Wiki Posts
Search

Should ROAR ban NiMh in 2008?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Desolas
No, the smarter thing to do would be to ban IB4200/EP4200+ cells and force everyone to go back to IB3800's. It would be more economical, actually drop the price of racing, and bring battery reliability back.

That's if they were to consider such a thing. ROAR's head is too far up their ass when it comes to electric racing to do anything about ANYTHING when it comes to electrics. If NIMH receiver packs in 1/8 gas cars were blowing up on the other hand you'd see them acting today about it...
So sad but yet so true!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

actually bring back GP3300's and 6 cell will make a comeback!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Can someone explain why the batteries are being blamed for the racer overcharging them and them wondering why they exploded? The battery manufacturers shouldn't be blamed for not taking into account the "stupid human" element. Racers who crank up their charger to get the extra "edge" shouldn't be claiming "bad batteries" when they are pumping double digit amps through their packs and they go boom.
And lipos, lower capacities, or different chemical makeup will make no difference. Anything can be blown up given the motivation and a "what seemed like a good idea at the time" moment.

Last edited by Impulse_racer; 11-09-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

in offroad i run lipo
but for 1/12 we need sub c cells
lipos wont work.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

I say we ban retarded posters
Old 11-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Impulse_racer
Can someone explain why the batteries are being blamed for the racer overcharging them and them wondering why they exploded? The battery manufacturers shouldn't be blamed for not taking into account the "stupid human" element. Racers who crank up their charger to get the extra "edge" shouldn't be claiming "bad batteries" when they are pumping double digit amps through their packs and they go boom.
And lipos, lower capacities, or different chemical makeup will make no difference. Anything can be blown up given the motivation and a "what seemed like a good idea at the time" moment.
It all goes back to the lipo agenda to bash any nimh and create a "scare factor". You can probably go back to any of the 3 threads a day and find similar.

I have no problem with lipo as there are maybe 5-6 guys locally I race with that uses lipo. However the lipo advocates on these forums take it to an extreme by going out of the way to post these nimh bashings.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:24 AM
Tech Champion

The second part of the banning of the batteries was to NOT allow direct soldering of any electical components to the batteries.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BSchorr
I say we ban retarded posters
Well, it was nice knowing you.

C'mon man you walked right into that.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Tech Addict

Default Much Less?

I believe Much More are releasing a new range of chargers/equalizers to aid this development,

THEY ONLY HAVE ONE CHARGE DISCHARGE OPTION, 1AMP

C'mon, man you can make so called idiot proof easy to use gear but can never take the idiot out of the user.

And lipos are going to be the Safer alternative?

Ill take my chances charging at 10 amp

Simon
Old 11-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Tech Initiate

I agree that it is us that are the prob. Surely all cells made have to pass certain quality control requirements before they can be used.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Impulse_racer
The problem is with the cells, too high of a self dischage rate damages the cells before they get to the hands of consumers. Sure, some blow up by being abused, but the 2 packs I have seen vent hard were either on their first or second charge.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

these days turn around time are only30-40 minutes, so chasrging at 6amps is required if you want your batts to peak
Old 11-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I was thinking they should ban electronic speed controls. I have had them short internally and melt into a hot puddle of mush. That is dangerous. They also smell bad when they melt. Airbourne pathogens may have damaged my lungs.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by magm20001
these days turn around time are only30-40 minutes, so chasrging at 6amps is required if you want your batts to peak
Charge the day before.... and re-peak on the night?

really, the only way you are going to get out of this loop is to just not buy these cells, get them banned, when IB stop selling the cells and ask why they are not selling, they will go back and change the internal structure and composition to make them more robust. Technology moves on, and I see nobody complaining of the performance of the cell, but with performance comes fragility, can't have one without the other..... just try running your IB42 then slap a GP37 in, your car just feels dead on the GP cell.

I don't see any need to charge above 5A, off-road or on-road, the gain is so miniscule to be almost pointless. When the 1700SCE cell from Sanyo came out, 4A max charge and temp peaking was the only way to go, the most robust cell ever, Sanyo 1700SCRC was still only 4.5 - 5A charge. The extra current is just heating up the cell, making it vent, or in the case of the cells that have gone pop, not vented due to the vents being blocked.

LiPo is good, I dunno if it is the future saviour of RC, there is to much 'what ifs' with them at the mo, what if you got an old charger, what if you got an old esc with no lipo cut-off, what if you allow someone to run the foil pack cells.... what if.... I think, for it to be truly the new power source, it needs a few more years for the technology to trickle down through the racers to the second hand market.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I dont think so. There are some people that are firmly rooted that nimhs are the best and I think that banning them would have a harsh negative effect. Although I wouldnt mind them to allow lipos, but they dont have to ban nihm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.