box about a runtime error and problems with some .dll. or sometimes it directs me to tekins home page to download the newest version of the SW. When I click the help button it says the SW version is 5.0.3

I have looked on Tekin's support page and reread back quite a ways on this thread, but I can't seem to find any information about this. Does anyone have any ideas? It seems like the old version is not being removed which is not allowing the new version to be installed...

Thanks.
Got a possible fix for you, it's a pain in the backside, but worth it. I had no end of dramas running hotwire (or hotwhore, as I called it for so long) tried everything. IT friend suggested it was probably the pre-loaded HP cut down version of XP causing problems. I backed up all data, re-formatted and re-loaded XP from a full disc (which was supplied with machine, also a HP mini Laptop). Problem solved, hotwire has not failed me once since then. I should of re-loaded XP earlier when it was first suggested. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Andrew,

That's what you get for not showing up to the IIC last month...

Did you download the .exe file or .zip file?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

This guide is for the TekinHotWire.zip file in zip format only.

Windows XP HotWire .zip format installation checklist
Windows Vista/Windows 7 HotWire .zip format installation checklist

Windows XP HotWire Install checklist for the .zip file format:

1. Download the new Tekin HotWire software in .zip file format--SAVE IT--DO NOT select "open" when prompted. You will next be asked where you want to save it to. The place to save it is somewhere easy to find like on your desktop.

2. Find the TekinHotWire.zip file that you downloaded in step 1 (it's on your desktop, right?). If you can't find it then go back to step 1 and try again, pay careful attention to where you are saving it to.

3. Double click the TekinHotWire.zip file. In the window that appears, look off to the side and you will see the word "Extract" or "Extract All Files", click that, the Windows Extraction Wizard will start. Just click 'Next' until the Extraction Wizard completes.

4. In the new window that appears, double click the"Setup.bat" file (its the setup file that has the picture of the little gear next to it).

5. If Windows asks you to allow the program to run, choose "Yes" or "Allow", then just keep hitting next until the Tekin HotWire Install Wizard is done. If the Tekin HotWire wizard doesn't start, go back to Step 4 and double-click the other Setup file (with the icon of the CD and the box).

6. Restart your computer. This is very important.

7. Once the computer is restarted you will see 2 HotWIre icons on your desktop. Only one will work right for Windows XP, the other is for Vista and Windows 7. You can right click the one that reads "HotWire 64" and select "Delete". You can also delete any leftover download files

Windows Vista/Windows 7 HotWire Install Checklist for the .zip file format:

1. Download the new Tekin HotWire software in the .zip file format--SAVE IT--DO NOT select "open" when it prompted. You will next be asked where you want to save it to. The place to save it is somewhere easy to find--like on your desktop.

2. Uninstall the old HotWire if it was on your computer. Go to Start-->Control Panel-->Programs & Feature. Click once on Tekin HotWire & select "Uninstall".

3. Skip this step if this is the first time you are installing the HotWire on this computer. If the HotWire was ever installed on this computer before, use the YouTube video to delete the "tekin.esc" file in the VirtualStore. In the YouTube video disregard the section about changing the extension from a .txt file to a .zip file, that was for people that had the HotWire emailed to them.

4. Empty your recycle bin then restart your computer--very important to do both of these.

5. Find the TekinHotWire.zip file that you downloaded in step 1 (it's on your desktop, right?). If you can't find it then go back to step 1 and try again, pay careful attention to where you are saving it to.

6. Double click the TekinHotWire.zip file. In the window that appears, look off to the side and you will see the word "Extract" or "Extract All Files", click that. If the File will not open or a flashing window appears, you will need to go to the HotWire Help page and follow the instructions.

7. In the new window that appears, double click the "Setup.exe" file (its the setup file that had the picture of the box & the CD next to it).

8. If Windows asks you to allow the program to run, choose "Yes" or "Allow", then just keep hitting next until the Tekin HotWire Install Wizard is done.

9. Restart your computer again. Once again, this is very important!

10. Once the computer is restarted you will see 2 HotWIre icons on your desktop. Only one will work right, one is for the 64bit Windows, other is for normal 32 bit Vista. If unsure, try double clicking either one to see which starts the HotWire. You can right click whichever one you don't need and select "Delete".
Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill
This guide is for the TekinHotWire.zip file in zip format only.

Windows XP HotWire .zip format installation checklist
Windows Vista/Windows 7 HotWire .zip format installation checklist

Windows XP HotWire Install checklist for the .zip file format:

1. Download the new Tekin HotWire software in .zip file format--SAVE IT--DO NOT select "open" when prompted. You will next be asked where you want to save it to. The place to save it is somewhere easy to find like on your desktop.

2. Find the TekinHotWire.zip file that you downloaded in step 1 (it's on your desktop, right?). If you can't find it then go back to step 1 and try again, pay careful attention to where you are saving it to.

