R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-07-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Somebody Make This into a 1/10 Scale Body

Look, it already has holes for the rear body posts.
It is meant to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Somebody Make This into a 1/10 Scale Body-krohn-rear.jpg   Somebody Make This into a 1/10 Scale Body-krohn-jan-2008-testing.jpg  
Hawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk6 View Post
Look, it already has holes for the rear body posts.
It is meant to be.
I have thought the same thing...the Daytona Prototypes are getting real popular and they would make an awesome 200mm car.
genesisG4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Tech Master

I was thinking a Tamiya F103GT, or the new TA05 with the lay down front suspension, but I'd be shocked if Tamiya came out with a body from US only racing like Grand Am.

Anyway, the first thing I thought when I saw the photo was "those look like holes for the body posts". So, just thought I'd post it for grins.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

looks... interesting!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I had asked hellion to do it before he disappeared from RC Tech....
Old 01-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
Tech Elite

I think the mcallister wildcat or flying 'M' is fairly close. some decals would go a long way to make it look more like it.
and they are 190s.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Tech Master

The McAllister Wildcat has a notch behind the front wheels that throws the look off. But the "Flying M" is close.

My avatar is the Wildcat body, by the way, with a simple Racer X paint scheme.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
Tech Addict

how about 1/12th scale?

Old 01-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Lightbulb I agree completely

Hawk6;
It's too bad that the r/c racing community has not embraced the concept of "change". (hope I don't sound too much like Obama and Clinton by using their favourite new buzz-word)
Companies like Tamiya and Kyosho do a very good job of supplying hobby enthusiasts the world over with authentic realistic kits that emulate real race cars. Sadly this does not carry over into the world of organized r/c racing. The r/c sanctioning bodies have been in a rut for the last 15 years. At events staged by ROAR, EFRA, BRCA, and IFMAR etc we see cars racing that look nothing at all like the cars we see racing on SPEED TV or in racing magazines. Do they welcome change - even if it's for the ultimate good of the industry? Absolutely not - they abhore it. It means discussions, it means debates, it means coming to an agreement, it means new rules, and it means possible criticism. It's much easier to do nothing.

In a few days the first major race of 2008 will be run - the 24 Hours of Daytona. This race will feature a wide array of famous drivers, new cars and new teams. It's a pretty cool race and has been for decades. Yea, I know the Daytona Prototyes (DP's) are a little funky looking with their bulbous cockpits and awkward window shapes - but what isn't a little weird these days. When the DP's first showed up up a few years back they were rather homely looking compared to the svelte looking LeMans prototypes. Since then almost the entire 1:1 racing world (other than F1) has gone to cookie-cutter "kit" cars. Looking at the ugly NASCAR COT's, the Pinocchio-nosed IRL Dallara's, the bland looking Champcar Panoz chassis etc - all I want to do is yawn. Spec cars is all they are now. What a shame.

The DP class however has a half dozen different chassis brands, and yes they do look a bit different from each other. I like that. The sad fact remains, there are no place for DP type cars in the rc racing scene today.

The future of the r/c touring sedan is without a doubt a bit questionable at this point in time. There are many problems plaguing that class and seriously hindering its continued popularity. In my opinion the time is right to start racing r/c cars that guys can get excited about. Cars that look like the ones seen on TV. A 200mm pan car is wide enought to be stable, but narrow enough to be racing on indoor tracks. It also allows for a very proportional looking cars - which adds to the realism factor and ultimately its visual appeal to the racing newcomer. (and that's important) Think of all the cool looking LeMans Prototypes and DP's that could be developed for this class. It'd be pretty sweet!

Back when Associated released it's pancar/touring car kit (approx 7 or 8 years ago) I made a Protoform version of the Porsche 911 GT1 body (based on the car that had just won the 24 Hrs of LeMans). At the time I hoped it would be an ingredient to help that kind of a class "take off". It didn't. The timing was all wrong apparently. Everyone wanted the latest in hight-tech 4WD chassis - and parking lot racing was really catching on as well. It's true - a pan car was just not right for parking lot racing.

Well, my feeling is that this may be a better time to invest in this 200mm pan-car format. There would be less complexity (work), fewer back-ordered "trick of the week" 4WD chassis parts and less $$ expence for the average guy. Who knows - it just might bring back some fun?

It's worth thinking about in my opinion. What do you think?

Dale Epp - Protoform Race Bodies
Attached Thumbnails
Somebody Make This into a 1/10 Scale Body-porsche-911-gt1.jpg  
daleepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #10
Tech Regular

I think that Porsche GT1-98 is one of the nicest bodes you've made. I bought an RC-10 Touring just to mount it. As you said, the class never took off but I'm stuck with a great looking body that I'll never run unless I can get you to make a few more for me!

(BTW any chances of re-releasing the Audi TT? As you know, Mini has gone through a resurgence recently. )
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #11
Tech Champion

I couldn't agree more with you guys...Dale that 911 GT1 body is still one of the coolest pan car bodies I have seen in a long time. I too wish the 200mm pan car class had taken off a bit better. I rather dislike the differences size between electric and nitro TC as it makes things way more complicated then they need to be...2 different versions of the same bodies is ineffecient.

Personally I'd prefer the GT1/LMP style cars done more realistically then the DPs but I'd take that as well. That is one of the reasons I'd like to see 1/12th go to a smaller motor since body manufacturers could then do more with the rear of the car design wise to make it more realistic. The front end is a different story because the suspension just gets in the way for how low cars are between the wheels so I don't think we would see much change there until a new style front suspesion gains popularity.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to joey

sweet body i wish i could get my hands on one to mount on my 12th scale!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:37 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

dale who do i make the check out to for the 200mm lemans.. i couldn't find that body so i had to convert my 10L3T to a 235mm car..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleepp View Post
...Well, my feeling is that this may be a better time to invest in this 200mm pan-car format. There would be less complexity (work), fewer back-ordered "trick of the week" 4WD chassis parts and less $$ expence for the average guy. Who knows - it just might bring back some fun?

It's worth thinking about in my opinion. What do you think?

Dale Epp - Protoform Race Bodies
Dale- You are 100% correct. We need something that emulates a real race car to hook that spectator into our hobby. But I don't think it' s the 200mm pan car. What I've seen popping up all over the country is the Trans-Am series using HPI, Parma, and Bolink bodies (sorry Dale, at this time none of yours are of the cars raced in the original series...even though I'd love to see you pull off a cool Mercury Cougar) I don't want to hijack the thread any further, but if you want, pm me as I would love to talk about it further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
(BTW any chances of re-releasing the Audi TT? As you know, Mini has gone through a resurgence recently. )
I emailed Protoform a few weeks ago requesting that re-release...I was shot down

rD Squared-MW Designs-C and R racing

Final Thoughts RC club R.I.P.
killingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
Tech Regular

That's too bad! Was it because of licensing issues with Audi?
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote