Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Somebody Make This into a 1/10 Scale Body

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Actually the guy wrote back and said it was basically a lack of interest.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Thanks for the thoughts Dale. But if the industry resists change, I'm not sure if a step from 190mm touring cars to 200mm pan cars will fly.

By the way, I have a Protoform Volvo S60 I like and get a lot of positive comments on -- I think just because it's not a Mazda or Stratus.

Nobody's forcing us to race sedans. I know they do at the big races, but for local club racing, race a Viper or a Ferrari or Corvette, etc.

I'll be racing at a regional Tamiya Championship Series race in a couple weeks and I can't wait to see all the non-sedans.

Vintage seems to be gaining popularity too - 70's Camaros, etc.

So, there is hope.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

http://www.mcallisterracing.com/racing/page4.html

Mcallister makes something similar
Old 01-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Dale that body looks sweet!

Trans Am racing has really taken off in our area and from what I've seen on this site many others...

checkout http://usvintagetransam.com/

Anyway if there could be more realistic bodies like that for 1/12th that would be awesome! You could create a class similar to Trans Am but using 1/12th cars and 'non-wedge' bodies.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Dale!

I think you have the market picked. Racers will always race. The rising cost will determine how and where they spend their cash. 200mm pan car may or may not come back, but I believe they are making a return soon due to the attarctive cost. I own two X-ray T2's with about $500 in NIP spares. I also own a Leading Edge oval pan car with about $100 in spares. Why so little in spare parts, well I don't need them!

What makes a pan car so great to work on is about 12 less bearings, no belts, only one diff, no one-ways and the parts are easy to fix. I also have a collection of 1:12 cars so the $100 in spares parts for my 1:10 pan car can be shared reducing the cost to me to race serveal classes. On top of it all 4-cell packs cost $20 less each vs. 6-cell packs.

I can race four classes using similar spare parts:
1:10 and 1:12 oval, and 1:10 and 1:12 road course

The bearings, shims, spacers, shocks, a-arms, castor blocks, axles, pods, springs, batteries are pretty much universal!

As a track owner-op I can say that the cost are scaring racers out. The track had to drop road course before I assumed the "sinking ship". I plan on returning with road course with the focus being on better racing less money. Many of the racers have 1:12 pan cars and are interested in 200mm pan car. For my birthday(June) I am going all-in and starting the road course back up. It will be 1:12 and 1:10 pan cars along with the Rolls-Royce Sedans. Dale Come around June, any chance I can field test some bodies?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

I think one thing that hurts the re resurgance of 1/10th pan 200mm class is the cost of the tires. 1/12th tires are now much more affordable, so too the TC foams but not so much the 1/10 pan tires.

Steve
Old 01-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Just thought of this also...

Dale maybe you should speak with Jason and Adrian at BMI Racing. They have been running a prototype car called the DB10R down in Florida. The car is simple, fast, fun, and heck probably way cheaper to race then any 1/10 4WD TC. Between your two companies I'm sure you guys could come up with some interesting class ideas.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Tech Addict

Joey & Nexus;
Regarding the possibility of doing realistic bodies for the 1/12th scale class - it would probably be a "stillborn" effort. I might be wrong but from what I've seen over the last 16 years the vast majority of the 1/12th scale crowd only want one thing - speed. There may be local clubs etc that like the realism aspect bit I have never heard much from them. The fact is: functional bodies $ell and realistic bodies unfortunately just don't function that well on 1/12th cars.

It's just so important that good detailed rules are written by the sanctioning bodies to try to keep a semblance of realism in the sport - but they are so reluctant to do so - it's rather perplexing for me a manufacturer. Last summer a BRCA/EFRA body official worked with Paul (@Parma), CRC (Europe), Josh (@ CEFX) and myself to work out a detailed and reasonable set of body rules for 1/12th on-road. (similar to the new Global Body Spec rules for the 190mm touring sedan class) It was a pretty nice compromise between speed and realism. The process took a few months to work through. When this new proposal was was presented (in person) at the big end-of-the-year EFRA meeting in Europe it was simply blown off as unimportant. It seems that it's just easier to simply ban bodies like the Parma Speed 8 and Pf Speed 12 from competition for being "less than a reasonable representation" of a real racecar than give use some decent black 'n' white guidelines to go by. Nice. The word they hide behind is "reasonable" - which can mean 10 different things to 10 different people.

I hear they'll try again to have these 1/12th body rules adopted in fall of 2008.

Dale - Protoform
Old 01-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Tech Addict

Sorry - internet glitch

Dale - Protoform
Old 01-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

We developed the BMI DB10R (200mm 1/10th pan car) for racers that wanted to go fast without all the fiddling necessary with overcomplicated touring cars.

We have been talking to other top 1/12th manufacturers and all I can say there will be some info you will all be excited about shortly after the Snowbirds

Corallyman - 1/12th tire prices came down a few months ago. I think the same thing can happen for 1/10th pan tires if the demand goes up and companies invest in more cost effective manufacturing.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Dale, I have the L3T, where can I get that body???

And when are you going to make some well detailed Chevelles??? I'll take a 68!!!

While I'm at it.. We need some 5th scale GT bodies? Corvette, Mustang, etc!!!

Yea, I'm asking a lot...
Old 01-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nexus
Just thought of this also...

Dale maybe you should speak with Jason and Adrian at BMI Racing. They have been running a prototype car called the DB10R down in Florida. The car is simple, fast, fun, and heck probably way cheaper to race then any 1/10 4WD TC. Between your two companies I'm sure you guys could come up with some interesting class ideas.

Darkside also has a 1/10th version of their 1/12th. I can't remember off hand though if it is designed as a 4 cell or 6 cell.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Tires?
Tires wear, and I plan for that. I dont true my tires down to the sweet spot on the first go. I start with some race ready TM-Tires and just keep adjusting the gear ratios to keep my roll out the same. My current set of tires I have over 900 laps on them, and maybe this weekend i'll place new shoes on my oval car.

Bad car setups will kill your tires and cost you speed in the corners.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

double post
Old 01-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Darkside also has a 1/10th version of their 1/12th. I can't remember off hand though if it is designed as a 4 cell or 6 cell.
That chassis, the I-Force, is designed to accept both 4 and 6 cellpacks.

-E

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.