3. Double click the TekinHotWire.zip file. In the window that appears, look off to the side and you will see the word "Extract" or "Extract All Files", click that, the Windows Extraction Wizard will start. Just click 'Next' until the Extraction Wizard completes.

4. In the new window that appears, double click the"Setup.bat" file (its the setup file that has the picture of the little gear next to it).

5. If Windows asks you to allow the program to run, choose "Yes" or "Allow", then just keep hitting next until the Tekin HotWire Install Wizard is done. If the Tekin HotWire wizard doesn't start, go back to Step 4 and double-click the other Setup file (with the icon of the CD and the box).

6. Restart your computer. This is very important.

7. Once the computer is restarted you will see 2 HotWIre icons on your desktop. Only one will work right for Windows XP, the other is for Vista and Windows 7. You can right click the one that reads "HotWire 64" and select "Delete". You can also delete any leftover download files

Windows Vista/Windows 7 HotWire Install Checklist for the .zip file format:

1. Download the new Tekin HotWire software in the .zip file format--SAVE IT--DO NOT select "open" when it prompted. You will next be asked where you want to save it to. The place to save it is somewhere easy to find--like on your desktop.

2. Uninstall the old HotWire if it was on your computer. Go to Start-->Control Panel-->Programs & Feature. Click once on Tekin HotWire & select "Uninstall".

3. Skip this step if this is the first time you are installing the HotWire on this computer. If the HotWire was ever installed on this computer before, use the YouTube video to delete the "tekin.esc" file in the VirtualStore. In the YouTube video disregard the section about changing the extension from a .txt file to a .zip file, that was for people that had the HotWire emailed to them.

4. Empty your recycle bin then restart your computer--very important to do both of these.

5. Find the TekinHotWire.zip file that you downloaded in step 1 (it's on your desktop, right?). If you can't find it then go back to step 1 and try again, pay careful attention to where you are saving it to.

6. Double click the TekinHotWire.zip file. In the window that appears, look off to the side and you will see the word "Extract" or "Extract All Files", click that. If the File will not open or a flashing window appears, you will need to go to the HotWire Help page and follow the instructions.

7. In the new window that appears, double click the "Setup.exe" file (its the setup file that had the picture of the box & the CD next to it).

8. If Windows asks you to allow the program to run, choose "Yes" or "Allow", then just keep hitting next until the Tekin HotWire Install Wizard is done.

9. Restart your computer again. Once again, this is very important!

10. Once the computer is restarted you will see 2 HotWIre icons on your desktop. Only one will work right, one is for the 64bit Windows, other is for normal 32 bit Vista. If unsure, try double clicking either one to see which starts the HotWire. You can right click whichever one you don't need and select "Delete".

I have tried both the zip and the exe. I swear I have loaded and deleted a lifetime's worth of hotwire copies in the last 24 hours.

I have not seen the two icons for 64 and 32 bit on any of the machines I have used however, even the ones that installed correctly. And I did not have to register via e-mail either this time. Has that been everyone else's experience as well?

I think it has to be the machine, but it seems odd considering it is brand new.
I will try the new XP load.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by waOscar
Got a possible fix for you, it's a pain in the backside, but worth it. I had no end of dramas running hotwire (or hotwhore, as I called it for so long) tried everything. IT friend suggested it was probably the pre-loaded HP cut down version of XP causing problems. I backed up all data, re-formatted and re-loaded XP from a full disc (which was supplied with machine, also a HP mini Laptop). Problem solved, hotwire has not failed me once since then. I should of re-loaded XP earlier when it was first suggested. Good luck.
This sounds promising, thank you!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Problem with power fading

Hi all,

My apologies if this has been covered before...I'm running v212 in 12th scale 17.5 with the following settings:

Orca fixed timing (12 degree) 17.5
Boost 45
Start/End RPM 2,5xx/8,0xx
Turbo 10
Ramp 2
Delay 0.3
Rollout 78mm

The problem is that for the first 3-4 minutes or so the car is absolutely ballistic but then falls completely on it's face for the last 4-5 minutes. Tonight I started out turning 8.2-8.3 sec laps consistently but then had trouble breaking 9 sec in the second half of the race.

The car's handling was consistently good it was simply that it wasn't going as fast as it did at the beginning. This behaviour was confirmed by someone who I had specifically asked to watch for this.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 10-25-2010, 02:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike
Hi all,

My apologies if this has been covered before...I'm running v212 in 12th scale 17.5 with the following settings:

Boost 45
Turbo 10
Ramp 2
Delay 0.3
Rollout 78mm

The problem is that for the first 3-4 minutes or so the car is absolutely ballistic but then falls completely on it's face for the last 4-5 minutes. Tonight I started out turning 8.2-8.3 sec laps consistently but then had trouble breaking 9 sec in the second half of the race.

