cyclone, lrp, others???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

cyclone, lrp, others???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 11:48 PM
Tech Adept

Ok i experienced similar problems described above, not with a Keyence but a CS Rocket. I knew it wasn't the speedo and I would put money that it isn't yours either. I came to find out it was a shunt on brush that was lose. It came un-soldered and I didn't find until I was cleaning my motor and and it fell off :O I thought it was my receiver, So I moved it and did a few other things AND swithed to a different motor at same time. Problem cured, but I know it was shunt. SO my advice check brushes (snap em a few times too) and also maybe change motor completely and check rec.
Old 02-09-2002, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by Keyence

Viper &/or Ian S,

Have you ever encounter a problem with the Keyence Zero V Extreme, when suddenly your car goes "crazy" (out of control in full throttle)?

Somebody told me it's because of me not putting the capacitor for the motor. But my argument is that the motor has a built in capacitor.

Your advice is very much appreciated.

Regards,
Mr. Imam, if it is bother you that much, why don't you return it or get another one
Old 02-09-2002, 03:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by Pyramid

Mr. Imam, if it is bother you that much, why don't you return it or get another one

Pyramid,
No way!!! Never that I will return the Pentium of all ESC. Wait till you see the manuals and you know what I mean.

The problem does not occur anymore after I put on extra capacitor. But, I just want to be sure and share it with other proud Keyence owner. In case they know what is the real cause of it.

Furthermore, if you notice, many top Japanese drivers are using this speedo. Top national drivers won't use it if it's lousy.

I guess you were just jealous for not having one.....

What was your ESC......????
Old 02-09-2002, 03:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by WailinOnYa
Keyence: I have never had that problem with mine. Are you sure it is the speedo and not the receiver or something else causing the glitch. Try another motor if possible and a different receiver. If you haven't checked any of these other factors it's possible it is being caused by something else.
WailinOnYa,

I am 100% sure that it is not the receiver nor the motor. Cos' I used the same motor and receiver with my other ESC and there was no glitching.

Did you put all the 3 capacitors provided by the ESC? I did not, because I believe the built in capacitor in my motor should be enough.
Old 02-09-2002, 04:50 AM

Originally posted by Keyence

Pyramid,
No way!!! Never that I will return the Pentium of all ESC. Wait till you see the manuals and you know what I mean.

The problem does not occur anymore after I put on extra capacitor. But, I just want to be sure and share it with other proud Keyence owner. In case they know what is the real cause of it.

Furthermore, if you notice, many top Japanese drivers are using this speedo. Top national drivers won't use it if it's lousy.

I guess you were just jealous for not having one.....

What was your ESC......????
Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I meant is that if you really that curious whether or not yours is functioning correctly, you should exchange it or get 1 more to compare

Oh yes, that ESC must be great. I'm the believer of "you get what you paid for".

In fact, I'm ordering the GMV12XC yokomo edition that cost only 5% less than your Keyence but almost 90% more than the original GM made. Why should I paid that much? First, not much people use it (don't really care the reason). Second, Yoks must have altered in anyway to make it better (higher grade of components maybe). For example: GM VIS charger, do you prefer the original one or the Yokomo Altered?
Old 02-09-2002, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Keyence: I didn't use the caps supplied with the Keyence speedo, but I did use the ones supplied with the motors I have. I am using the older motors that you still have to solder on the caps. It is also possible that one of the caps that is mounted in the endbell was bad and that is why the problem was solved when you soldered the keyence ones to the endbell. I have heard of other people having glitching problems due to bad caps in the motors, this sounds like what it was. So other than that problem how you like your New Keyence, it has more adjustments than an R2D2 unit, lol.
Old 02-09-2002, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

does anyone know where i can get the lower half of the case on a novak synthesised reciever. busted the bottom on mine.
Old 02-10-2002, 06:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by WailinOnYa
Keyence: I didn't use the caps supplied with the Keyence speedo, but I did use the ones supplied with the motors I have. I am using the older motors that you still have to solder on the caps. It is also possible that one of the caps that is mounted in the endbell was bad and that is why the problem was solved when you soldered the keyence ones to the endbell. I have heard of other people having glitching problems due to bad caps in the motors, this sounds like what it was. So other than that problem how you like your New Keyence, it has more adjustments than an R2D2 unit, lol.
Other than the glitches that only happened at that time...... I am very satisfied with the Keyence Zero V Extreme.... it has all the adjustment (note: On board with digital display on it) that you can imagine for any kind of terrain.

And I don't think R2D2 nor C3PO has that kind of chips installed in them

In a simple word: AWESOME !!!!
Old 02-10-2002, 07:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

johnbull- I now have the TC2 and all I can say is WOW!!! Very adjustable, smooth, and plenty of punch. Once I get a hold of a friends pit wizard I'll start to play with chaging a few profile's to get a custom fit for my driving. Thanks for all of your in put.
Old 02-10-2002, 07:26 AM
Tech Adept

I've never had any problem with mine. I use 1 of the supplied caps from the + to - because my motor has surface mount caps. I did once have one of the surface mount caps fall out of the motor mid race because i hadnt tightened one of the screws up properly.
Old 02-10-2002, 08:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ian S,

Thanks a lot. I guess it was just at that time I did not put the extra capacitor like you do. I relied fully on the surface mounted caps.

