Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi.
Two things to try to stop your grip rolling is to turn your steering down to the bare minimum if you are able to or apply SuperGlue to the wall and outside tread of the front tyres.

I have ran medium and soft compound tryes on carpet with very little noticable difference.

Also I would say only apply additive to the inside half of the front tyres, but I haven't had much need to use that myself yet .
Old 01-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_h_d
and I was using tire dope.
There's half your problem.... Never, EVER use it on a Mini. It gives you too much grip initially (masking any inherent problems) and then wears off creating a whole new set of problems!

You need to get your car to work WITHOUT it..so that it's consistent throughout the race.

Oh and seeing as how you're running 60D tyres you will need to drop the car a little lower than our settings on the webpage.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Here are pictures of my ride height. Front measured at 7mm and rear 6mm. That is with a weight that is not heavy enough. I need to add probably 150-200g to get it up to 1300g. Will adding that weight lower the ride height?

If not what else can I do lower the ride height?

I have also remounted my electronics to be inside the frame and lower the CG. I will relocate my transpoder location as well.

Thanks,
Kenny
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-img_0054-large-.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-img_0053-large-.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-img_0055-large-.jpg  
Old 01-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Initiate

In regards to tire Dope. I did it from recommendation of all the local drivers. I had many practice laps without it and traction was not to great and I could spin the rear around pretty easily. I then put a light coat on and it helped a ton. I think that part of my problem was possibly as the night went on the track had more tire dope laid down on it from all the drivers and I got more traction as it went on.

One thing I am confused about... Why would too much traction be a problem. It would seem to me that if you got no slipage at all then proper driving technique would keep it from rolling. However I can also imagine that without any slipping that pushing the edge is a lot more difficult with a thinner margin for error...
Old 01-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Another question. Where should I add weight? I am running a 2400 lipo. Should I add the weight as low as I can on the chasis but placed so that the car balanced around the center front to back and left to right?
Old 01-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Weight wise think logically.
The car was designed to run with heavy Nicads and now we are using Lipos.
It makes sense the place all the lead in the area that has now all of a sudden become light.... the battery slot.

I have made mine back up to just over 1300g's by sticking wheel weights all around this area and also onto the bottom side of the battery itself to keep the centre of gravity nice and low.

Ride height is something I am stuck with. As my club is primarily for touring cars it endorses a minimum of 5mm but we are really coming to grips with this chassis quite well.
My car at present has 6mm rear and 5mm front and I'm also using the 60d wheels and tyres like yourself.
The only other thing I have is alloy shocks with 30wt oil.

One thing I must say is how much more I have to concentrate with the mini, opposed to my Tourer.
The Mini needs to be driven; the Tourer you just hang on. The good thing is though I am now driving better as a whole due to the Mini; and having a blast with it

The Minis were only introduced to boost the numbers at our club in October but the time will come when my tourer goes and the Mini has pride of place.
They are just so much more fun.

We run our finals with a reverse grid and another local club run their finals in completely the opposite direction !
The car is just made to have slightly different rules to the norm

Last edited by shawnh; 01-03-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

dude theres a whole section on the rcmini site about where to put weight here havent you read that?

1300 grams is really light and thats probably the main reason your car is tipping over
Old 01-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Found it, thanks for the reminder. Reading now.

With respect to ride height... Will getting my weight somewhere between 1300 and 1400g bring my ride height down or are there adjustments that need to be made? I built the Super Mini Shocks with the 5mm spacer as recommended on rc-mini.net. Are there other adjustments to bring the height down?

Kenny

Last edited by k_h_d; 01-03-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_h_d
Found it, thanks for the reminder. Reading now.

With respect to ride height... Will getting my weight somewhere between 1300 and 1400g bring my ride height down or are there adjustments that need to be made? I built the Super Mini Shocks with the 5mm spacer as recommended on rc-mini.net. Are there other adjustments to bring the height down?

Kenny
Without reading the last few posts......are you running on carpet or ashpalt??? I can see quite a bit of the shock shaft in your pics.....our track is really smooth so we can get away with it......we internaly shorten the shaft travel so you can only squeeze the spring retainer on the shaft....we also use the Tamiya short springs.....then add a ride height spacer to put our ride height at around 3mm......another thing is how much toe out....neutral...toe in....is there in the front end??? Of course.....if your radio has steering dual rate....turn it waaaaay down....in practice to a point where you find it difficult to navigate the track....then increase a touch at a time until you find the sweet spot!!!

Hope any of this helps(JMO)....

Roy
Old 01-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Initiate

The surface is carpet and smooth. So you put more than just the one spacer?

Here is a picture from rc-mini.net which shows the spacer I used. If after I add about 200g and my ride height is still not any lower then I will think about more spacers.

My toe is pretty neurtral.

Kenny
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-build10.jpg  
Old 01-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

We always use tire additive on carpet. It's pretty much a requirement on carpet. Just make sure to glue the sidewalls all the way up on the front tires and only sauce the inner 1/2 of the front tires and the whole rear.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Kenny,

you need to go and do some things to your car and try things, one at a time... Asking loads and loads of questions right now is just going to confuse the hell out of you. Because everyone has their own opinions and more importantly, we don't really know the track and/or surface that you run on, or your driving style. Because what works for me, or for Charlie, or for someone else, might not work for you.

Get down to the track and practice. Fix the weight issue first, try it, and then slowly start doing other things...always one at a time. It's all part of running Mini..
Old 01-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah, your right... I will get some track time with it after I fix the weight issue and see how it goes. Its setup stock as you recommend on rc-mini.net so I am betting my issues are with the light weight.

Thanks,
Kenny
Old 01-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
Kenny,

you need to go and do some things to your car and try things, one at a time... Asking loads and loads of questions right now is just going to confuse the hell out of you. Because everyone has their own opinions and more importantly, we don't really know the track and/or surface that you run on, or your driving style. Because what works for me, or for Charlie, or for someone else, might not work for you.

Get down to the track and practice. Fix the weight issue first, try it, and then slowly start doing other things...always one at a time. It's all part of running Mini..
Above all, heed the rc-mini creed and try their suggestions for initial setup before getting down to the minute details.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tony, you are probably not going to be pleased but yesterday just for the hell of it I put the chassis spacer back on and ran the car with the Swift body. Well, let's just say now I know why 90% of the racers in the M03 Class run the Swifts! Don't worry, the car is going back to a Mini, but it sure would be nice if someone would mold a slightly stretched Mini body. It's amazing what that little increase in wheelbase does to the handling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.