Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

It's the Victorian Offroad Champs this weekend (Melbourne, Australia) and they're having a rally mini demo class.
Here's a video of my mini during testing, thanks to Tony Gray for filming:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIpOxnb5dXQ

Oh yeah, here's a video of Tony Grays Rocket mini from a few years ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEjgIDYkx_M

Enjoy!
Old 08-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Does anyone have a M04 sway bar they are willing to sell?

Looks like they have been discontinued for a long time.

JC
Old 08-02-2006, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

thanks minidriver.. found a shop that had some spare parts. I found TWO!sets of pressure plates. picked them up for cheap. Will try the rubber cement solution.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

TimK, great videos I didn't know a mini could take a double with that much air Also the rocket would have been great is it wouldn't have pulled so bad

Last edited by bizkit1; 08-04-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Interesting. Their technical people told me over five years ago that the silver chanssis was softer because of the additive necessary to turn the plastic silver, while the carbon black in the black chassis did not act as filler and resulted in a stringer, slightly denser product.
Speaking from experience as someone who works in the plastic's industry. If you call surfing RC car web sites all day work. The darker or brighter the color of plastics the stronger. When we mold the exact same part in different colors the black parts are always stronger. I really don't think there is "much" of a differences between black and silver but there is some. And with the way I drive I can break parts in any color.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bizkit1
TimK, great videos I didn't know a mini could take a double with that much air Also the rocket would have been great if it wouldn't have pulled so bad
I am the poor bunny who was trying to steer that rocket car and it just laughed at my feeble efforts. The thrust line of the rocket was less than a degree or so off but that was enough to send it off in its own direction...

Plus, it was going damn quick!
Old 08-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Tech Adept

Default GPM/Yeah Racing

Will be in Hong Kong next week. RCMart has GPM?yeah racing hop ups for M03. Like alloy arms, knuckles, graphite damper plates etc..

I will visit a few stores but was wondering if those companies(gpm/yeah) make good quality parts? Any experiences?

I know many bad things have been said about RCmart online but i will be there in person and avoid all those problems. Any other store recomendations.?

thks
Old 08-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minimanintaiwan
Will be in Hong Kong next week. RCMart has GPM?yeah racing hop ups for M03. Like alloy arms, knuckles, graphite damper plates etc..

I will visit a few stores but was wondering if those companies(gpm/yeah) make good quality parts? Any experiences?

I know many bad things have been said about RCmart online but i will be there in person and avoid all those problems. Any other store recomendations.?

thks
i've had GPM on my car in the past and i would'nt use their gear again,
their parts are heavier and the quality is'nt nearly as good as most other makers
Old 08-04-2006, 02:35 AM
Tech Elite

More importantly, ask yourself do you really NEED any of this stuff?

The answer is 'NO'

If you have anything other than an M03M then you NEED alloy front knuckles, and in which case buy the Tamiya ones. Dont bother with any other brand, just the Tamiya ones.

Graphite damper plates, alloy arms etc are a COMPLETE waste of money. If you're just doing it to make your car look cool, then fine. But if you're a racer then dont bother. They dont achieve a thing....
Old 08-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tony gray
More importantly, ask yourself do you really NEED any of this stuff?

The answer is 'NO'

If you have anything other than an M03M then you NEED alloy front knuckles, and in which case buy the Tamiya ones. Dont bother with any other brand, just the Tamiya ones.

Graphite damper plates, alloy arms etc are a COMPLETE waste of money. If you're just doing it to make your car look cool, then fine. But if you're a racer then dont bother. They dont achieve a thing....
Why do u exclude the M03M? because thats the kit i wanna get in HK. It does say it includes lightweight F/R knuckles but what is this? Can i get tamiya aluminum ones for this kit?
Old 08-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The M-03M's new lightweight knuckles are a smaller than the standard suspension ones.. they don't make aluminum ones, and I doubt they will..

In order to use aluminum knuckles on the M-03M, you'd need a few parts..

4 x 5x11mm Bearings (standard Tamiya hub bearings)
53523 - Aluminum Uprights
50736 - B-Parts Tree (has the C-hubs for uprights)
53141 - Lightweight King Pins (ones included won't fit)

Some actually do this (mainly transplanted from their old mini) for practice, then switch to the lighter ones for racing.. but even then, you're only saving a few grams..
I'd take the durability up front with the aluminum, and leave the LW ones in the back since they're 2-degree toe-in.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:29 AM
Tech Elite

The M03M uses the new design front plastic knuckles which are actually stolen from the TA04. They are quite strong enough as they come and therefore you dont really need aluminium knuckles on an M03M.
Indeed, many of us have retro-fitted M03M front end parts onto our older cars.

The rear uprights on the M03M are also a new design and are standard with 2 degree toe-in. You needed to get new ones for the other M03's to achieve the same thing.

So in that respect a lot of the work is already done for you on the M03M
Old 08-08-2006, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Tony
Are you the owner of that cooper in your avatar???
Old 08-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racenut
Tony
yes, i believe that he is, it's the rally edition!
Old 08-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by racenut
Tony
No, that one belongs to the guy in Japan who started all this rally mini insanity. http://minirally.cool.ne.jp/

I have a display one that looks very similar but my actual race rally car doesnt have all the add-ons.

Here are some pics from last weekends Mini Rally racing.. (Thanks to John Webb for the photography!)

Last edited by tony gray; 08-06-2008 at 01:06 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.