Search

ROAR Approves LIPO

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOSI BOY-MF2
Sorry MAH.
I dont believe it specifies but it keeps using 5000mah as an example (like for the liposack).
Old 01-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Dosen't mention a Mah limit, but size dimensions will limit capicity on its own.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:22 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Old 01-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Lipo Sack rule is interesting.... and contradicts the idea that these are safe enough to legalize. You can't legislate common sense or care and usage by the racers at their pit table. I think having a lipo sack type thing in your pit area is a good idea... requiring them to be used during charging is going way overboard.

One of the great things about racing with lipos is not having to take the battery out of the car all day.

Allowing lipos = awesome. Overboard rulebook= not so good.

Still... thanks to ROAR for joining the revolution.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

EDIT - computer lag
Old 01-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
The Lipo Sack rule is interesting.... and contradicts the idea that these are safe enough to legalize. You can't legislate common sense or care and usage by the racers at their pit table. I think having a lipo sack type thing in your pit area is a good idea... requiring them to be used during charging is going way overboard.

One of the great things about racing with lipos is not having to take the battery out of the car all day.

Allowing lipos = awesome. Overboard rulebook= not so good.

Still... thanks to ROAR for joining the revolution.
Buy a LARGE liposack and just shove the entire car in there.... Actually, it will only matter at major races. On the club level we'll just leave them in our cars as always.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I disagree, Glass.... While these are safe when done correctly, it's only a matter of time before racers push the envelope and try over charging them. In today's sue-happy world, I can't blame anyone for trying to be overly safe.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:32 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Very nice work here.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It will be curious to see if the lipo sack rule is enforced at races and what the penalty is for not following the rule.

We have a similar rule at our track. I followed it for the first week and no one else did. So I just stopped using them out of convenience.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm kinda dissapointed I'll have to buy another accessory to race with lipo's, getting to be almost as much equipment and work as NiMH
Old 01-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You guys did this right. Those are tough rules for many of the LiPo providers, but they're absolutely necessary for safety and quality racing. The rules basically insist that quality cells are used, which is how it should be. Congratulations to everybody involved for getting this done, and doing it unquestionably in the right manner, with safety first. This is truly a proud moment for ROAR, and an exciting future for its racers.

I truly hope that even non-ROAR tracks adopt these LiPo rules, and don't allow people to just run whatever. Dangerous, cheap batteries should have no place in the hobby, especially not at indoor tracks or inside racer's homes.

The use of a charging bunker, while inconvenient, is something that should spread to all batteries. The stories of NiMH explosions are starting to contain stories about people getting hit with battery shrapnel. We can only get lucky for so long with this, especially for guys that like to charge their batteries on a stand, near eye-level.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Great News Dawn. Thanks for the quick update, I'm sure we all can appreciate that!

"The battery pack shall not display rapid disassembly"....talk about P.C. ! in other words the Lipo better not blow the effin pits up!

BTW- buy your Lipo sacks now before the price jumps!
Old 01-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Considering you should be charging the latest NiMH cells in an armored safe, what's the diff with using a Lipo Sack-type thing?
Old 01-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

IMHO,

ROAR worked hard to get the right consultants in place for both the LiPo and BL rulesets. Rest assured most of the major industry players had input and feedback on the two new addtions.

Some of the first drafts were more restrictive, and through discussion were adjusted accordingly.

Originally Posted by syndr0me
You guys did this right. Those are tough rules for many of the LiPo providers, but they're absolutely necessary for safety and quality racing. The rules basically insist that quality cells are used, which is how it should be. Congratulations to everybody involved for getting this done, and doing it unquestionably in the right manner, with safety first. This is truly a proud moment for ROAR, and an exciting future for its racers.

I truly hope that even non-ROAR tracks adopt these LiPo rules, and don't allow people to just run whatever. Dangerous, cheap batteries should have no place in the hobby, especially not at indoor tracks or inside racer's homes.

The use of a charging bunker, while inconvenient, is something that should spread to all batteries. The stories of NiMH explosions are starting to contain stories about people getting hit with battery shrapnel. We can only get lucky for so long with this, especially for guys that like to charge their batteries on a stand, near eye-level.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can't believe all the complains over a lipo sack. It's a safety issue that probably won't be needed but if something ever happens you will be glad to have done the safety precautions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.