The car's handling was consistently good it was simply that it wasn't going as fast as it did at the beginning. This behaviour was confirmed by someone who I had specifically asked to watch for this.

Cheers,
Mike
The battey....I guess.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike
Hi all,

Boost 45
Turbo 10
Ramp 2
Delay 0.3
Rollout 78mm

Cheers,
Mike
looks like you are overheating the motor maybe, usually a problem caused by overtiming the motor.

Drop the Boost by 8-12' to start with and also activate the limiter to around 90-95%.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:10 AM
Tech Regular

I had the same problem with 1s 17.5. The thing went great for first 3 mins then dropped off really noticeably. I was running nearly the same settings but rpm range was 3000 to 4500 with no turbo as track was small. The problem Is running 17.5 can go as quick but you need to really work the motor with timing and this it the problem they are getting hot making the performance drop. I tried everything to get it right and fast but couldn't do both. I have now gone to 10.5 at 45 boost and nothing else and it's as quick but without the drop off. Of course it could be much quicker but am happy as is on our small track.

Last edited by darrenoakley; 10-25-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:00 AM
Tech Addict

Default Windows7 64bit users

Just thought I would post this up for those using Windows7 64bit trying to remove a previous version of Tekin HotWire from the virtual store. I found that when I tried to use the path given in the YouTube video (c\users\name\appdata\virtual store) when I got to and opened the users name file that there was no "appdata" file to open So I had to take another path, go to desktop\computer, there click the organize button in the top left, then folders and search options, click the view button and there you will be able to change from don't show hidden files and folders to show hidden files and folders then OK. After that restart your computer and use the path given in the YouTube vid to remove the old version of tekin hotwire.
Hope this is helpful
Old 10-25-2010, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

I had a problem getting 212 installed on my Win7 32bit desktop, I've never had a problem getting any of the other versions installed and working properly.

Following the instructions recommended instructions of uninstalling v208 from the control panel, making sure the virtual store was deleted, rebooting, installing 212 and then rebooting the software updated my ESC fine but would not allow me to set/adjust any settings. When clicking Apply the software said, "Visit Tekin.com for the lastest version" or some message close to that, even though the software was reporting 212 was on the ESC and had zero issues updating it.

To fix, I uninstalled v212. Then installed v208 and reflashed my ESC back to version 208. I then ran the v212 installer without uninstalling or rebooting. When I then plugged in the hotwire and ran the software. V212 updated my ESC automatically and settings were finally able to take. I was able to update 4 ESCs after getting the first one to work properly.

Thought I would share the experience, maybe it will help some of those having problems.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
looks like you are overheating the motor maybe, usually a problem caused by overtiming the motor.

Drop the Boost by 8-12' to start with and also activate the limiter to around 90-95%.
I think COOKIE is right on with this! Dropping the amount of Boost should help. If you want to keep tinkering beyond that, here are a couple of other things. Your RPM range is to high. the motor never runs out of the top end of the RPM setting, then your hitting it with 10 Turbo while it's still trying to apply Boost. Common issue for most users. You may try moving your RPM range down to make room for Turbo to apply independently. Also, move the Delay setting a few tenths longer. The goal is "coordinate" the settings, not "overlap".
Old 10-25-2010, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

Hi

Was wondering if someone could suggest a RS Pro setup for a 4.5T motor for a 1/10 TC. The track is mid sized with a 35-40m straight and a technical infield.

I probably don't want turbo enabled so would setting the boost/turbo to 0 prevent it from kicking in? My only experience with the Tekin is with a 10.5T motor. I have the latest 212 software loaded.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jkirkwood
I had a problem getting 212 installed on my Win7 32bit desktop, I've never had a problem getting any of the other versions installed and working properly.

Following the instructions recommended instructions of uninstalling v208 from the control panel, making sure the virtual store was deleted, rebooting, installing 212 and then rebooting the software updated my ESC fine but would not allow me to set/adjust any settings. When clicking Apply the software said, "Visit Tekin.com for the lastest version" or some message close to that, even though the software was reporting 212 was on the ESC and had zero issues updating it.

To fix, I uninstalled v212. Then installed v208 and reflashed my ESC back to version 208. I then ran the v212 installer without uninstalling or rebooting. When I then plugged in the hotwire and ran the software. V212 updated my ESC automatically and settings were finally able to take. I was able to update 4 ESCs after getting the first one to work properly.

Thought I would share the experience, maybe it will help some of those having problems.
I had this problem with just one of the many RSs I set up at the UK 12th scale nationals meeting last weekend (I lost count!). I closed everything down, unplugged everything, started again and it updated OK. I think there may be more than one reason for the message, but all the ones I've heard about are recoverable.

Trev
Old 10-25-2010, 06:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

What is the aprox max rpm that a 3.7 cell lipo will make with a 17.5?

light

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.