Like Tree678Likes

FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:50 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Totarx
leadfootedfool : you get a little wheel spin for sure. For me it was just like driving a big M-chassis M05 or M03. Great fun, but it will surly take some tweaking before i am able to keep up with the 4wd cars. Also when i get to use a more stable body shell on it, i will get a more "feeling" for the car. I just borrowed one body shell and slapped it on to be able to run the car

my impression is this : I have a feeling that i will be able to keep up with the 4wd guys on the track. We do not have a own FF class, and i do not see this happening either. However since fwd cars are classed as a 4wd car it is really just up to us driving it how much pain we want to put our self through I must say that i enjoy setting up a car as much a s racing and building one. Its all part of the hobby. The drive ratio from what we tried to figure out on the club last night seem to be very very close to X-rays drive ratio, + - 0.10. Today i will try to figure out some setup for the FWD car. Do you guys have any god tips when it comes to shocks? shock oil ? diff oil ? do we sue the same chamber as 4wd cars ? I tested 1.5 in the front, and 2 in the rear. Seemed to work fine, but i would like to learn.

The car right out of the box and just slapped on electronics and just did a quick setup was around 1 second slower then the average 4wd touring cars on my club. But i have great believe that i will be able to clue this gap. Sorry for this long post.
I have being running the Front wheel drive for five years plus..Running against the 4wd fast guy is hard to beat.. even 1:1 scale car 4wd TC is always faster than two wheel drive around the track
Maybe the slower motor ,you may have a chance to match their laps time
Old 05-22-2015, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Does being much lighter help the FWD cars or do you have to run the same weight?
Old 05-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

I am looking at a FWD because I wanted something that when I put a Tamiya Golf body on it will drive like a big mini. You know something a little challenging and fun to race.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:33 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by patorz31
Does being much lighter help the FWD cars or do you have to run the same weight?
my 2wd was 1200gm and even being lighter car, yes the 2wd is faster in the straight line or sweeper
but the switch back turn is very hard to beat the 4wd..
Racing against the 4wd ,you have to stay ahead and try not to tap in the back end of your 2wd.. it will spin out....that's why I added weight in the back end of my 2wd to keep the rear end stable .
Old 05-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Here in Norway a 2wd touring car is classified as a 4wd touring car. The lower weight limit is 1350 grams.

Today at the practice i managed to get the car really going well. BUT….. the front belt completely got stripped…. I am now ordering the "upgraded" version of this belt. Little sad i don't have one extra right away, but hey, who knew this would happen so easy. So for those of you wanting to test this car out, order one extra belt right away

Other then that the car seems really good. Just need some more speed on it.

Any advice on what viscosity one should use in the front diff ?
Old 05-23-2015, 11:08 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Here in Norway a 2wd touring car is classified as a 4wd touring car. The lower weight limit is 1350 grams.

Today at the practice i managed to get the car really going well. BUT….. the front belt completely got stripped…. I am now ordering the "upgraded" version of this belt. Little sad i don't have one extra right away, but hey, who knew this would happen so easy. So for those of you wanting to test this car out, order one extra belt right away

Belt stripped the suck...
Old 05-23-2015, 10:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Diff Oil

I use Tamiya 1Million, no leaks!
Old 05-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Starting an FF2014 build!!

Old 05-24-2015, 05:35 PM
Tech Initiate

OVA : yeah big time, can't believe it happened. AFter looking closer, i see that the line where the belt goes into the front part of the gear really is not that shallow, so the belt does not go very deep into the belt track. I ordered the upgraded version of it, and hope within one week i will see if it is better or not The moment i can post some picture and video easy on the forums i will do so ( Sorry for my poor english, but some of the words i simply do not know how to explain )

benTC5 : Thank you very much, i will try then 1 million in the diff I appreciate the tips. I am determined to try as good as i can to compete against the 4wd are in the club. In what we call modified class in Norway 13.5 and below i am not sure i will be able to compete, but in that class i compete in, 13.5 stock blinky mode, i hope i will be able to compete time will show if the car will live up to the challenge

macscac : Congratulation, really can't wait to follow your build and your imprecation. I am so curious on how it feel and how it will handle. Also if you see any weaknesses on the kit Write as much as you can.If it is good, i might also try this kit What sort of setup are you planing to drive it with ? Motor wise ? Good luck on your build and enjoy it.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was wondering if any of you guys might have a Tamiya FF03 Evo for sale? I posted over in the wtb and FF03 thread but no luck so far.

Macs- if I can't find a tamiya, I'll be picking up one of those Sakuras next month, keep us in the loop on how the build goes!
Old 05-25-2015, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Well ordered my MTS FF Pro and a bunch of parts. I hope it looks as good as Totrax's did in his video. For those interested Andy their sales rep, told me they have a 4wd car coming to.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

**edit

This FF2014 is a surprisingly fun kit to build!

Last edited by macscac; 05-25-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:51 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Looking for FF04 EVO.. Please PM Thanks
Old 05-26-2015, 12:49 AM
Tech Regular

Old 05-26-2015, 12:41 PM
Tech Initiate

patorz31 : Thats great can't wit to hear your thoughts on it. I am still very happy with it. Now i am just waiting for the front belt, so i can take it to the tracks again Talked to the guys at MTS, and they did point out that if you are running it with 13.5T then one needs to tighten the front belt. This did not even strife my mind, i was to eager to test it hehe
I asked them what viscosity they recommended in an email, and also what FDR. Il post part of the response i got :
"in general, we use 2.5 million viscosity for front gear diff, it should
be the best viscosity we find. for FDR, we use 6.3 in medium track and
with 13.5t & run with turbo mode. for spur gear, in general, we use 84
or 86 teeth instead of 72teeth especially using in small track with
more torque come out quickly."

macscac : The car looks sweet. In the kit does it come with extra gear to set different FDR ? What are you planing to run it with ? Would be very nice if you could take a video of it on the track when its ready
How exactly does the battery system works ? Do you wiggle it in, or do one have to use tape to keep it in place ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.