Wiki Posts
Search

Pro10 Class

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 02:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I emailed Associated about possibly re-releasing the L3T so we will see what happens with that one
Good luck with that.. Look how long 4wheel buggy took..
Old 01-30-2008, 02:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Why did the pan car class die at the Minregg Nationals back in 2000. The mod class was to fast for 99% of the drivers. There were 6 entries and the class was dropped.Yes you want to go fast but 4 cell is the way to go. Look at oval it died and came back with 4 cell.
If I wanted to copy a TC car with rubber tires I'd continue racing touring car.Since most of you don't remember there were 2 different rear wheel widths 1 1/2" and a 2". That also made a difference with the cars.
It's funny that the people offering all these suggestion before they have even gotten the car on the track or have even raced them before.When 1/10th pan cars were still raced look at what we were using and what people could not handle- Motors- Batteries. Now some of ya'll want 10.5 with 6 cells?
Don't kill it before it gets started!
Old 01-30-2008, 03:28 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rx7ttlm
well the main problem with pan cars like this. You need a really smooth track.. and setting it up with no tweek isn't as easy as a TC. I remember back when pro 10 was run.. it wasn't a very beginner friendly class.. I am just glad I get tires cheap lmao..
I used to race a RC10L and L2 on parking lots for a few years before sedans existed. I never had a problem with bumps. In Florida we run 1/12th in parking lots.

You can adjust ride height and soften the suspension to handle anything even with a t-bar car.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:09 AM
Tech Champion

Your correct- the series and the many many clubs in florida raced 1/10th-1/12th in the Parking lots.Traction was 100% sugar water in the series and our local club. We also race Formula 1's. I almost forgot the many many on-road nationals we raced in parking lots all around the country.The first 1/10th on-road nationals in Tulsa Ok in the parking lot during an Oral Roberts convention at the same hotel,( Penta Hotel Orlando: state race- Regional and a National) Holiday Inn in Sebring was the first state race every year,Winn Dixie parking lot in Pinellas park - Ask Scarecrow as he was the race director.TY Park in Miami, Various shopping centers in jacksonville and a Sam's. So Please don't tell me or the many others that raced that you can't race on a parking lot. The only Hotel Parking lot with only one tire that worked and only Associated had the tire was in Dallas Texas(1990- that was the only place it worked).
Old 01-30-2008, 04:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
I used to race a RC10L and L2 on parking lots for a few years before sedans existed. I never had a problem with bumps. In Florida we run 1/12th in parking lots.

You can adjust ride height and soften the suspension to handle anything even with a t-bar car.
We do it to. Point being, bunch of tracks/ parking lot groups aren't attracted to that.. we have some tracks that I run 1/12th scale oval on that you pretty much use brand new tires(new jaco old style uncut) with the 3mm axle adapters because otherwise you bottom out 40 times a lap.

The atractive part about a tc is that you can run them in more places. I personally don't run 1/12th scale at a couple tracks just because of that..Also you haven't see the parking lots around here lol.. even one of the local tracks you shred chassis on lol
Old 01-30-2008, 05:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Somebody oughta get Dawn Sanchez to roll through this discussion. Itd be nice to get the new President of ROAR to see that there is definitive interest in a 10th pan class again.

Also, I know that ROAR actually had a GT body on its approved list (Callaway C7 I believe) so I dont see why they would not allow 10th pan to be a 4 cell GT class. Although I would not have a problem if it was a GTP class
Old 01-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rx7ttlm
We do it to. Point being, bunch of tracks/ parking lot groups aren't attracted to that.. we have some tracks that I run 1/12th scale oval on that you pretty much use brand new tires(new jaco old style uncut) with the 3mm axle adapters because otherwise you bottom out 40 times a lap.

The atractive part about a tc is that you can run them in more places. I personally don't run 1/12th scale at a couple tracks just because of that..Also you haven't see the parking lots around here lol.. even one of the local tracks you shred chassis on lol
We run double pinks on asphalt all the way around and if I start my Jaco Prisms
out of the box (1.80F and 1.90R) they will last 3 weekends of 19T 4 cell 8 min races (2 quals, single main) before that get small then they are perfect for carpet.

If you are burning up tires that fast you need to prep and sugar water the track better or work on your setup.

The permanent track at Strickland, FL has the worst tire wear in the state and it you can still complete a 2 day state race with one set.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default 1/10th pan cars

hey all:Wow it's very exiting to see this class making a comeback i would hope it will become as popular as it was in the 80's and early 90's but that might be a lot to ask.Finally i agree that the number of classes for these cars shouldn't get out of hand like 4wd sedans have,but i do think you need to seperate the non-sponsored drivers/slower cars from the factory sponsored/faster cars.Myabe do this one class stock either 27t brushed or 17.5 brushless and one class mod. brushed 19t or brushless 10.5.Just my thoughts and thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b-man777
hey all:Wow it's very exiting to see this class making a comeback i would hope it will become as popular as it was in the 80's and early 90's but that might be a lot to ask.Finally i agree that the number of classes for these cars shouldn't get out of hand like 4wd sedans have,but i do think you need to seperate the non-sponsored drivers/slower cars from the factory sponsored/faster cars.Myabe do this one class stock either 27t brushed or 17.5 brushless and one class mod. brushed 19t or brushless 10.5.Just my thoughts and thanks
In my experience running 200mm on-road pan cars and 235mm wide pan cars on road courses, here's what I think should be done, based on running AE and CRC 1/10 pan cars for almost a whole year, using today's BL systems and Lipo batteries, and not brushed motors and niCad packs of 10yrs ago:

