Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why need for standard 13.5 motor??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Not to start a fight but I think the rules are what gave birth to the basher.

Club racing is about practice racing. I would say in clubs on an club race the rules should and are pretty much lenient.
Not every one wants to play by the rules, its there hobby not there obsession.

Now in a sanctioned event I can see the need for uniformity. Its important to each participant that the race be fair.
Unfortunately, many members of this board have the same vision of club racing... that it is just practice racing. For those racers that attend regional and national events, it might very well be. But, a vast majority of club racers will never attend anything other than a club race. So, for them, club racing is what this hobby is all about.

Rules are required at ALL levels of racing. At large sanctioned events, it is required that the monitoring of the rules be much more stringent and public. But, even at the local level, it's important for all racers to feel that they are playing on the same level field.

I've been in this hobby for nearly 18 years now. I've run at quite a few regional and national level events. But, now I've decided that I'm more into the weekly fun racing. I don't want to spend the massive amount of time necessary to tune my car and motors properly. I also don't want to feel the pressure to compete at the highest level all the time. But, when I come to the track on raceday, I want to know that I'm racing against similar equipment. I have no problem being beaten by another racer. I have a HUGE problem if that racer is running a modified motor in stock class.

I love the earlier post "Racing without rules is bashing." Even if the rules are 'fudged' a bit at club racing, they are still rules as long as everybody knows where that line is drawn.

We need rules for 13.5, 17.5, 10.5 and whatever motor limit classes there are. Anything else is just changing all classes to Open Mod. Actually, I think that the change to brushless is a GREAT opportunity to bring Stock back to where it belongs. A motor with reasonable power (not too fast) that gives all racers roughly equal power and allows the racers to showcase their vehicle tuning and driving skills.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

One issue with the way the rules are being brought to the table right now is the exclusion of design.

I agree that rules should be set however they should be done with an open mind. This means that not all currently offered designs may be the design/spec chosen.

Major items like stack, air gap, wire, wire length, etc. These are the things that should be ruled on. Things that without majorly expensive test equipment can be tested. Club racing by far pays for more of "racings" technology anyhow. Most club racers start out with motors that aren't legal. Almost every RTR "race" vehicle out there comes with a cheap machine wound mod motor! They can't just show up to the track and run in the stock class with that.

Rules need to be in place but like I said before, they shouldn't simply benefit certain companies or designs. Once again I think a look at real racing should be done to compare what we in R/C are trying to acomplish.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Once again I think a look at real racing should be done to compare what we in R/C are trying to acomplish.
CAN YOU SAY - Crate Motors!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Part of the my reason for think 3.7v is the way to go is that you need no new winds...just put in a 3.7v pack and motor up until you get to 27T 4.8v lap times.

Another reason is lighter weight. Lighter weight means les tire wear, less inertia during crashes, etc.
AdrianM,

Also all very good points (seems I've heard them all before about 10 years ago....oh yeah that's when we pushed it for OVAL and were beat to death by ALL the other R/C formats for CHANGING from the 'standard' 6 cell format)

Which is one of the other reason we pushed this time for different MOTORS - since the industry still seems to be stuck on voltages based around the 7.2 area.

But even dropping to 4 cell from 6 - we never slowed down THAT much...because STOCK motors got better, MOD Motors went to LOWER winds with Higher RPM's, Batteries more than DOUBLED in capacity and single cell voltage went from an average of 1.11 to 1.25 at a rate of 15 more amps. (from 20 to 35), plus the CURRENT 4 cells weigh more than the 6 cells did 10 years ago.

Now 10 years later, we've got some great LIPO cells that let us run the HIGHER voltage and we've got some NEW motors that let us run very close speeds that are easy to drive. Plus these NEW batteries are lighter which is just an ADDED bonus.