R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-10-2007, 05:31 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Brushless motor testing

Is there a way to measure your brushless motor performance without specialized equipment?

How do you when its time to buy a new motor?
yeahyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:16 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

here you go, this is for novak motors

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/m...ech/index.html
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:16 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahyeah View Post
Is there a way to measure your brushless motor performance without specialized equipment?

How do you when its time to buy a new motor?
I Think if you replace the rotor it will be like new, to test you have to run it through the BL ESC

Alf :-)
alf.skaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Big John Zubak offers a nice unit called the "zubak speed meter" it measures the magnetic output of the rotor. If the rotors mag is weak then replace it simple as that and the performance of the motor will be like new.
Other then this tool and a temp gun I dont see any other "specialized" stuff needed for brushless.

this sure beats
1)motor lath
2)hood alignment tool
3)various types of brushes and spring combo's
4)mag zapper
5)shims
6)motor dyno
7)various lubes and drops(for motors)lol
8)comm stick
etc etc
Jmccormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:22 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmccormick View Post

this sure beats
1)motor lath
2)hood alignment tool
4)mag zapper
5)shims
6)motor dyno
8)comm stick
etc etc
Amen to that!
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Quote:
Big John Zubak offers a nice unit called the "zubak speed meter" it measures the magnetic output of the rotor. If the rotors mag is weak then replace it simple as that and the performance of the motor will be like new.
Other then this tool and a temp gun I dont see any other "specialized" stuff needed for brushless.

this sure beats
1)motor lath
2)hood alignment tool
4)mag zapper
5)shims
6)motor dyno
8)comm stick
etc etc
Thats because it is still new. There will be more tuning options available for these motors eventually. I can see there being options of rotors in .1mm increments, different timing, different wire sizes, different material for laminations, everyone trying to find the strongest or weakest magnet rotors to give the best performance on a particular track, people will figure out ways to reprogram speedos to give more timing. The time is not here yet but it will be. It's racing, racers will go to all measures to make every thing faster.

Paul
Old 12-10-2007, 08:05 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

dont ya just love it companies market brushless first off as maintenance free then pushed performance soon they will be selling upgrades etc etc. kinda stuff our selves up. can never be happy with what we have. what was wrong with 4.5 turn motors? sure go faster but if the guy next to u runs a 3.5 aswell then ur really no faster. so why not a gentlemens agreement? save us all money. i think were all a lil crazy
M11
SP GT
SP 5.5,17.5
aus jd 2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:06 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Finally a pro comes out with the real info about brushless technology. I've only been saying this for over a year, new tech, new toys, new developments.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicky03 View Post
Thats because it is still new. There will be more tuning options available for these motors eventually. I can see there being options of rotors in .1mm increments, different timing, different wire sizes, different material for laminations, everyone trying to find the strongest or weakest magnet rotors to give the best performance on a particular track, people will figure out ways to reprogram speedos to give more timing. The time is not here yet but it will be. It's racing, racers will go to all measures to make every thing faster.
I totally agree. In fact, I'm surprised it hasn't happened more already, especially with the oval crowd.

What I'm not sure of, yet, is how much those things will matter. Clearly, a tuned brushed stock motor is MUCH faster than an untuned one, so there's a lot of incentive to spend all that time with them. If the gains are much smaller when tuning brushless, will people still spend as much time and effort trying to get them right? The tuning with brushless seems to be more about feel than outright speed. I'll be very interested to see how things progress. What do you think?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:54 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus jd 2703 View Post
so why not a gentlemens agreement?
No such thing in R/C. People will always look for the upper hand...shame, really
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:21 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
I totally agree. In fact, I'm surprised it hasn't happened more already, especially with the oval crowd
Well, I'm hoping since there are a lot of us OVAL types that have seen So many mistakes made over the years. (Especially guys like me who have been racing over 22 years)

Currently a big reason why things are NOT too badly screwed up with technology and brushless motors in OVAL racing is because we are limiting the racing to just ONE MFG.

There are some who don't like this - and for the most part 'WE DON'T CARE'

Staying with ONE motor Mfg. has created some of THE closet racing we have ever had. It's made the racing so much MORE about the quality of the driver vs. WHO HAS THE BIGGEST BUDGET or the ACCESS to "Closed Door" technology.

For the most part there has only been 2 motor MFG's on the market during my first 2 decades of racing. EPIC and YOKOMO Yes there are/were others like AYK , RACE PREP, AIR SUPPLY and a couple others who grabbed a very small piece of the market at times..but year in and year out it was the BIG TWO..and really #2 in the BIG TWO appeared to have about a 10% market share.

YOU Want Technology to SCREW up racing - let the MFG's go WILD building what ever...and you'll have it.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Thats because it is still new. There will be more tuning options available for these motors eventually. I can see there being options of rotors in .1mm increments, different timing, different wire sizes, different material for laminations, everyone trying to find the strongest or weakest magnet rotors to give the best performance on a particular track...
Those items are things you buy, and can't be altered/modified. They are drop-in replacements or different types of motors. It's nothing that a new racer would need tuning equipment for. No need to spend a year or more learning how to tune properly.

Quote:
....people will figure out ways to reprogram speedos to give more timing. The time is not here yet but it will be.
Paul
You can advance or retard the timing until you are blue in the face. The strength of the electromagnetic field the coils produce will only generate so much Watts of power out of the motor.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[
For the most part there has only been 2 motor MFG's on the market during my first 2 decades of racing. EPIC and YOKOMO Yes there are/were others like AYK , RACE PREP, AIR SUPPLY and a couple others who grabbed a very small piece of the market at times..but year in and year out it was the BIG TWO..and really #2 in the BIG TWO appeared to have about a 10% market share.

Igarashi, mabuchi, and old checkpoint.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Igarashi, mabuchi, and old checkpoint
Yup, in 22 years I bought at least ONE of each of those too. (Still have the original CHECKPOINT from some 15-16 years ago)

Mabuchi is probably THE biggest 540 motor builder by volume....I'd bet!
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

this sure beats
1)motor lath
2)hood alignment tool
4)mag zapper
5)shims
6)motor dyno
8)comm stick
etc etc
Instead you have:
1) Timing
2) sintered, non-sintered
3) Ceramic bearings or not
4) Rotor Diameter
5) sensored / Sensorless
6) Zubak speed meter (as pricey as most brushed tools combined)
7) Not to mention no real means of dyno-ing
8) Still more to be determined since this is an infantile technology in RC

Now don't take this wrong I am slowly converting over to BL, but at $80 for a stock motor thats ~3 brushed motors and I still run an old CO-27 and still competitevly as new ones if cared for. My point is BL is convient and fast out of the box... but the winners will still be those who buy the bearings, measure rotor dia, and rotor magnetic strength, Going throwing many away to get the right one...etc...etc

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote