Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree678Likes

FWD TOURING CAR FORUM - Tamiya FF01, FF02, Yokomo YRF-2, Kyosho Mantis FF

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

That is what I am putting in mine when it comes. We are running a new CTA/USGT/Scale Spec class. 21.5 VTA or USGT tires scale bodies only. 1450g for the 4wd; FWD has no minimum weight. I really hope it takes off and more people get into FWD.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:43 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patorz31
That is what I am putting in mine when it comes. We are running a new CTA/USGT/Scale Spec class. 21.5 VTA or USGT tires scale bodies only. 1450g for the 4wd; FWD has no minimum weight. I really hope it takes off and more people get into FWD.
2wd will be faster in the straight line or coming out the sweeper..coming out of the corner the 4wd is quicker... I heard the Canadian racer over west coast is thinking about starting up a new 2wd class of their own..
Old 05-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OVA
2wd will be faster in the straight line or coming out the sweeper..coming out of the corner the 4wd is quicker... I heard the Canadian racer over west coast is thinking about starting up a new 2wd class of their own..
I would love that, just something different then the norm. I have been told with the right weight differential between 4wd and fwd, the FF cars can compete. Really I am not an Top of the A competitor any more, old age is catching up with me, I just want something different to play with.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
2wd will be faster in the straight line or coming out the sweeper..coming out of the corner the 4wd is quicker...
So far for me the main disadvantages I am having is a)off the start line where the 4WD's just zip away and I either have to be a more careful with the throttle or just devolve into wheel spin; and b) I have to run the same weight as the 4WD cars here but its only 1380g.

I am also finding the FWD changes direction so much better than any 4WD car I've owned.

Originally Posted by patorz31
Really I am not an Top of the A competitor any more, old age is catching up with me, I just want something different to play with.
+1
Old 05-20-2015, 03:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by leadfootedfool
The 2014 or 15? I've got the 14 in my cart at hobbymart, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I bought the 2014 model. Found seller in states. Received yesterday. Plan is to get it assembled over Memorial Day weekend.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Totarx
As promised. I got the car today. But i made a small video to show how it looks
www youtube.com/watch?v=1pIGNc5cJMI
Looks like the front body mounts are on the front shock mount - is that correct?
Old 05-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Tech Initiate

ShadowAU iam not quite sure what you mean sorry.

As promised i went to the club today and tested the car for the very first time. I did not have the FDR quite figured out yet. I am sure i will get closer and closer
I appologize for the strange filming, and i hope it will at least give a impression how the car is.
I am driving it here with the Hobbywing ESC 3.1. 13.5 turn Hobbywing motor.
I am using for this video, 78/48 - 31.
In the first clip i drive solo around the track. In the second and third clip i "race" against a X-ray T4-14 to give a small idea how the car is.
I will try to take some more film ( and better quality ) this weekend
If there is something you want me to film, or take picture of, please let me know and i will try to do it.

( i completely forgot to weight the chassis plate alone. SOrry )

www youtube.com/watch?v=KnM0_Ma5OLc
Old 05-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

I am trying to work out where the front body posts mount - from your initial video it appears they mount on the front shock tower

Also couldn't get that link to work
Old 05-21-2015, 03:43 PM
Tech Initiate

ShadowAU, i think i know what you mean now. YEs the body mounts are on the "back" of the shock mount

Just add one period after the www
I can't post links here yet. There are some forums rules that do not allow me to post links
Old 05-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Looks good can't wait to get mine. Cones out of the corners harder then I thought it would.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

ShadowAU, i think i know what you mean now. YEs the body mounts are on the "back" of the shock mount

Just add one period after the www
I can't post links here yet. There are some forums rules that do not allow me to post links
I got it to work eventually
Old 05-21-2015, 04:52 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShadowAu
So far for me the main disadvantages I am having is a)off the start line where the 4WD's just zip away and I either have to be a more careful with the throttle or just devolve into wheel spin; and b) I have to run the same weight as the 4WD cars here but its only 1380g.

I am also finding the FWD changes direction so much better than any 4WD car I've owned.

+1
Are you racing outdoor or indoor?
head up start I agreed 4wd is quicker than 2wd....Back in the days
ROAR used to have two drive classes...it was fun day for me
I had the Yokomo YRF-2
Old 05-21-2015, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OVA
Are you racing outdoor or indoor?
head up start I agreed 4wd is quicker than 2wd....Back in the days
ROAR used to have two drive classes...it was fun day for me
I had the Yokomo YRF-2
Outdoors

at the moment I am only using an FF02 as a toe in the water but its doing surprisingly well. Back in the day I had a seriously modified TA02-FF (or FF01 as people like to call them these days) and it was massively faster than anything 4WD then
Old 05-21-2015, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As promised i went to the club today and tested the car for the very first time. I did not have the FDR quite figured out yet. I am sure i will get closer and closer
I appologize for the strange filming, and i hope it will at least give a impression how the car is.
I am driving it here with the Hobbywing ESC 3.1. 13.5 turn Hobbywing motor.
I am using for this video, 78/48 - 31.
In the first clip i drive solo around the track. In the second and third clip i "race" against a X-ray T4-14 to give a small idea how the car is.
I will try to take some more film ( and better quality ) this weekend
If there is something you want me to film, or take picture of, please let me know and i will try to do it.

( i completely forgot to weight the chassis plate alone. SOrry )

Car looks really quick, is that wheelspin coming out of the corners or the diff?
Old 05-22-2015, 07:10 AM
Tech Initiate

leadfootedfool : you get a little wheel spin for sure. For me it was just like driving a big M-chassis M05 or M03. Great fun, but it will surly take some tweaking before i am able to keep up with the 4wd cars. Also when i get to use a more stable body shell on it, i will get a more "feeling" for the car. I just borrowed one body shell and slapped it on to be able to run the car

my impression is this : I have a feeling that i will be able to keep up with the 4wd guys on the track. We do not have a own FF class, and i do not see this happening either. However since fwd cars are classed as a 4wd car it is really just up to us driving it how much pain we want to put our self through I must say that i enjoy setting up a car as much a s racing and building one. Its all part of the hobby. The drive ratio from what we tried to figure out on the club last night seem to be very very close to X-rays drive ratio, + - 0.10. Today i will try to figure out some setup for the FWD car. Do you guys have any god tips when it comes to shocks? shock oil ? diff oil ? do we sue the same chamber as 4wd cars ? I tested 1.5 in the front, and 2 in the rear. Seemed to work fine, but i would like to learn.

The car right out of the box and just slapped on electronics and just did a quick setup was around 1 second slower then the average 4wd touring cars on my club. But i have great believe that i will be able to clue this gap. Sorry for this long post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.