Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
2008 R.O.A.R. ASPHALT NATIONALS (UPDATED INFO THREAD) >

2008 R.O.A.R. ASPHALT NATIONALS (UPDATED INFO THREAD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 R.O.A.R. ASPHALT NATIONALS (UPDATED INFO THREAD)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
As posted on the ROAR Website earlier today:

06/06/08 - MOTOR ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THE NATIONALS

ROAR has experimented with several different methods for handling the Stock and Super Stock motors at a national event. Processes and directives are now required for the brushless motors to clarify fairness in those classes. The ROAR Executive Committee has recognized this and discussed it with great enthusiasm. Here are the results of that discussion. These directives will be utilized at the upcoming national championship events where electric motors will be run.

Each contestant is allowed to use 3 individual motors for each the Stock and Super Stock classes. The maximum of 3 can consist of any combination of brushed or brushless motor types from any approved motor manufacturer.

All motors for the Stock and Super Stock classes must be submitted to ROAR RMT technical inspection prior to the start of racing. The technical inspector shall inspect each motor submitted for compliance to ROAR rules for the class entered. Each brushless motor will then be sealed and serialized to that specific driver upon passing inspection.

The manufacture installed aluminum beauty ring may be removed from brushless motors. No other modifications to the approved brushless motor can in stock and super stock are allowed.

After the brushless motor has been sealed, no rotor changes are allowed for the remainder of the event.

Brushed motors will be marked with serial numbers on the can and the armature.

No other armature can be used in that specific motor can after the armature has been marked by the inspectors

Brushless motors may be disassembled with supervision of the inspectors for purpose of normal motor maintenance such as bearing lubrication, or change if they are damaged or excessively worn. Rotors may not be changed as part of normal motor maintenance.

Brushed motors may be disassembled for normal maintenance without supervision of the inspectors.

If the seal on the brushless motor has been compromised without supervision of the inspector, that motor will be impounded till the end of the event, then returned to the owner. That driver will then finish the competition with the two remaining motors he has submitted for inspection and registration.

ROAR has taken these steps in effort to make the process the same whether you race with a brushed or a brushless motor. There would be an advantage for the brushless motor if rotor changes where allowed. Since we cannot permanently mark the rotor at these events, it was considered best to seal the brushless motor to prevent rotor changes. Also, ROAR is following the precedence set in the days of handout motors by limiting the drivers to 3 motors per class.
I think the motors should be allowed to be teched/inspected at any time during the event, not be required to be inspected prior to the start of racing. I hope this is just an oversight.

In this case, racers must be sure to have three motors in hand and inspected just in case something were to happen to them rather than submit one and submit additional motors on an as needed basis.

Just out of curiosity, what would happen to the budget minded racer who has spent his hard earned cash to attend and can only submit one motor and that one motor fails? Will you not allow him to race any more?
Old 06-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Rick to answer some of your questions.

1. No you are not required to submit all 3 motors prior to the race. We never required that in the brushed era we will not require that in the brushless era. Just a little miss worded. I would strongly recommend that you tech what you know you are going to race before the start of racing. If you come up with a new motor for motor tech 1, 2 or 3 heats prior to your heat you may not make it. Once racing starts race tech will take priority, so plan accordingly.

2. If we had a case where a budget minded racer were to come with one motor and it failed, no that motor would not be allowed to compete until it was fixed to be in compliance with the rules. The racer could race, we wouldn't prevent him from competing but his equipment must pass the same technical inspection as everyone else. If this were the case we'd look for someone to help him out. This is RC racing and one thing I can say about RC racers is we tend to be good people willing to help others out in a time of need. I don't think finding a loaner or a way to get that racer onto the track legally would be difficult.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

View of drivers stand from pit area.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 R.O.A.R. ASPHALT NATIONALS (UPDATED INFO THREAD)-img_1322.jpg  
Old 06-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
I would also like to restate the following!
new wallpaper
Old 06-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi:

We just wanted everyone who is running an E4 (and for those of you who want to) that we will be there in full force to support our drivers. This means parts and whatever we can do to help you be successful at the race. We also want to give our support to Quinton who is doing a great job of preparing this awesome facilitity for the race. In addition to parts we will also have a demo car for drivers to try out. BTW: demo means demonstration not demolition.

We look forward to seeing you all there.

Wolf
Old 06-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Well put Ruben!! You guys are doing a great job!

