Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TEAM WAVE racing brushless system

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm a little po'ed - so I'll try and moderate my post. Please read and tell me I'm doing something wrong.

A respected racer and friend sells me a RB-50. He retires from racing (which is why he is selling the speedo).

I install it in my 2WD buggy along with LIPO, R153F Receiver, 3PM radio. Can't get it to work......lose my race fees and bother my other friends trying to get this thing to go.

Next race out - I try again with 5 other R153F's and a R133F. No go. Friend of mine lends me a 3PK with a spectrum receiver. Magic - works fine.

Go home check my TX/RX's and all seem fine.

I figure my TX is bad - buy a new 3pm and receiver - remove the shrink wrap - slap it together with the RB-50 - no go.

Thats it - I contact my friend - friction starts. We kiss and make up after a heated argument. I toss the RB-50 aside for a few months because I figure its done. So be it.

Today - on the bench, I start trying all kinds of combinations 3pm (2 tx's), R153F (X4), R133F (x1). No go.

For a farce, I take out a HPI TF-3 and cheapy receiver I have lying around. Zip Zap - programs and all is fine.

WTF is that????

Futaba R153F and R133F are not "oddball" receivers. Where is the warning on Team Wave's site saying their products won't work with extremly popular receivers? I cannot beleive this is news to the Team Wave people? Within this thread there is information about problems (my bad for not reading this thread earlier).

Very disappointed and stuck with a ESC that won't work with a Futaba 3PM and 153/133F's.

Unbeleivable.

Am I out to lunch being po'ed here?

Last edited by CaliberX; 12-21-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaliberX
I'm a little po'ed - so I'll try and moderate my post. Please read and tell me I'm doing something wrong.

A respected racer and friend sells me a RB-50. He retires from racing (which is why he is selling the speedo).

I install it in my 2WD buggy along with LIPO, R153F Receiver, 3PM radio. Can't get it to work......lose my race fees and bother my other friends trying to get this thing to go.

Next race out - I try again with 5 other R153F's and a R133F. No go. Friend of mine lends me a 3PK with a spectrum receiver. Magic - works fine.

Go home check my TX/RX's and all seem fine.

I figure my TX is bad - my a new 3pm and receiver - remove the shrink wrap - slap it together with the RB-50 - no go.

Thats it - I contact my friend - friction starts. We kiss and make up after a heated argument. I toss the RB-50 aside for a few months because I figure its done. So be it.

Today - on the bench, I start trying all kinds of combinations 3pm (2 tx's), R153F (X4), R133F (x1). No go.

For a farce, I take out a HPI TF-3 and cheapy receiver I have lying around. Zip Zap - programs and all is fine.

WTF is that????

Futaba R153F and R133F are not "oddball" receivers. Where is the warning on Team Wave's site saying their products won't work with extremly popular receivers? I cannot beleive this is news to the Team Wave people? Within this thread there is information about problems (my bad for not reading this thread earlier).

Very disappointed and stuck with a ESC that won't work with a Futaba 3PM and 153/133F's.

Unbeleivable.

Am I out to lunch being po'ed here?
what receivers are the 153/133?

Im using a 3pm as well, and the receivers are r603ff or something along that line
Old 12-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just to check I have Team Wave motor ESC sensor harness cable. Was thinking if it's compatible with LRP TC Spec & motor. The connectors head are same.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

These are crystal receivers. I think you are referring to 2.4 receivers?

You know - I received a PM from a Team Wave representative within MINUTES with a solution.

I was po'ed for sure - but this kind of service is something I will not forget when I purchase my next new speedo.

Big Props to TeamWave stepping in with custumer service.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi CaliberX

I had the same problem, the speedo does not work in PCM mode. I solved it by using an old novak receiver and running it in ppm mode. You'll see a few pages back I asked about this and never received a reply.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Question:
Im thinking about getting the RB-S for 17.5 or 13.5 1S lipo..
Are there any difference power advantage between RB50 and RB-S for stock motor?

Last edited by Goingfast; 12-22-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Anybody her using this esc with M11X radio with FHSS3 type receivers? I m just asking coz I m interested to get one either the RB50 or RB-S.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Tech Adept

Hi All,

If tunning STOCK motors (8.5T - 21.5T), speed/power is as follow:

RB-S > RB50 > RB30

if running modify, RB50 is the only choice. If you are not racing or just playing drift, rock crawler, RB30 is the good choice.

The fastest way to get customer support is to send email to us directly ([email protected])
Old 12-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Adept

For Radio system support, Futaba R153/R133 receiver use 2.5V signal level which is too low for RB series speed controller. All 2.4G system use 5V system already and no problem for RB series controller.

For PCM system, it will work with PCM1024 and PCM synthesizer.

If user found problem with their receiver, please send us an email, we can ship you an extension cable which can boost the 2.5V signal to 5V.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Franko, get the RB-S....I will have mine soon. Should be good for 1 S 13.5. I am going to run it in a world GT car, I will let you know how it works out.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

Wow!!! that was a quick response brom TW...thank you...I m planning to use this esc for Mini 4wd class , will probably run 10T or 11.5T.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TEAMWAVE
Hi All,

The fastest way to get customer support is to send email to us directly ([email protected])
I should of done that before spouting off on the forum

Teamwave responded immediately and quickly - good on them for that.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Goingfast
Question:
Im thinking about getting the RB-S for 17.5 or 13.5 1S lipo..
Are there any difference power advantage between RB50 and RB-S for stock motor?
I believe this has already been answered but... For spec motors the RB-S has a lot more power with its newer turbo system. It will make you rethink what motors are good.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

i just installed my RB-S onto my car and ran the car off the ground... with 2x turbo, i was like shocked by the power!!!... when turbo kicked in, it was like i had a mod motor in my car... WTF were the exact words that came out of my mouth at that instance...

but i have some feedback which i hope Team Wave can take in good attitude so that their products can continue to improve...

they are:

1. ESC fan is a direct connection to battery... so the fan will turn on the moment you plug in your batts even with the esc off... might consider making it turn on only when the esc is switched on....

2. My esc does not switch off... it has a quirk whereby it sometimes turn on even after i turned my esc switch off... only when i unplug does it stay off... maybe make the switch a hard switch instead of a logical one? a esc switching on by itself is kinda freaky...

3. the esc fan is freaking loud... a small complaint that i can still live with...
Old 12-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
I believe this has already been answered but... For spec motors the RB-S has a lot more power with its newer turbo system. It will make you rethink what motors are good.
lol that's cool

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.