Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Hey so my 11.8 didn't count??!! :P
No, we're chalking that up to strange static electricity created by Fords.

But yea between 17.5BL and 27T Brushed you really couldn't tell. Fun stuff.
On that note, we had a track in the Midwest this weekend running our rules for the first time with mixed brush/brushless rules (also for the first time) and they had a big discrepancy of speeds and performance. With the testing we have done and the results we have seen first-hand, we don't think this is normal or accurate. They had large and noticeable differences on a small-ish track.

Can anyone running our rules with both motors PM or AIM/Yahoo IM me with your initial feedback on the performance results you have noticed so far? I think this was an anomaly and new class growing pains, but we'd like to make sure.

BTW, the Track section of the website is updated and corrected.

doug
Old 01-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by padailey
It's really a detailed operation. A Sharpie.. no prep! It covered great and seems to be holding up well. Not like its hard to redo! I heard someone else around somewhere did it that way so I thought I'd give it a go.

really a sharpie holds up in Chrome?
can you post i close up if the wheel?
Old 01-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChuckWick357
really a sharpie holds up in Chrome?
can you post i close up if the wheel?
My camera isn't the greatest but I'll try and take some and see how they turn out.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys,
I just ran my first races this weekend and had fun, but I do have to say the car was "a bit loose" We've been trying all sorts of traction compounds and other tire prep schemes to get a little traction, my car is already about as soft as I can make it. I was wondering if you all have any secrets on tires or if you even have problems. I was literally power sliding every turn as was most of the rest of the class. We had 18th scales spinning our cars around with a little tap Just wondering what other experiences are and if you have any tips.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thugs Bunny
Hey guys,
I just ran my first races this weekend and had fun, but I do have to say the car was "a bit loose" We've been trying all sorts of traction compounds and other tire prep schemes to get a little traction, my car is already about as soft as I can make it. I was wondering if you all have any secrets on tires or if you even have problems. I was literally power sliding every turn as was most of the rest of the class. We had 18th scales spinning our cars around with a little tap Just wondering what other experiences are and if you have any tips.
No problems here... only time I've got it loose is when I was testing at the beginning of a race day with 6 cell 27T. At the 4 cell speeds I have had no traction issues.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey guys,
I was having the same problems with my car and I ended up going to the softest springs (12.5 & 14 lb) and 25 and 35w oil. Also, make sure you're only saucing the inside of your front tires.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Hey guys,
Carpet? What car and what is your current setup? What are the allowed traction compounds? I don't think anyone I have talked to is having any issues with traction and these tires, other than Ike. But we think he's squared away now.

I know most of us are using box/kit base stock rubber setups with very few setup changes at all. In fact, my Mi2EC hasn't been touched since it last ran in stock rubber on CS27s.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

For any of you brushed motor die-hards, Rob Cutman of Custom Works just posted a bunch of new left-over CO27s for sale on DirtOval.com at a really good price.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Apex,
We're running at the Michiana track, good ozite with a solid groove. It's a mix of cars, mostly Xrays and TC3/4's. I think most of the setups are pretty close to stock rubber/carpet. I know mine started with a foam/carpet setup and is now about as soft as I can make it. It sounds like you guys are not having real traction/setup issues. We are literally driving on ice with the exception of a couple guys. It's fun to watch but tough to drive.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

The big keys are that foam tires can mask a LOT of problems that rubber can't AND that "soft" ain't necessarily all it's cracked up to be.

"Soft" suspension settings allow a LOT of weight transfer that can lead to handling problems.

It sounds like you're experiencing "loose" condition. Is it loose going into the turn (hooking on turn-in), loose mid-corner as you start to balance the car on-throttle or loose off the turn as you apply power?

We're running 4-cell 19T for our TA and none of the "experienced" runners are having any sort of traction problem and we're on a "club" track that is rolled out for each race-day with, generally, a new layout so this is NO groove racing.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Doug,

i run at the same track as (Thugs Bunny ) ok, back to the post. Were both running a TC4, others are running Tc3 and x-ray. Mine was doing pretty good. I TQ'd with 30 laps. My fastest lap time was 9.50. Our current track is pretty fast for our track. I have mine set up with a push entering the corners otherwise the thing is way too loose in the back. i have
Front
Blue springs
#2 piston
40 wt oil.

Rear
Green springs
#2 pistons
35 wt oil.

i tried the silver front spring and had too much steering. I was planning to try the silver fronts again with a #1 piston in the rear and 20 wt oil. Ant suggestions ?

what are your guys lap times ?

oh yeah my 17.5 set up with a 6 cell GTb is weighing in at 1540 grams, almost 90 grams heavier than the min. 1450. I'm not sure if this is helping or not ?

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Carpet? What car and what is your current setup? What are the allowed traction compounds? I don't think anyone I have talked to is having any issues with traction and these tires, other than Ike. But we think he's squared away now.

I know most of us are using box/kit base stock rubber setups with very few setup changes at all. In fact, my Mi2EC hasn't been touched since it last ran in stock rubber on CS27s.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Apex,
We're running at the Michiana track, good ozite with a solid groove. It's a mix of cars, mostly Xrays and TC3/4's. I think most of the setups are pretty close to stock rubber/carpet. I know mine started with a foam/carpet setup and is now about as soft as I can make it. It sounds like you guys are not having real traction/setup issues. We are literally driving on ice with the exception of a couple guys. It's fun to watch but tough to drive.
If your talking about the King of the Road Race track this weekend I watched the TA race and as a T/C foam (prefered) and a T/C rubber and 1/12 racer I thought all the cars looked like they were washing out the rear end on corner entry and mid corner. The thing I noticed is most of them seem to have a fairly flat (left to right) attitude with little chassis roll, most of the fast guys running rubber have at least a little roll but it is the result of roll center and drop settings and not soft suspension.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Addict

Default trans am

Ken,

yes, that's the race were talking about. I've never owned a TC till now, so can you explain to me what drop setting is and what should we be looking for, more or less when running rubber tires ? Is roll center similer to weight transfer..like from RT to LT ?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Adept

Ken,
So you're saying raise the roll center and add droop?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Tech Addict

If you look at the results my "best" lap was 9.502 in ONE race, the others were 9.6or slower with the 17.5 BL, there were 2 other guys that ran a "best" lap of 9.6. The top 2 qualifiers were 30 laps, 1- 17.5.and.1-brushed, the next 2 brushed were 29 laps. My car never spun out in the rear, as many others were having this problem. Coming off the 180 deg. corner and all the way down the long straight there were other brushed cars just as fast or even a touch faster than mine. i think it was car set up more than anything else.

On that note, we had a track in the Midwest this weekend running our rules for the first time with mixed brush/brushless rules (also for the first time) and they had a big discrepancy of speeds and performance. With the testing we have done and the results we have seen first-hand, we don't think this is normal or accurate. They had large and noticeable differences on a small-ish track.

Can anyone running our rules with both motors PM or AIM/Yahoo IM me with your initial feedback on the performance results you have noticed so far? I think this was an anomaly and new class growing pains, but we'd like to make sure.

BTW, the Track section of the website is updated and corrected.

doug[/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.