Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 04:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Actually, the next rule change that effects brushed 27t motors will be to eliminate them from the USVTA options completely. This won't happen for a little while yet,

How long is "a little while yet" ?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Time

It's a little less than a long time! LOL. Hey Eli you got a VTA i can run?They look cool.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'm working on one. You are more than welcome to run it. I have a spare RDX that I can sell someone if interested.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
Some are testing a SINGLE CELL 3.7 v LIPO cell for racing - which would totally change the motor structure (AGAIN) but could be a decent choice for a whole BUNCH of various speeds in the near future.
I was about to ask that. I would like to see what the speeds are like. I thought a single cell lipo with a 13.5 might be close to the 21.5 lipo combination. Just wondering, you know.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Adept

Put together a USVTA over the last couple of weeks and showed up at Fastcats yesterday to try it.
What a cool class
Not a class here yet but a lot of interest.
Built up a HPI Camaro with a 21.5 Lipo on a Tamiya 415 MSXX.
The car handles very well on carpet. Looking forward to the Novak Race
Old 11-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

A change in the motor option choices in the USVTA won't happen until after this winter season (read: next summer). When ROAR adopts rules for the 21.5 motor construction, there will be an amendment to the 21.5s allowed.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by K_Spec_RC
This sparked a thought... What if ROAR tried to add VTA as a national class? Good? Bad? I am 99.999999% sure it would never happen, but it does pose an interesting question. I think that one of the reasons it is such a popular class is because it is a class for racers, by racers.
<Cough>

If ROAR was to take it over, I think it would loose that feel and eventually fade out. Thoughts?
Not a chance of that happening. Grassroots will always be grassroots, but you never know about what happens at a higher level.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by K_Spec_RC
This sparked a thought... What if ROAR tried to add VTA as a class? Good? Bad? I am 99.999999% sure it would never happen

Hope you didn't go to Vegas with that percentage.......
Old 11-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
Hope you didn't go to Vegas with that percentage.......
Old 11-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Roar always has the option of adding 1 class to any nationals if there's a "Local Class". I remember at Trackside when they hosted the carpet oval nats they had the "Trackside Cup" class. At the recent Nats at the Plex they had 13.5 Rubber. A host track can add 1 class at their digression if agreed upon with ROAR, correct Dawn?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Actually, the next rule change that effects brushed 27t motors will be to eliminate them from the USVTA options completely. This won't happen for a little while yet, but there are no plans to offer any more changes to the brushed motor option. The reality is, the 27t doesn't need the help—it's already the fastest motor of the 3 choices with regular maintenance and rebuilding.

The future of this class is 21.5/LiPo, and we are rapidly getting to the point where if you are running anything else, you're not going to be up front at the end. Not to say that it can't be done with something else, but your odds are decreasing rapidly as this class progresses and the majority moves to the most consistent, easy to maintain and cost-effective powerplant option.

Be prepared—21.5/LiPo is where this class is headed.
We do not see that and I think you will see some splits from that approach. This class works from the grass roots side and that approach is totally oposite.
The statement saying you need power option c is a problem in itself.

VTA has to make sure that all power options are equal and speeds are kept in check or it will just evolve into another rubber tire sedan class.....
Old 11-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hi DAWN....

Did you WIN re-election yet? ( I followed enough POLITICS this year and haven't been watching the ROAR election info.)

ammdrew

where are you running VTA? (You are in CA aren't you?)

I'm looking for places that are running it out here....(ideas for the future)

I know we're doing it up the Coast in NIPOMO and the VENTURA Road Runners is running kind of an outlaw version with the Mabuchi type motors...

I sent the idea to Doug about increasing the 17.5 B/L motors to 5 cell, since that would make that package much close to the 21.5 (Power and RPM) I haven't run a BRUSHED STOCK motor for a while so I don't know if that would work for that combo too or not.

The (5) cell 17.5 might NOT work for official U.S.V.T.A. guidelines, but it might be something that works at YOUR tracks.

Our LOCAL Club Track is pretty big (inside of a 110 x 80 ft. box) and the 21.5/LIPO speeds are fun....but with 4 cell to keep up we allowed 19t motors instead of stock. (the 21.5 walked the STOCK motors)
Old 11-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Once ROAR has their spec ironed out for the 21.5 and then they start to list legal motors, they will be allowed in the USVTA. Hopefully, ROAR will be proactive with the future of these motors and mandate some sort of ID markings to distinguish "pre-approval" motors from the future-legal 21.5s.

I'm crossing my fingers with that one. Tech might be miserable if that doesn't happen, as you'll have legal motors and potentially illegal motors in the same motor pool. Ugh. The thought of that alone makes me want a single motor solution, even though I realize that it's not a practical solution.
As long as you have a gearing limit on the 21.5 motor, you should stick with a single manufacturer. Otherwise, every time a new 21.5 comes out that has a higher RPM power band, everybody will need to buy one to stay on the pace. ROAR rules won't prevent this.

A single manufacturer rule is quite practical, as long as you are clear about it now. BRL rules seem to be working fine. There are few 21.5 motors being raced today that aren't Novak.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkBrown
As long as you have a gearing limit on the 21.5 motor, you should stick with a single manufacturer. Otherwise, every time a new 21.5 comes out that has a higher RPM power band, everybody will need to buy one to stay on the pace. ROAR rules won't prevent this.

A single manufacturer rule is quite practical, as long as you are clear about it now. BRL rules seem to be working fine. There are few 21.5 motors being raced today that aren't Novak.
I worry about that. Don't know much about brushless yet. But if going to any ROAR aprroved motor ends up meaning replacing what I have to keep up, I'm out. I loved the idea of a cheap class, if it becomes a motor of the month class, I'll stick to Slash racing.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Minnesota.

Curently we do not allow the 21.5/lipo combo until we can find a spec that will not require all current rracers to buy new equipment to compete.

5 celll 17.5 is the wrong direction on speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.