Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
This is another one of those "things" that sounds as if it would be a good idea. In practice though, it may not make enough of a difference to be noticeable. I tend to question things and don't necessarily go with the conventional wisdom or what seems to be intuitively correct.

In order to test this, I took a bunch of tires and wheels, mounted them on one of the rear axles of a Mini, then spun it up using a blast of air. This test was done several years ago, but can tell you that not one sample exhibited enough vibration to warrant balancing.

Another thing to consider is that inserts tend to shift inside the tire. So, if you get it perfectly balanced, run it, it will be out of balance and need to be done again.

Now to those who do balance their tires and believe it's a good idea, I'm not saying it's not. I believe that it doesn't make enough of a difference to be noticed by a vast majority of Mini racers.

Thanks for the insight , thought maybe some other guys would have had some thoughts on this besides you. From what we have been seeing at the tracks and from my drivers r&d (yutubes searches) it seems like it is more of an off road thing than an on road. Big thing we didn't know was that the inserts can and do shift around, which kind of makes sense since they are basically just stuck in there with glue! So we learned something thanks Granpa!
Mike
Old 03-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Had another race and tune day today. Only 3 minis but one of which is one that came out of quasi retirement in prep for tcs. The store manager that used to race minis regularly came out and ran. He wanted to see where this mini was having not touched it since last year's tcs race. Was great fun but he realised he had some work to do on it. I turned my fastest lap and laps period today. But still felt the car was way too unsettled in the rear end. Found some stuff that seemed to work but also seemed way out in left field.

Anyone tried widening the rear of their car? I did today as when I tried widening the front outt only seemed to make the rear break out more. So it stood to reason trying the other way around. The results were very promising.

Jason
Old 03-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (96%+)

I recently bought the battery that was recommended to me on here, which I believe is the Peak Performance pack.

I don't like how the wires come out the side and make the body bulge out. Is there a pack that fits the M03 battery tray and has battery plugs on top so the body doesn't bulge out?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S
I recently bought the battery that was recommended to me on here, which I believe is the Peak Performance pack.

I don't like how the wires come out the side and make the body bulge out. Is there a pack that fits the M03 battery tray and has battery plugs on top so the body doesn't bulge out?
Try putting some fiber tape on the end of the battery so plug sticks up, I did it and it works for me
Old 03-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

it would be nice if they could make them with just the inboard plugins. i prefer those over having all the extra wire. makes for a clean electrics installation.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

ok i would like to know what gear diff fits the mo5? tamiya has the ball diff also? i have not started assembling the car yet. gathering parts for the build. is there anyway to seal the stock diff? prolly not huh. thanks in advance.
i would like to keep it tcs legal if a could without too much hassle.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

3Racing gear diff is whats been recommended before.....
http://www.rcmart.com/3racing-m0606-...l-p-33335.html

I just run ours with a blu-tack filled diff....not quite locked but close. Sealed it with a smidge of shoe goo to keep it all in.
And it has some give in case of a bad crash.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tiago890
Try putting some fiber tape on the end of the battery so plug sticks up, I did it and it works for me
I wish there were more. The only ones I know about are the IP/ProTek twins and they're notorious for puffing if you look at them wrong.

Originally Posted by dragonracing
it would be nice if they could make them with just the inboard plugins. i prefer those over having all the extra wire. makes for a clean electrics installation.
I second that. It's a shame that stick packs are a dying market, though. Otherwise, we'd have all kinds of choice.

Originally Posted by dragonracing
ok i would like to know what gear diff fits the mo5? tamiya has the ball diff also? i have not started assembling the car yet. gathering parts for the build. is there anyway to seal the stock diff? prolly not huh. thanks in advance.
i would like to keep it tcs legal if a could without too much hassle.
There are no TCS legal (aftermarket) gear diffs. The stock gear diff can be used, but it's fairly useless, unless you tweak it to somewhere just beyond TCS legal. That said, adding a few extra internal shims in the stock diff and using a little anti-wear grease can really firm it up. The TA03 ball diff can be made to work well, but the other guys here are better at it than I am.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Has been working well for me

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...-ROAR-Approved
Old 03-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rimracker
thanks for the link. thats exactly the battery i was looking for. i dont like the extra wire coming out of the battery. its extra weight and make for an ugly install. its that little extra weight i can place in other areas.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rimracker

Thanks for the link.

I don't race, so I don't need such an expensive pack. Do you know of any similar ones that will work?
Old 03-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the link.

I don't race, so I don't need such an expensive pack. Do you know of any similar ones that will work?
Stormer hobbies has wolfpack 3000's for 19.99
Old 03-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rcjunk-yard
Stormer hobbies has wolfpack 3000's for 19.99
With plugs on the side or top? Do you have a link?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:53 AM
Tech Adept

Silvercan question...

Sorry guys, I know the answer will be on here somewhere but I hoping those in the know can answer my question for me.

I run my Mabuchi silvercan which I got with my standard M05 kit without any tricks or mods apart from soldering on 12awg wire and gold 4mm Tekin connectors.

Off the shelf, is there a silvercan that is faster than the rest? Or is it a case of buying severall and testing them?

Cheers!
Old 03-17-2014, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Originally Posted by Boons
Silvercan question...

Sorry guys, I know the answer will be on here somewhere but I hoping those in the know can answer my question for me.

I run my Mabuchi silvercan which I got with my standard M05 kit without any tricks or mods apart from soldering on 12awg wire and gold 4mm Tekin connectors.

Off the shelf, is there a silvercan that is faster than the rest? Or is it a case of buying severall and testing them?

Cheers!
Info. a plenty - 116 pages of silvercan tips and tricks

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ps-tricks.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.