Regards,
Old 02-11-2002, 04:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default MRT IS THE BEST SPEEDO

I've read through all the posts and can't believe nobody has said anything about MRT speed controllers. I use their latest speedo the VX PRO I reckon it's the best speedo I have used it's even better than the TC2 the Keyence and the CS RocketMax.

I think the VX PRO is better than the RocketMax, I checked out the CS website and here is what it says:

3 integrated POWER PRESETS (hard/medium/soft)

my VX PRO has 14 power presets - 7 for punch & 7 for smooth

Optional INDIVIDUAL characteristic. Programmable by PC-

why? with 14 presets why have any more?

No less than 18 MOS-Power FETīs increase efficiency and power

my VX PRO has less MOSFETS but are the more powerful TO220
type and better performance

A clear DIGITAL DISPLAY shows actual settings and you can easily
check and change previous setups with only one push of the
setup-button

my VX PRO has a clear DIGITAL LED DISPLAY and can do the same

Integrated MICRO-GOLD-CONNECTORS make easy wiring and
fast changing from one model to another possible

my VX PRO has MICRO-GOLD-CONNECTORS the same but they are spaced out so the wires don't touch and short together

An integrated MICRO SWITCH avoids extra wiring and mounting

my VX PRO has the same

my VX PRO is also 100% waterproof and I love to use it in the rain!!!

and it has 'PowerLogic' protection that makes it idiot proof so I can't fry it, and that's just great!!!

somebody said they like the rocketmax because:

"The best and smartest ESC out there.
First to have the switch integrated in the case (long before Novak),
The first to have a digital diplay for easy programming( long before Keyence),
The first to have exchangable wires with gold plugs (long before GM) and it can be programmed via PC.
This beast got 18 inline fets and it doesn't even get warm on a 8T motor"

why is it so good to be the first? my VX PRO is just the best and that's good enough for me!!
Old 02-11-2002, 11:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Tough crowd here. Seems everyone has the definitive opinion here. I can say this much. I run the latest Keyence in my cars now. I used to run all Novak stuff without any problems either though. I switched to the Keyence because I needed a new ESC and thought I'd try something else. I am glad I did. The Novak TC2/C2/etc. has many available programming options, but you need to have the Pit Wizard or the new Millenium Pro w/Pit Wizard software included to change it. The Keyence is smaller, lighter, has the lowest on-resistance I know of and you can make all the programming changes right there at trackside. As well, I was kinda sick of soldering all 4 wires onto 3 posts with the Novak - and I'm exceptionally good at soldering. I can imagine how difficult it is to solder the Novak stuff to the novice hobbyist who hasn't used a soldering gun for years and years. What's very cool is you can change all that programming data right at track side without hooking up any external hardware or PC (like we ALL carry around a computer at the track).

Bottom line, if you buy a high-end ESC you are probably going to be happy with it. Unless you are a top factory driver, you are not going to notice the performance differences between them. Granted if you have them set-up for off-road buggy and you're racing 4wd Modified Sedan you will maybe notice a difference - but that's due to a lack of reading the directions. As long as you pick one of them and set it up properly you will like it. None of them are going to make the difference between A-Main vs. B-Main if you are comparing best of Novak vs. Keyence vs. LRP, etc.

I chose the top Keyence ESC and I hope you do too. If nothing else, why be like everyone else? It's my favorite and in my own opinion, one of the best kept secrets in R/C. So many club racers get caught up in what all the fine print, advertising and specs say...I've yet to see one local racer actually plug in a Pit Wizard. If you have a top of the line ESC and you aren't doing well...it's because you need to improve your actual driving or it's just set-up wrong. THEY ARE ALL GOOD.
Old 02-11-2002, 11:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

And before someone corrects me, yes I know the Novaks have some (3 or 4) preset programs in them for running different profiles that you can simply manually set.

The other side of the coin for running the Keyence is with all that functionability comes a large manual (for an ESC) for setting it up. It can be intimidating, but once you start doing different settings you'll quickly get the hang of it and it's quite easy from there. I have a few different programs saved in the ESC that I can easily and quickly switch to at trackside if I forgot to change it in the pit area.

You can even set the thing up to have an engine-breaking like feature that will closely replicate how your real car breaks when you downshift a manual transmission. Very cool stuff...it just goes on from there. For set-up tips on the Keyence you can give us a call or even call Schumacher USA for some base settings. They will know exactly how to explain to you right over the phone what you need to do to it. They know it probably better than anyone other than Keyence.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

MdiRacing: Thanks for the detailed info on the keyence. I've heard they are pretty good but no-one could really tell me why and make me want to switch. After reading your post the next ESC I buy will be a keyence so I can try them out myself.

I agree with you that you wont notice any real difference with the top end ESCs. But you notice a extreme difference when you switch from a mid end ESC to a top of the line ESC. I changed from my lrp pro sport to a novak tc2...and it was the best thing that I could do to my hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.