tire warmers Usefull?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tire warmers Usefull?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 03:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

I find tyre warmers an essential with rubber carpet and very useful with rubber asphalt
Old 11-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

What are the best tire warmers being used today?
Old 11-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

The computerised Much-More ones are pretty much the only ones available at the top end of the market. Yokomo made some similar ones but I think they are pretty rare now.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wstuart
How long do you bake your tires at that temperature.
As long as they cook for at least 20 minutes you're good. Leaving on for long periods should'nt be a issue either if your are using a towel inside the warmer to help hold the sauce.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
What are the best tire warmers being used today?
I had the Yoko's and they work very well. However, I like the Much More platinums much better. The cups are nicer and it has more features.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
I Feel that warmers are as usefull or even more so when practicing. Think about it. If you make a change and head out to check the results you have to run several laps to get the tires up to temp, before you can gauge the results of the change you made. But if you use warmers you can see the change imediately. In only one or two laps you'll know if your change was for the good or not.

As far as what temps to use; I base it on what the outside temp and the track temps are. when the tires are nice and warm the will hold that temp rather well if its a warm or hot day. If it's cold outside, I set the warmers a bit higher to compensate for the heat the will lose while your waiting on the last guy to get to the line. On a hot day I set to about 120f and when its cold I set to about 135f or 140f.
I am new to running rubber tires so your argument about using them in practice convinced me to buy a set. I bought the Trinity warmers and hooked them to a small 12v power supply. They worked well, but I found out that getting the tires too warm will have you sliding all over until they COOL down some. During race day I turned them on prior to the heat before mine started, but if I had it to do over I would have gotten a set with a controller.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Try hooking the warmers up to an old 7.2V pack. Should help stop the overheating. Assuming it gets the tyres warm enough in the first place on the lower voltage.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I'm still getting a feel for the rubbers... ahem.

So what's the rule of thumb for temperature on carpet? I'm kind of a nub, never used warmers before. How warm do you get them? How long to you warm them, etc? Is there a quick guide on the whole process somewhere?
I have read and soaked in lots of useful info from your posts in the past. So I will give you my experience with Tire Warmers.

CONDITIONS:
-Carpet
-Low/Medium Traction
-Weather: 35-65F during race season.
-Tires: CS27's or CS22's
-Compound: Paragon Black can or Death Grip with Tweak.
-Warmer: Much More IC with large cups.

At first I would run my tires clean with no compound for 8-10minutes. Temp all four tires and this is your baseline. Using my current scenario, my tires are at 79-81F after 8-10minutes of practice. I sauce up and wrap those "Blue Auto Shop Rags" that you can find at WalMart or any Auto store between the tires and warmers. I set my warmers to 95F which will give me a target temp of 80F after a couple of minutes on the warmers. The idea is to compensate for the rags change in temp while warming. I bake the sauce for 5minutes and can run the car as is. Their is no visible "sweat" on the tires and you are ready to go. You can leave the warmers on as long as you want and will not hurt tire performance from my experience. I have ran CS27's for a month consistently until the tires came off the rim. This is only my experience and others may say otherwise. You can also resauce after 5minutes on the warmers or use "Tweak" at this time. "Mrrcguy" has a good point about setting the temp a little higher when extremely cold outside as you are waiting to "tech" or setting up on the "grid". My ideal warming time is 10-15minutes. The first two laps running 27T with rubbers is crucial for me to get in position as my opponents have to warm up their tires. Good Luck and post your own findings.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

fav0re,

Thank you, I really appreciate it. It'll be a little while before I get around to grabbing some warmers, but once I do, I'll report back. Glad a few of my past posts were helpful to you.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are these the ones that will run off a power supply or stick pack?

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c....pl?pn=MCHMMTW

I am planning on ordering them tommrow and want to make shure.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
fav0re,

Thank you, I really appreciate it. It'll be a little while before I get around to grabbing some warmers, but once I do, I'll report back. Glad a few of my past posts were helpful to you.
Your welcome. If you're ready to make the move to tire warmers, make sure you do it right and purchase the Much More IC. Nothing beats them. Pricey but they are the best. They monitor each tire and will compensate once the temp drops below the target temp. They will also hold the temp without going over the desired temp. Other products will only do the front or back or none at all. Many locals use the Trinity wraps which do a horrible job since the temp is based on what input voltage is used and how long you put them on the tires for. I have better things to do such as helping others before a round versus constantly monitoring the tires for 10 minutes. Overheating them will cause premature wear and crap out on you during a race. Sorry for the long explanation.

Originally Posted by Tim W.
Are these the ones that will run off a power supply or stick pack?

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c....pl?pn=MCHMMTW

I am planning on ordering them tommrow and want to make shure.
Double check your part numbers as these maybe the replacements for the Much More IC unit. If they are, they should have a Tamiya like plug with 6 connectors which will be useless to you unless you already have the IC unit.

Anyone who is ready to buy tire warmers have passed the "friendly race" attitude and is looking for that "edge" to beat the competition. Do it right and get the best. You will save yourself the headache with cheap $50 eBay warmers. Go to "nexusracing.net" and the owner stocks them consistantly. Their service is excellent and can have your item shipped to you before race day. They are based in Georgia which is a plus for us versus going through some Hong Kong dealer who will never tell you an estimated delivery date.

Last edited by fav0re; 11-26-2007 at 07:15 AM.