Mod: 10.5BL with 7.4 Lipo or 6 cell. This combo is a bit faster than 4.5BL TC Lap time wise, but down the straight is more like a 6.5BL, which is not that fast and easy to handle and control. For this reason I think that 10.5BL and 7.4V Lipo should be the "mod" class. Plus, 7.4V Lipo is so popular now, that most people have them and those that use them will want to keep them and they can easily be used in the Pan Car as well. Those running 6 cell nimh TC's can also use their cells on the Pan cars...going to 4 cell leaves will make the Lipo guys have to spend money of the "antiquated" 4 cell nimh packs, and equipment to babysit them, which is a step backwards, for those using Lipo in TC and other applications. TC racers using 6 cell nimhs will have to either buy new packs 4 cell nimh for their pan car or dissasemble what they have and make a few 4 cell packs.

Slower classes can be in order of fastest to slowest:

10.5BL w/ 4 cell nimh
13.5BL w/ 6 cell or 7.4v Lipo
13.5BL w/ 4 cell
17.5BL w/ 6 cell or 7.4v Lipo
17.5BL w/ 4 cell
Old 01-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Unregistered
If we do go back to 10th pancars, the bodies MUST be realistic looking. The Porsche body that Dale made is pretty sweet and would be great. Same thing for a body like the Tamiya. If it goes the way that the 12th bodies are currently (all ugly) then I think we'll have problems.

I don't like the idea of forcing the bodies to be licenced but they should look like an actual current style prototype (ALMS, ACO, etc). I think that all of the bodies should have a proper wing.
Yes they should. We'll be running our classes with GT/GTP style bodies only. leave the TC bodies for that class.

I hope Dale from Protoform is listening really gives this a shot. You can start with a 2-3 really nice GTP/GT ProtoType bodies and it will take off...

We need bodies!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

If you want good ideas for GT and Super GT bodies. check out this website:

Racing Sports Cars Photo Archive You can check out the FIA GT pictures and the National GT pictures

Here are the websites for a few GT championships:

FIA GT Championship

British GT Championship

BELCAR Belgian GT Championship

ADAC GT Masters Championship

Last edited by trackdesigner71; 01-30-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Addict

Default DP/GTP/LMP and GT1 bodies

yyhayyim;
Oh - you bet I 'm listening. I've been dreaming of these classes for a very long time but there was just no way to justify the time, effort and expence in producing molds. (from a business point of view) It now seems like the time is right.

Dale - Protoform

ps: gotta remember however - molds take a bit of time to do - and I'm not much of a "speedball" either - so be patient. I assure you - it'll be worth a bit of a wait.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

I'll mention thisas we did do this at a nationals in Florida (Naples) in the late 1990's. The Mod drivers all drove GTP style bodies and the stock(no 19t at the time) drove Mustangs and Camaros. Nowif the body guys make bodies for use to use GTP/Lemans would be mods and 19t(10.5's) and GT's for stock.As for the batteries I'm sure the battery companies that make lipos will make something for 4 cells very soon. If not we can use sub c- it's no big deal.Going 6 cells is way to fast .The ones talking about the straightaway speed sounds like the new people that show up to a race and want to know how fast do they go. I don't care as long as I've got the speed in the corners!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Some ideas for GT bodies (that have not been produced)

Maserati MC12
Ferrari 550 Maranello (or F430)
Aston Martin DBR9
Lister Storm
Mosler MT900R
Porsche 997 GT3
Old 01-30-2008, 11:31 AM

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I really love it that you guys are trying to get the Pro10 clas going again.

I started a racing series in my area -Netherlands and western part of Germany- to help the clas going again: the RC Le-Mans racing series.
http://www.rclemans.tk/
We are now going for our 3rd year.
The basis of our class is just having fun in racing at insane speeds in a competitive way with a minimum of rules and low running costs.
(How many people can say thay have overtaken an 1/8th scale nitro on the the straight?)

We usually have around 20 starters and growing. Till now pretty much all drivers ran 6 cell modified wide pancars.
We have seen a large variety of chassis though.
The pictures on our site speak for themselves.

The reason we can easily run 6 cell modified (and now Lipo modified) is that we run on 1/8th scale nitro outdoor tracks.

We have tested with some narrow cars, but we always came back to wide cars.
The reasons is that a wide car is simply more stable, therefore more confidence inspiring and fun to drive.
However, on small 12th scale tracks I definitely see the advantage of running narrow cars.
I tried a narrow car on some indoor carpet tracks and it was superb!
I used a Serpent Lola body with 6 3700 cells and a mildly geared and moderately timed 12 turn motor.
The car was incredibly easy to drive and ridiculously fast. I had no problem at all overtaking factory sponsored modified sedan racers!

For outdoor asphalt a wide car is in my visoin the best way to go. The cars are just easier to drive when wide.
Maybe you can include an open class (gtp bodies and wide cars) if Pro10 racing picks up again.
If you have a narrow car, it can be converted to a wide car with little effort!

Oh and if you need to choose tires, go for GRP magenta rear and purple front- all you'll ever need, both for carpet as or asphalt. Low wear, low drag and plenty of traction.
It was the tire combo of choice for 25 out of 29 drivers on the german nats 2007.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.