Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

How would the Tamyia TA02 chassis preform in this class?

Lynn
Old 02-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Adept

double post..

Lynn
Old 02-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CobraRman

Lynn
If you can get the final drive ratio from 4.2 down to about 3.5, than a TA-02 would work.

A lot of times, it's all about the driver, not the car.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by starrx
random thought...HPI..could look into making premounts for vta class...it could just be basic white or black...for those that dont like mounting them up...(like me)
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Funny thing is that HPI DOES sell pre-mounted vintage tires on some of their RTR kits. So it is not like they don't already have someone gluing up wheels somewhere.
I ordered a pair of RS4 Evo 3 Nitro tires online- unfortunately it came as 2 pairs of 26mm's
Old 02-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Lynn
Hey Lynn, Welcome to the addiction !! Fellow Tamiya collector here. Very doubtful you'll be able to get the right kind of gearing for the 25.5 motor. Quite honestly, I'd be more concerned with parts breakage and replacement than anything else. Although some of those parts have commonality with other Tamiya kits, it's not like you're gonna be able to walk into any old hobby shop and find them.

You'd be better off using the Sprint for actively racing. Have you made up your mind to get the Sprint ?? Are you buying a new one ?? I only ask because there might be better alternatives we can suggest if you're open to them.

Either way.....You're gonna love VTA !!!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Hey Lynn, Welcome to the addiction !! Fellow Tamiya collector here. Very doubtful you'll be able to get the right kind of gearing for the 25.5 motor. Quite honestly, I'd be more concerned with parts breakage and replacement than anything else. Although some of those parts have commonality with other Tamiya kits, it's not like you're gonna be able to walk into any old hobby shop and find them.

You'd be better off using the Sprint for actively racing. Have you made up your mind to get the Sprint ?? Are you buying a new one ?? I only ask because there might be better alternatives we can suggest if you're open to them.

Either way.....You're gonna love VTA !!!
Thanks for the welcome! And yes, it is definitely an addiction!!
I'm restoring a Tamiya Cobra R TA02 car and I don't know if it will get run much, so I didn't know if it would have made a good racer or not, maybe back in the day.

I was pretty much set on getting me a HPI Flux and a Sport for me and my boy because I love the looks and I was impressed with the reviws I have seen, sooo.

What else is there in that price range? I don't want to break the bank and those two RTR's weren't too bad $$$ wise for what you got for what we wanted.

I live near NY and we went to Jims RC near Binghamton NY today where he has a asphalt banked oval and he was interested in running a VTA style class because some guys want to have a TC class and I may be able to run there as well.

Lynn
Old 02-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Marty--that's a 200mm nitro chassis under the body. They probably had to use the front wheel on the rear due to the wider chassis.
Thanks Rob,
Pretty much what I suspected, but had to ask. You know, Inquiring minds.......
Old 02-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

The TA-02 can't be geared higher than 5.75-and even then you must grind the dickens out of the inside of the rear end/motor mount area. Don
Old 02-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
OK, what part of the country has the biggest USVTA scene? With the new Protoform and HPI bodies out I may have to quit my job and relocate my family to someplace where I can use them.
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Nashville is good....
Originally Posted by smokefan
How about 1/2 way between Nashville and Indy
Funny you should say that...I grew up in Columbus, OH and most of my family still lives there. Mom would like to see more of me...
Old 02-22-2011, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I was pretty much set on getting me a HPI Flux and a Sport for me and my boy because I love the looks and I was impressed with the reviws I have seen, sooo.

What else is there in that price range? I don't want to break the bank and those two RTR's weren't too bad $$$ wise for what you got for what we wanted.
Lynn
Try to make this short. The downside to any RTR for VTA is that there is no RTR equipped for it. Assuming you're running the class to VTA rules, the motor and esc won't cut it. Therefore you're spending money on something that isn't right and is also a bit difficult to sell since most people can't use it.
The chassis isn't bad though and seems fairly popular for VTA. The RTR does come with the right tires/wheels/body. Also, the radio gear is basic and you'll out grow it quickly. Definitely usable to get you going though.
If you're willing to do a little leg work to find better stuff that will be legal AND that you won't easily out grow, used stuff is a good bet and there's numerous threads here regarding that subject. Lots of opinions and advice available.
If you like new, there's alot of great stuff out there that won't break the bank. Chassis like the Sakura and MI1 are great values. BTW, as for RTR's, don't rule out the TC4....it's a great chassis for VTA and has a wide variety of hop ups available but you're still looking at replacing some gear to run a VTA legal car.
Best advice though....GET RACING THE CLASS ASAP !! If your local shop supports the Sprint well, GET IT !!!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:19 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info!!

The local shop runs Sprint2's Flux's at times but he would like to get more of a touring car class going as they race mostly modified body type cars on the banked oval.

I suggested the VTA racing rules and site, but he knew his customers/racers wouldn't want to change motors and ECS to fit these rules because of the cost, he said he would consider a variation of the VTA rules to keep the cars the same.
Lynn
Old 02-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I dont think the Camaro Sprint 2 Flux is a bad idea for VTA. Sure the powertrain is not legal, but it is nice to have lying around. All you need then is a Novak VTA system like the Havoc with Ballistic 25.5 and a good batt/charger.

Plus a number kit and interior tray or driver figure to put in it.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

If anybody finds a toy Snoopy that would make a good driver figure for VTA lemme know. It can be a regular Snoopy, Flying Ace Snoopy or Joe Cool (Sunglasses and T shirt). Doesnt matter if I have to cut it to make it go in the tray. Doesnt have to be bobble head although that would be cool.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Tech Adept

How are you guy's mounting your drivers?
Wait.... That doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean...
Lynn
Old 02-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

The trays do well with just velcro or servo tape. If you borrow a bust from a Wild Willys then you will have to be more inventive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.