Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scottrik
I've got a sample size of exactly one (only made one race when I was there) but the Silver Can on LiPo (or 6-cell) is pretty darn close to 27T on 4-cell, speed wise. Wasn't doing any super-scientific tests or anything, but gut feeling was they were pretty close.
We did tests this past Summer and I can assure you a silver can on six cells or Lipo is a HUGE difference in TA racing on a track 100x50.

You can use these results from a race day last August. Look for the Trans AM times and look at the GT3 times:

http://pages.ripco.net/~kenji/strict...et_Report.html

For an intermediate racer it equates to about a 1-2 lap difference in a race. For a real good racer it would put them ahead by 3 or more laps.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
I guess the best response is

The SILVER can motor is SLOWER than a 27t Brushed motor on EQUAL Voltage.
Agreed. I assumed that's what was being asked.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Silver Cans - all the RPM and none of the torque. I keep backing gear out of my F103 trying to get to cool down a little and its not slowing down at all. There is definitely no Umph out of the corners at all.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
We did tests this past Summer and I can assure you a silver can on six cells or Lipo is a HUGE difference in TA racing on a track 100x50.

You can use these results from a race day last August. Look for the Trans AM times and look at the GT3 times:

http://pages.ripco.net/~kenji/strict...et_Report.html

For an intermediate racer it equates to about a 1-2 lap difference in a race. For a real good racer it would put them ahead by 3 or more laps.
Are you saying that you tried Silver Can / LiPo (or 6-cell) in a car that was otherwise to USVTA-spec OR that you're comparing lap times between two completely different classes of cars? I'm not OVERLY familiar with GT-3, but don't they have wings and stuff as well as more open tire rules? Wouldn't be reasonable to expect them to be a bit faster? I know I probably would...
Old 12-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=speedsterblade;5154387]I've wanted to the official rules from the start and this mess is partly why.QUOTE]

I did the same and got thoroghly bashed, so I gave up on that. I raced my Yokomo by the official USVTA rules with the added weight, I'm good with that. I'll still race it when I get the chance, and if I don't win, big deal. I've said this for years, "it's all about fun, if I have to win to have fun, it's time to quit."
Old 12-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Excuse me if I'm not following this.

So Reen, how's your driving? I've read all the complaints of 21.5/Lipo being dominant in USVTA, yet you placed third to silver can motors?

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

I have finished my TC5R I have my HPI Camaro and Tires and Wheels..does anyone run them at either Charlie Barns races or any of you running at Ultimate Hobbies. I would like to start running it next season.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Excuse me if I'm not following this.

So Reen, how's your driving? I've read all the complaints of 21.5/Lipo being dominant in USVTA, yet you placed third to silver can motors?

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand.
Valid question!

The short answer is that I finished right where I usually did with the silver can.

The long answer is that I was running a different car that day so I could try the 21.5 without tearing apart my silver can car. It was a TB-02, and I set it up exactly the same as my other TB02 that usually finishes first or second in the hands of a buddy of mine. I had planned it as an apples-to-apples comparison between silver can and 21.5/lipo geared to about 4.3 with all other things being equal. We were going to alternate cars in different heats so we'd both have a set of lap times to compare on the same track on the same day, etc. It was a big master plan for as close to a scientific test as was possible.

Well, the TB02 with the 21.5 didn't handle worth a damn and I couldn't figure it out. I think the chassis is tweaked or something. The one it was "identical" to was totally dialed.

Anyway, needless to say the test was out the window. I did learn a few things though. The guy who won is a brushed motor guru and had a "healthy" silver can to say the least. We were exactly the same speed in a straight line. I probably had more punch out of a corner, but the car was so ill-handling it was hard to tell.

After the race the winner and I switched cars and ran a bunch of laps. He's a better driver than I am for sure, and he could stay within reach of me.

I have since put the 21.5/lipo into my dialed TB02 and we'll see what happens at the next race.

The long and short of it IMO is that the silver can on 6-cell or lipo is close enough to have fun. I'd let someone new use one to try out the class and then steer them towards the Havoc 21.5 combo if they're hooked. YMMV, and if you race in one of those groups where guys are psycho about winning USVTA then there may be grumbling.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Donn
I have finished my TC5R I have my HPI Camaro and Tires and Wheels..does anyone run them at either Charlie Barns races or any of you running at Ultimate Hobbies. I would like to start running it next season.
We've got it going up here at the Freedom Park track in Camarillo, and I think some of the socal guys are planning on trying it out this spring. Hopefully we can get USVTA to catch on out here...
Old 12-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well said reen, especially since this level and type of racing is supposed to be about FUN!

Donn, bring it to the VELO..I want to see it. (We could race them there too, and I'm actually thinking about that in '09. Set up a track on the concrete infield and add a class of them on BIG OVAL days)

I'm hearing there's a NEW indoor asphalt track going into OC or something... maybe they'll race them, it's a small track I guess, and the VTA type cars are cool on small tracks.

(remember back when the NORRCA series ran the Mabuchi Motors for their oval and on-road series? FUN Classes)
Old 12-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default domingez hills

Hey Joe, When you go to the VELO please post some pics. When I try to tell folks about it, it would be nice to show them. I miss those Good Old Days. Have a good time. Big Jim

Last edited by BIG JIM WOODMAN; 12-11-2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: can't spell for crap.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Run our rules, run your own rules, but whatever you do, run this damn class! It's already single-handedly resurrecting touring cars in the U.S.

And now for something completely different...

Is scale racing influencing REAL racing?
Old 12-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Reenmachine,

Funny you should mention the "gotta win" crowd. I had the misfortune of racing with a group like that in Rock Hill SC in Oct, It was a real waste of the drive time there,(3.5 hours). I think the only part of the rules they read were the tech portions, must have skipped over the "fun" section. For 3 heats and a main, I never once heard good race, or anything close. During the races we all heard " leader coming, move!" I don't think I'll be attending any more of their "Vintage Touring" races.

Laterz,
Bob
Old 12-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Jim,

There are some pics on the website for our big annual velo race ( www.allstar-shootout.com )

but here's a little one

Back in the old RCThunderdrome days this track had a very bad condition Asphalt apron and was ALL dirt/grass on the infield. A few years ago it had a concrete apron put in with a Large concrete infield. I'm planning on bringing my T/A car this weekend to see if there is ANY traction on the infield...if there IS I'm hoping we can maybe do an exhibition class at least once next year...during one of my oval races.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi nut
Reenmachine,

Funny you should mention the "gotta win" crowd. I had the misfortune of racing with a group like that in Rock Hill SC in Oct, It was a real waste of the drive time there,(3.5 hours). I think the only part of the rules they read were the tech portions, must have skipped over the "fun" section. For 3 heats and a main, I never once heard good race, or anything close. During the races we all heard " leader coming, move!" I don't think I'll be attending any more of their "Vintage Touring" races.

Laterz,
Bob
Unfortunately those are the types I was hoping wouldn't be into the slower classes. You, might be bad form, but name the place so other people don't waste their time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.