Here's a thought I had (I average 3 or 4 per year)- If a racer were to burn up one of his 3 motors he had teched at the beginning of the race, and went to the hobby shop (or a quick pass by EA's pit while EA wasn't looking...hehe) and came to the race directors with his burt motor with tech serial numbers still in tact, would tech be willing to confiscate the burned up motor and tech the replacement assuming the bad motor was obviously bad (i.e.- slung a wind, cooked, cracked magnet) and assuming the need for a swap is in good faith (no funny business)?

My thinking is this- I show up with 3 motors and one is fast but the others are average. I'm a budget minded racer so I can't afford to buy 40 motors to find 3 killers... I burn up my good motor trying to better my qualifying posiiton now I have junk to race with. Quinton tells me he's got a good motor in the hobby shop but that does me no good if I've already teched 3, so I'm S.O.L. If ROAR were to allow one mulligan, it might put me back in the game... cause I have full intentions of winning the "F" main darnit!!! LMAO

I need to go to bed....
Old 06-11-2008, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

that is a good thought Big Dog, so fess up, where did you read it, you cant really expect us to believe you came up with that on your own not only that, you know your gunna tech 3 fast ones, when did you ever have an average motor in your box ???
see you in a week

Originally Posted by BigDogRacing

Here's a thought I had (I average 3 or 4 per year)- If a racer were to burn up one of his 3 motors he had teched at the beginning of the race, and went to the hobby shop (or a quick pass by EA's pit while EA wasn't looking...hehe) and came to the race directors with his burt motor with tech serial numbers still in tact, would tech be willing to confiscate the burned up motor and tech the replacement assuming the bad motor was obviously bad (i.e.- slung a wind, cooked, cracked magnet) and assuming the need for a swap is in good faith (no funny business)?

My thinking is this- I show up with 3 motors and one is fast but the others are average. I'm a budget minded racer so I can't afford to buy 40 motors to find 3 killers... I burn up my good motor trying to better my qualifying posiiton now I have junk to race with. Quinton tells me he's got a good motor in the hobby shop but that does me no good if I've already teched 3, so I'm S.O.L. If ROAR were to allow one mulligan, it might put me back in the game... cause I have full intentions of winning the "F" main darnit!!! LMAO

I need to go to bed....
Old 06-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by schurcr
Rick to answer some of your questions.

1. No you are not required to submit all 3 motors prior to the race. We never required that in the brushed era we will not require that in the brushless era. Just a little miss worded. I would strongly recommend that you tech what you know you are going to race before the start of racing. If you come up with a new motor for motor tech 1, 2 or 3 heats prior to your heat you may not make it. Once racing starts race tech will take priority, so plan accordingly.

2. If we had a case where a budget minded racer were to come with one motor and it failed, no that motor would not be allowed to compete until it was fixed to be in compliance with the rules. The racer could race, we wouldn't prevent him from competing but his equipment must pass the same technical inspection as everyone else. If this were the case we'd look for someone to help him out. This is RC racing and one thing I can say about RC racers is we tend to be good people willing to help others out in a time of need. I don't think finding a loaner or a way to get that racer onto the track legally would be difficult.
OK
Old 06-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by BigDogRacing

I need to go to bed....
Im not trying to shoot your "thought" out of the sky, but I am going to state the other angle out there.

Much of the purpose for limiting motors and tires is for cost control. My guess is that three will be the limit. I could see letting the guy that origionaly check in two motors ad a third if needed. However the whole point of setting a limit is to "set a limit". I would say if you have a good motor, dont roast it.

Agian not trying to bust a bubble, Im just trying to look at all sides of the bubble.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Regional Moderator

Mdoc,

What are you guys running?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

In regards to the online registration, if you entered this event within the last week or so and are still showing unconfirmed, please be patient. You have a receipt showing you paid therefore you will not be denied entry. The system updates manually and the site administrator has been attending the off road fuel buggy nationals and managing the LiveRC broadcast and more than likely didn't get a chance to update the Pay Pal account.

thanks for your patience.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thats why you just tech 2 motors and save the 3rd just in case.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Q--

Jason is running Stock and Super Stock.
Gary is running Master's.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Jason "Big Pup" Lutz ...why ain't your name on the entry list?

How ya been my friend?
Old 06-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

So basically if you had a motor go bad during lets say heat one, that person should be able to get there hands on another motor and get it to a ROAR official to have it teched by round 2 of the same day. (most likely there would be many hours between rounds). I think this is what Rick is asking right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.