Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Take-Off and RP tires gone out of production??? >

Take-Off and RP tires gone out of production???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take-Off and RP tires gone out of production???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ok.....for those of who use rp30s, what is the equal tire in terms of temp range for Jaco, Muchmore, Sorex.?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Ive been using the NoMark tyres from TOP Racing.
Been very happy with them especially the L30 and N40 on outdoor asphalt.

http://www.top-racing.jp/showProduct...&ProductID=165

Did a recent 6 hour enduro series and tyres lasted around 3.5 hours into the event with very consistent performance.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Will this affect the tamiya tires too?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Will this affect the tamiya tires too?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

As far as Jaco's, the blues

Originally Posted by Island Losi
ok.....for those of who use rp30s, what is the equal tire in terms of temp range for Jaco, Muchmore, Sorex.?
Old 01-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

good to here the jaco blues are close to rp 30s does this transfer to the carpet as well as asphalt ?

jaco tires were used at the novak the green compound. guy said theyhad good grip but after like the 4th or 5th run the tires would split and tear. It was happening to alot of people and they werent happy. i hope this was just a small hickup and it can be fixed.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Maybe a good time to switch to drifting = no rubber tires required...
Old 01-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Rumors and speculation abounding! YAY!

For those of you who would like the real truth (which is never as fun or interesting as folks making things up...) here it is and try not to doze off:

Schumacher USA has been the exclusive importer of Take Off tires (CS and RP series) for a number of years now. In my understanding, we've supplied essentially every major race with tires during that period. Consistent supply, quality product, and a great relationship with race promoters and track owners all across the country have grown Take Off to be a well known and racer loved brand of tire.

But a couple things happened last fall that have basically ground all of that to a screeching halt:

1) Take Off got into the OEM business hard and fast, and that hurt our normally steady supply of Take Off branded (RP and CS) tires late last summer.

2) Just after that big push of OEM product, and getting us back up to normal operational volumes (we normally stock thousands upon thousands of control tire sets) the supply just stopped. Communication was not returned, no timeline for new order deliveries were given, and we actually had to get a little nasty in order to get any response from them at all. And when it came:

3) In November we were informed that they had run out of a certain chemical that is absolutely critical for manufacturing a top quality tire with excellent grip and wear properties. CS and RP production had halted, but the OEM products remain in production to this day. It seems as though they don't want their good name messed up by inferior tires, but they don't mind changing and continuing to sell the new formulation to others.

So, we found ourselves in the proverbial "sticky wickett". No incoming supply, and we have to cover our club racing control tire agreements around the country, and have no excess supply to bid on national level races with. I figured we had enough tire sets to last us through January, and that would give us enough time to find an alternative.

After much looking and testing, we found the golden ticket. Same grip and wear characteristics, same quality, and even the same price! Massive amounts of tires are scheduled to start arriving in mid/late Feb, and we'll officially announce and introduce this new company and brand at that time.

Now the plan went wrong when everyone seemed to notice the Take Off supply was down about a month after we knew what was happening, and had already secured a new brand. All of a sudden, everyone but us was out, and we had a run on tires like we've never seen. The supply that was supposed to easily last through January and allow a smooth transition to the new souce didn't even make it through half of December! I've been purposely avoiding public discussion regarding this, as I'd rather not appear as though I'm dragging Take Off through the mud. The plan was a smooth transition and introduction of the new product with little or no talk about "why". Unfortunately that couldn't happen, and I felt some real truth about the matter might ease the chatter and rumor mill a bit.

As far as Schumacher USA/Take Off and control tire races go - nothing was "lost" there at all. Jaco tires would have been run in their intro race in October even if we we sent all the needed Take Off sets to the race for free. Jaco needed that race for promotion of their new product, and intended to have it at any price, so they got it - no biggie in the grand scheme of several years of consistent quality product race support from Schumacher USA and Take Off.

In the face of no new supply until February, the LAST thing I was going to do was make a tire deal for an upcoming major race, so Novak and Snowbirds couldn't be in the picture for us either this year - simple as that.

And that takes us to the here and now - still no sign of a first quality tire from Take Off in the near future, their OEMs are still in production, and Schumacher USA will soon once again be providing a new top quality premount to shops, club races, state series, major national races and individual racers around the country at a great price.

That's the boring old truth folks, and I appologize if it takes the mystery and excitement out of what could have been a really entertaining thread!

One last thing:
Don't ask about the new brand, because I'm not giving. Watch for the press release coming mid month.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled RCTech drama...
Old 01-31-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The plan was a smooth transition and introduction of the new product with little or no talk about "why". Unfortunately that couldn't happen, and I felt some real truth about the matter might ease the chatter and rumor mill a bit.
I find this part to be deceptive.

Edit: Too strongly worded, sorry Shawn.

Last edited by syndr0me; 01-31-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Are you kidding me ? Shawn comes on here and lays it all out....

Just becuase the info was not released general public, does not mean it was deception. Thats just RICH....
Old 01-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

How is that active deception? They are a business trying to keep on top of their distribution supplies, whomever may be supplying them with whatever product.

TakeOff dropped production of the supply of tires to the U.S. distributors, ignored correspondence and covered their own ass. Schumacher USA saw this and looked for an alternative product that worked as well or better for the same price.

In the meantime, the existing supply of the old products deteriorated faster than expected, and mayhem and panic ensues when the internet drones spread rumors and innuendo.

We're still going to have spec tires for rubber tire racing, whomever has their labels on them. I don't particularly care.

Tires are tires, and if the new spec/control/one-size-fits-all rubber tire works well, lasts a decent amount of time, doesn't cost a fortune and is relatively easy to find, I think a majority of us racers would be thrilled—regardless of what brand they are.

Too much drama.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The only part I have a problem with is what was quoted. I appreciate Shawn telling the whole story. I do not get warm fuzzy feelings about the desire to replace a beloved tire like the CS27 with some other tire while trying to avoid explaining why.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

LOL, OK I'll bite: What do you think I'm actively trying to deceive anyone about?

I'm on a public forum using my real name and job title with everything to loose (including my job) and nothing to gain here.

Schumacher USA and Take Off had an awesome relationship for many years. I'd much rather have had things stay status quo forever, but it wasn't to be. If we hadn't found a quality replacement we would have been seriously screwed. Control tires are an important part of our business and racer support, and to be completely honest - we were rediculously lucky to find a drop-in replacement as quickly as we did.

If I wanted to deceive anyone (and put my career and reputation in jeapardy) I don't think I'd be doing it right out in the open for everyone to see and comment on. We've been informing our dealers and tracks of the situation for some time now privately, and they've been getting the same truth that everyone here now has.

Last edited by Shawn Palmer; 01-31-2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: harshness to syndrome removed
Old 01-31-2008, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The way I read it was that they were trying to keep hushed the reasons why Take Off screwed over all of the U.S. spec racers to keep their own OEM product line safe. Sounds to me like they wanted a seamless transition without blasting anyone else's business model in the process.

I think some of us hang on to some products with white knuckles and clinched teeth sometimes a bit too much.

They're just tires.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

wait a second. Let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.