Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless motor testing

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I agree 100%, Watts does not neccessarily mean the best motor.
I can see someone cutting off there finger soon.
HORSE POWER is POWER , WATTS is what we use for HORSEPOWER.

Your right inso far as it doesn't mean it's your best motor...some tracks are better with TORQUE than HORSEPOWER..and Some lower horsepower motors spool up quicker with HIGH RPM and suit a drivers style..but with lower WATTS or HORSEPOWER it's much easier to overgear...and kill the power band of a motor. A motor with MORE power usually has a tad wider power band and is a little more forgiving. (At least from what I've experienced)

I still maintain - you give me a HIGHER POWER (HORSEPOWER) motor and I can make it outrun your RPM motor. (I won't say I can OUTDRIVE the other guy - cause my driving SUCKS)
Old 12-13-2007, 01:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default BL

The characteristics of motors make the difference on the track it may be a torque or rpm motor. This depends on the strength of magnetic fields that determines if it is torque or rmp motor.
What we try to alter the efficiency at low revs or high or mid range. A motor will work at its best at a certain point and when it drops below or goes above that’s when it becomes inefficient and we go slower.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jmccormick
And it has actualy made some guys faster because by not having the fastest motors they worked on CHASSIS set up to make them faster and now with the motors being equal it in some cases has given the edge to the guy that has had to use his chassis skills to be fast

You will find it harder to get help with chassis settings because that will be the only edge that some drivers will have left.They will not be so willing to give up their secrets anymore.As of right now,i can get good chassis help,but time will tell.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yeahyeah
What we try to alter the efficiency at low revs or high or mid range. A motor will work at its best at a certain point and when it drops below or goes above that’s when it becomes inefficient and we go slower.
For a brushless DC motor, the peak power and peak efficiency are very rarely at the same shaft speed, so you need to make the appropriate compromise between power (speed) and efficiency (battery life).