Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should ROAR ban NiMh in 2008?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Was there a contest for who can start the most amount of NiMH vs. Li-Po threads announced recently? geeze lol You know... I don't think the horse has been beaten enough... it may just get back up in a second. lol
Old 11-09-2007, 11:08 AM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
No! my charger malfunction.....

Not my fault at all...
Then ban the charger.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

This is gonna get me scorned and hated...."Who cares what ROAR does !" I have raced for three years now and have yet to run a ROAR event....Sure alot of the tracks I've been to use a modified version of their rules for conduct and format.....but come on now.....With tracks being run by a LHS and covering the insurance for their tracks it is their right make the rules...I understand ROAR helps clubs open tracks by offering insurance and therefore should have a say on the safety aspects of what goes on.........Bottom line is tracks need to make rules that grow the hobby as well as their business so they will be around for us in the future......on topic....All batteries CAN be hazardous....wanna ban them all like Norway???
Old 11-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

I want to chime in on this whole Roar Insurance thing.
I am an insurance agent in Ontario and have been in the business for 10+ years, our on-road 1/8 club has a Roar Membership requirement, which I happily joined, when I received the information in the mail I carefully read the insurance section.
I found it to be very very scarce, not very much protection to cover the track, nor any reason that a racer would require it from a liability stand point.
In Canada we have Liability Insurance tied to our Home, Condo & Tenant policies which will cover you anywhere in the world, the wording is designed to cover all members of the household/family unit.
I pay for a roar membership, and I know that if I do something stupid and I am found negligent my Homeowners policy will protect me to the tune of $2,000,000 liability, If I am injured at a race, my Ontario Health Care coverage will pay for any expenses and my group insurance will take care of anything they don't cover.
Now in the lovely USA where people get rich from bogus lawsuits and precedence you want to cover your behind, however I don't feel that the Roar membership is the best way to go.

One other thing, your local clubs general liability is not covered by Roar either, so a slip and fall or any other premises type of injury is excluded from the Roar membership, so I ask the question. Who is Roar serving????
It is not serving me!

Grant
Old 11-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

News Flash:

ROAR has announced an immediate ban on all ALL BRANDS and TYPES of BATTERIES. This includes Alkaline, LiPo, NiCd, NiMh, LiMn for all Radio's and any moving RC vehicle.

The replacement for batteries has been announced. The new power source will be supplied by Hasbro's after their winning million dollar bid. The power source will be a wind-up power generation device good for 15-seconds of power each wind-up cycle. Each winding cycle will take 30-minutes by hand. It is estimated that this new, revolutionary, power source will save the environment and cure the nationwide obesity issue.

Update: The Consumer Advocacy group has just stepped in and has asked ROAR to ban the new, revolutionary, wind-up power sources from Hasbro in fears that long-term repeated winding could cause wrist related injury's, thus preventing all you Safety Nazi's from writing these stupid ass ban's in the first place.

Get real people, our country, and others, are raising a generation of Puss's.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kn7671
News Flash:

ROAR has announced an immediate ban on all ALL BRANDS and TYPES of BATTERIES. This includes Alkaline, LiPo, NiCd, NiMh, LiMn for all Radio's and any moving RC vehicle.

The replacement for batteries has been announced. The new power source will be supplied by Hasbro's after their winning million dollar bid. The power source will be a wind-up power generation device good for 15-seconds of power each wind-up cycle. Each winding cycle will take 30-minutes by hand. It is estimated that this new, revolutionary, power source will save the environment and cure the nationwide obesity issue.

Update: The Consumer Advocacy group has just stepped in and has asked ROAR to ban the new, revolutionary, wind-up power sources from Hasbro in fears that long-term repeated winding could cause wrist related injury's, thus preventing all you Safety Nazi's from writing these stupid ass ban's in the first place.

ha ha! very funny
Old 11-09-2007, 03:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Didn't Hasbro just announce a recall on 175,000 of those wind-up power generation device's because of lead paint content?

Originally Posted by kn7671
News Flash:

Old 11-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If everyone keeps pushing the limits on NIMH they will keep on having issues. The companies making them are trying to pack all that into a little cell. The matchers are matching at higher rates than ever before. The racers are charging at rates that are unheard of. Before long we will be charging a 2c 1000mah Lipo at 8 amps.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, at least as far as safety is concerned, it's pretty funny how people think rules and regulations will fix everything despite the lack of the human decision making factor. For example, people want more laws to protect pedestrians, yet when those same people cross the street, they don't even bother to look since "pedestrians have the right of way".
Old 11-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Tech Regular

Talking

i was licking my Ib 4200 cell the other day and got stoned and horny? it seems the date rape drug is on the shrink wrap of the IB cells? crazy stuff
Old 11-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have a better idea how about everytime a racer beats on his stuff by trying charge at 12 1/2 amps a big hammer will come down and smack the person in the head because mostly it's the racer and not the cells if you ban these and goto lipo do you really believe this will fix anything.....If so I want what your smoking because what I have isn't getting the job done.

I like both batteries nimh and lipo when used correctly they not that bad but when they are not taken care of by the racer accidents WILL happen period so putting a ban on type of battery or another isn't going to do anything at all
Old 11-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

I say ban ROAR. Go nitro or get wind up toys.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Whatever they do they need to put limits on the cells. Whether the limit is on contents of the cell, mahr's, voltage, etc. No matter what type of cell we run, we are going to push the limits to get every tenth.... it's inevitable.

Personally, I really don't care what cell we run. Someone needs to make a decision and stick to it. Either way, people are going to be pissed.

Lets go racing!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by satoch
I say ban ROAR. Go nitro or get wind up toys.
Another cancellation!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:22 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A lot of cases of NiMh explosions have been reported.

Should ROAR ban NiMh in 2008?

They have done that to lipo for a lot less in 2007.
No, the smarter thing to do would be to ban IB4200/EP4200+ cells and force everyone to go back to IB3800's. It would be more economical, actually drop the price of racing, and bring battery reliability back.

That's if they were to consider such a thing. ROAR's head is too far up their ass when it comes to electric racing to do anything about ANYTHING when it comes to electrics. If NIMH receiver packs in 1/8 gas cars were blowing up on the other hand you'd see them acting today about it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.